A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,617
Currently Running With Scissors:
146 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hearty veg and bean soup  (Read 272 times)
Tags for this thread: vegetarian , vegan  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 24, 2019 10:02:19 AM »

We had such a mild winter right into the middle of January and since then it's been a brutal smack-down of ice storms and snow days. I am sick of the cold and the slush and the bundling up in uncomfortable layers that make you sweaty the instant you go into anywhere out of the weather, ugh. I needed some comfort food, a hearty, hot meal that only required what was already in the pantry and this is what I came up with:

Here's how I made it, bearing in mind I never measure anything. I'll give you lots of suggestions for substitutions and variations so anybody can make this to taste Smiley.

I sliced in half one each butternut and pepper squash and removed the seeds (use any sort of squash or even yams/sweet potato), placed cut side down on a baking sheet and baked in the oven on 375 until slightly tender when poked with a fork. You can bake until very soft if you like but I intended on pureeing things and simmering so they did not need to be mush at this stage.
After baking, cool slightly and scoop out the squash, discarding the skin or saving it for soup stock if desired.

*OPTIONAL: While the squash is baking, peel and chop up some root veggies like potato, carrot, sweet potato. Boil in water until soft. You can even add greens here like kale, broccoli, green beans, whatever you've got.

Sauteed some celery with onion and a bit of salt, when soft added in grated ginger and turmeric root. Optionally, you may add garlic, peppers (spicy or bell), and dried spices instead of fresh, in fact add any spices you like. I also included bay leaves, a bit of mild curry and garam masala.
Put the baked squash into a large pot and add water or stock to cover it by about an inch, more if you like a soupier end result (you can always add more later on).

Puree the squash in water/stock, add the sautee mix and puree further until the desired smoothness is achieved, I like it a bit chunky. Simmer the soup, covered, for about an hour until the flavours start to meld.

If you are including the optional root veggies, I added them here and pureed further until they were incorporated but still a wee bit chunky. This really thickened the soup nicely. I wanted some protein in this meal so I also added pinto beans with the veggies. Use any beans.

Taste and adjust salt and spices and add more liquid if required. Bring soup back up to a simmer if serving right away. You need to stir this thickened soup frequently as it's heating to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pot.

I recommend a stick blender to puree but you can use a stand blender if that's what you've got. You just have to be VERY careful to do small batches at a time if it's hot, the heat will cause steam to build up in the blender and you do not want a hot soup explosion (ask me how I know  Undecided).

This was super tasty and filling. I served it with a garnish of chopped fresh red bell pepper and some freshly ground black peppercorns along with biscuits. It's nice with a dollop of yogurt too. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019 10:05:36 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019 10:23:40 AM »

Looks numie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
lindyv321
Cooking Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019 03:00:56 PM »

Oh this looks good! I hope it helped warm you up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm
Meatless Monday: Fruit Pizza

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...