A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
170 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glove Strap Tutorial  (Read 452 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
WingsoftheWind
« on: March 13, 2019 06:54:25 PM »

(AKA How to include gloves in your costume without having to actually wear them Cheesy)

I got a pair of faux suede fleece-lined gloves to wear with my steampunk costume. Unfortunately, while they suit the aesthetic of the costume, due to the fleece lining they are very bulky and miserably hot to wear. So after seeing some inspiration on Pinterest I decided to make a simple strap with a belt clip to hold my gloves.

To make a strap you'll need:
- Strip of material, I used leather, that can wrap around your gloves approximately 1.5 times at their narrowest point (width may vary, my strap is about 1" wide but this could certainly work with narrower or wider material). If leather doesn't fit with your costume, this could easily be made with ribbon or some other non-fraying material
- D Ring that fits your strap width
- Clip for belt. The clip I used from the outdoor recreation section of a store, like where you'd find ropes and trailer tie-downs. This and a hardware section have tons of similar items that really suit a steampunk design, but if your costume needs a different look pretty much any oversized clip/carabiner will do. You could also just tie it onto a belt with a piece of leather cord.
- Extra material for making any additional loops that may be needed

Also you will need a needle and thread (and if using leather, tools for punching/cutting material)

To start, fold about 1" of one end of the strip around the D ring

And sew into place

Once the D ring has been secured, lay the strap down horizontally (wrong side up) and lay your gloves on top

Cinch the strap around the gloves

And then bring the tail of the strap around to the back

To hold this tail in place and keep the gloves secured, I chose to add an additional loop on the strap. You could also use a button or snap to make this closure, whatever works best for you. The tail should end about 2/3s the way around the back, at this point your should have a good idea of how the strap fits around your gloves and you can trim off any excess material as needed. 

I chose not to sew or otherwise permanently attach the metal belt clip to the strap as the clip is pretty heavy and I like to make these types of large clips removable to keep them from possibly damaging other costume parts when packed for travel.

To add a clip simply lay the strap down like before and slip on the clip before you cinch the strap around the gloves

Now your gloves should be neatly packaged and ready for all your costuming adventures Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019 02:25:23 PM »

Ingenious! Nicely done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

curiousfae
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019 03:50:40 PM »

super helpful! thanks for posting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Fruit Pizza
@Home This Weekend: Dish Soap Apron
Tute Tuesday: Daisy Purse

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...