A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
149 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handmade Books  (Read 897 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Krafty_Karasu
call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019 11:26:14 AM »

magazine journals
There you go! Always happy to share.  Smiley
I was looking more at midori (you were correct) and wondering if I could do it without elastic. Id probably use something like jute since I have tons of it, plus I like the look of it. Glad I could maybe help you get going again.  Grin

Coptic. Got it. I would love to be open my journal as flat as possible. Its easier for writing, plus its easier for decorating. Its a pain trying to stick scrapbook paper down in between pages that are arched so close together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Maimun
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

aka MunLtStmpr

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019 12:01:48 PM »

That is so much fun!  Of course, I see this after I passed on most all of my Stampington magazines in the recent purge I did.  I really like the tip of how to open up the pages so the book lies flat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019 12:06:37 PM »

I generally use kettle stitch to bind signatures. Sea Lemon has lots of wonderful video tutorials on youtube.
I posted 2 little books today that I bound with kettle stitch.

geekgirl1000100 used gelli prints for the pages of this junk journal.

Smmarrt makes amazing junk journals too.

There is a great paper and mixed media craftalong going with awesome links to all sorts of printing techniques.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krafty_Karasu

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019 01:01:35 PM »

That is so much fun!  Of course, I see this after I passed on most all of my Stampington magazines in the recent purge I did.  I really like the tip of how to open up the pages so the book lies flat.

Of course! Lol. Yeah, opening them up like that is really handy. I might get a bone folder to use like she did because I dont know if my hands alone could take it.

I generally use kettle stitch to bind signatures. Sea Lemon has lots of wonderful video tutorials on youtube.
I posted 2 little books today that I bound with kettle stitch.

geekgirl1000100 used gelli prints for the pages of this junk journal.

Smmarrt makes amazing junk journals too.

There is a great paper and mixed media craftalong going with awesome links to all sorts of printing techniques.

Ooo...thanks for this! Ill have to get on my laptop and look into them. Its kind of a pain to be on here with a mobile device.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maimun

We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

aka MunLtStmpr

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019 06:58:50 PM »

I found an old butter knife that makes for a great bone folder.  And I've been known to use a spoon to smooth things out too.

Now I have to go look up kettle stitch!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019 06:59:31 PM by Maimun » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Krafty_Karasu

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019 07:35:01 PM »

I'm not opposed to doing something like that.  I may have a random butter knife I could use.  it would save me the money.

I really like Sea Lemon's tut for the kettle stitch.  it looks nice and sturdy.  some of the stitches I've been seeing look a little flimsy.  one that I saw for a good sized book only used like 4 holes or something.  it left the string too long for my comfort.  I like the smaller stitches.  I mean...I'm almost tempted to sew them with the longest stitch on my sewing machine!  lol.  but that probably wouldn't work with thick stacks of paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019 05:41:54 AM »

I have sewn signatures together by machine but then you still need to attach them somehow. I like kettle stitches no more than 2" apart. I want that book to stay tightly bound! You can add glue to the spine too but I haven't done that myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maimun

aka MunLtStmpr

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019 07:06:52 AM »

I really like the kettle stitch too.  It looks like it would be easier to keep a steady tension throughout the whole book.

I tend to use double sided tape for most of my sticking together.  I use the big rolls like carpet tape though I've found them at independent dollar stores where I'll buy a ton at a time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MyPins
MyArt
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019 10:57:08 AM »

I've been using a hard plastic point-turning sewing tool as a bone folder but I am sure there are better things. I'd really love a creasing board with a proper bone folder. If I get more serious about book making I am going to have to get better tools for it I think.

A book binding craftalong has been started with a link to a nice simple little starter project, soft cover, single signature with pamphlet stitch. Come and join in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krafty_Karasu

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019 11:35:10 AM »

I have sewn signatures together by machine but then you still need to attach them somehow. I like kettle stitches no more than 2" apart. I want that book to stay tightly bound! You can add glue to the spine too but I haven't done that myself.
I've been using a hard plastic point-turning sewing tool as a bone folder but I am sure there are better things. I'd really love a creasing board with a proper bone folder. If I get more serious about book making I am going to have to get better tools for it I think.
book binding craftalong has been started with a link to a nice simple little starter project, soft cover, single signature with pamphlet stitch. Come and join in!

exactly.  I hadn't quite figured out how to attach machine sewn signatures.  and yes, short stitches for hand stitched.  I'd add glue for the same reason I add glue to some  of my cross stitch, bead weaving, lots of things that involve string; I feel it keeps it from slipping.  and it makes me feel like it's sturdier and more secure.  I just like glue.  lol.  I don't have many sewing tools as I don't sew much (my fanciest tool is a rotary cutter.  lol), so that's not an on-hand option for me, but I'm sure I can find something that will work well enough.  and I'll have a look at that craftalong!

I really like the kettle stitch too.  It looks like it would be easier to keep a steady tension throughout the whole book.

I tend to use double sided tape for most of my sticking together.  I use the big rolls like carpet tape though I've found them at independent dollar stores where I'll buy a ton at a time.

that is a nice looking stitch, isn't it?  I think this will be the one I use.  I also think some of the stitches I was originally seeing were kinda scaring me.  "go in hole 1, come out hole 2, go in hole 5, come out hole 4, go in hole 3, come out hole 2 again, then wrap around the thread all the way down until you reach hole 4, go in hole 4, come out hole 1...".  that's exaggerated, of course, but it sounded that crazy.

now that you mention it, I might look into double sided tape for that magazine journal.  glue does make some paper...lumpy isn't the word I want to use, but I'm hoping you know what I mean.  I use those photo mounting squares for lots of my paper crafting stuff.  it's how most of my ATCs were stuck together.  looks like I'm going shopping tomorrow.  lol

wrinkled.  OMG the word is wrinkled.  WOW.  lol.  my illness really did go to my head.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019 12:00:56 PM by Krafty_Karasu » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around
Meatless Monday: Cinnamon Pecan Scones

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...