A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,452
Currently Running With Scissors:
191 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Book Binding craftalong  (Read 9862 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

geekgirl1000100
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019 11:34:35 AM »

ahhh good tip.  I read somewhere to not roll the tubes up like toothpaste tubes (which I was doing) and to store standing up to give the glue room to move around but that only helped a little.

I use E6000 for a lot of things and found a way to use most of the large tube.  Instead of opening up the tip, Ill poke a hole in the body of the tube.  I usually use a thumb tack or needle.  It will let me squeeze out small amounts that I apply with a toothpick.  Then Im done, I just put a piece of tape over the hole and the glue will dry up under it.  Ill be able to reopen the hole several times before I have to poke a new hole.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019 01:41:41 PM »

Yes! More bookbinding! That's more a command to myself than telling you all what to do. Though I really want to see all your projects, I admit.  Smiley

I'm really inspired to make nature-themed journals this year. There are several scrappy journals underway, which start with forming signatures out of various sizes of paper I glue together until they reach the right overall size, like this...

the original tutorial I saw for this technique (no longer online) used a sewing machine, but I use what I've got.

My favorite book about bookbinding: Creating Handmade Books https://g.co/kgs/vVJqPg
Alisa Golden has written a number of well-illustrated books on the topic, but this is the one I was given and it was my favorite as a reference and inspiration source.
I never posted any tutorials for bookbinding because I learned almost everything directly from that book. There's one technique I like, though, for which I can no longer recall the source, so one of these days I'll get around to posting it!

If I recall correctly, the original Teesha Moore patch tutorial videos showed her patches made into book covers for thin books. A set of sewn signatures could be easily attached to the joining seam of a front and back cover...In case, like me, you have a pile of patches in need of a project.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019 02:53:52 PM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Does your household accumulate lots of dryer lint and empty toilet paper rolls? If you'll turn them into fire-starters for me, (stuff lots of lint inside the roll, fold edges, maybe add some candle wax), I'll happily send you something nice.
madcrafter
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019 06:49:16 PM »

Here is a bookbinding tutorial I did years ago.  This is one of my favorite style books because the spine opens to reveal an image.

https://ravingsofamadcrafter.blogspot.com/2012/06/tool-box-of-rassilon-is-opened-or.html

Oh, and if you are lazy like me, you can use  pre-made canvases as the front and back covers.

Hope you enjoy!

Madcrafter

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019 06:54:47 PM by madcrafter » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Enjoy crafting today!

Lois the raving crafter

Stop by my blog and say hi!
http://ravingsofamadcrafter.blogspot.com/
Maimun

We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

aka MunLtStmpr

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019 07:31:16 PM »

I didnt  get anything done yesterday. But I made up for today. My pages are all set and ready to stitch up tomorrow. Heres a sneak peek. I am hoping to make up tutorial out of this but I would just want you know I was working on something. Finally. Thank you all so much for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
Maimun

We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

aka MunLtStmpr

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019 07:37:11 PM »

Madcrafter, I dont know if Im scared or jealous that you have Rassilons tool box!

Awesome tutorial!  I love the secret.  I will try it at some point.  Thanks for sharing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
calluna

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019 02:50:04 AM »

Brilliant tutorial, madcrafter! My mental wheels are turning now; I have a decorated accordion spine in my WIP pile, but making it a surprise/hidden element and connecting the folds would not only be really cool, it would stabilize the current flimsiness of my larger structure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Does your household accumulate lots of dryer lint and empty toilet paper rolls? If you'll turn them into fire-starters for me, (stuff lots of lint inside the roll, fold edges, maybe add some candle wax), I'll happily send you something nice.
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019 10:39:24 AM »

I use muslin or cheesecloth to make the spine more sturdy and flexible but I have also used duct tape.
Washi tape is decorative, in my opinion, not very functional.

How are you using that to reinforce the spine, like are you gluing it over the spine?

Wulf, I've watched some of that guy's videos, he's interesting. There is one where he uses a laminating machine to make the cover, very clever and great results. I will try it sometime.

Geekgirl I like that video of the hidden spine. It's similar to this one I first watched (it's very long but worth it).

Love the E6000 tips! Yes, the giant tube is a ridiculous mess to use. I too purchased mini tubes of the stuff to avoid frustration, well worth the extra money. I like the pin hole idea though, and of course not rolling it like toothpaste. I haven't done that myself but I can see the temptation. Those metal tubes get awfully crinkly and hard to squeeze out.

calluna, I have had Alison's Making Handmade Books from the library, it is a fantastic and enormous technique resource. On the future purchase list for sure!
I like that idea of stitching or gluing papers together to create similar size, I will think about that...

What an interesting bind, thanks for the tutorial madcrafter. I have a couple of questions, why use the narrow single folded pieces of paper with each signature instead of just sewing the signatures and gluing them to the picture? Is that to reinforce the paper so the stitches don't tear it? Also, once the sicks are inserted and the book closed, do the pages try to jump out at the accordion folded part, like do you need a closure for the book to hold it shut? I suppose I could try it out myself to see what happens, lol.

Maimun your pages look very colourful, that's sure to be great inspiration in a junk journal.

We have had 2 snow days this week as well as an out of town guest, today's special occasion, a few appointments that need me running around in the snow, ugh, and also I am job searching. No book making for me until I get a moment of calm. I did clean up the studio though, mostly. That's something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maimun

aka MunLtStmpr

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2019 01:17:14 PM »

Craftylittlemonkey, job searching prevented me from doing any crafting yesterday.  At least websites are up 24/7 and I can look at them after I recharge myself with some bookmaking!

I have rolled up glue tubes while using the pin method.  The metallic tubes often end up cracking so you have to watch for those.  I just cover them up with tape and let the glue seal the crack under the tape.

Im having difficulty calling my book a junk journal.  I specifically picked out images that called me.  When Ive done junk books previously, I picked pages for their empty space.  Also, I had been cutting images out for a bit when I reallized that I probably should have cut them differently but was too far gone to start over.  Well see how it works out.
Maimun
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MyPins
MyArt
Krafty_Karasu
call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019 11:16:25 AM »

so.  would my magazine journal qualify?  I just went through and ripped out some pages from my magazines, but I can't go any further.  I kinda forgot to pick up supplies when I was doing my errands the other day.  but I've made some progress...

and now I've put my torn out pages together into signatures so I can use them for another book.  probably a midori type since I'm still nervous about a sewn book.  plus, I don't think I'd be able to see my markings if I tried to mark where to stab the signatures.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019 12:14:45 PM by Krafty_Karasu » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019 02:09:27 PM »

Certainly the midori style book is a hand bound version. I'm not sure about the magazine journal though, not because it isn't nifty but because there is an active altered book topic on the go already. People have shared a lot of tips, tricks, and projects in this junk journaling craft along which is where I think an altered book or magazine might fit best. I do not in any way mean to be exclusionary about including those here as well, there are many crafts that are cross-posted in their own topic and also a craft-along or two (destashalong, 50 projects in 2019, etc). Only that it's all collected there for that specific technique. I am hoping to add all the book binding specific videos and tutorials people contribute to the first post of this topic for easy access. I hope people will add an image of any books they have made as well as a link to their topics if they have one.

Maimun, I use the title "junk journal" with the highest regard. To me, what others consider junk is usually what I value as treasure, your lovely pages included!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019 02:10:49 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies
Meatless Monday: Portobello Mushroom Lasagna

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...