A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,769
Currently Running With Scissors:
199 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kitchen Island Revamp  (Read 666 times)
Tags for this thread: kitchen  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
appledainty
« on: January 19, 2019 05:27:10 PM »

This was actually one of the first projects I started after we bought our new house, but I only just now put the finishing touches on it.

I'm still in the process of painting our kitchen cabinets (followed by doing the backsplash) but I'm hoping in the next month I might have a kitchen that's actually usable. XD But, the island on its own ended up being a big job, because I realized it needed to have a lot of organization packed in, since our kitchen is small and has limited cabinet space.

I started with this. A warm-tone white melamine. I repainted it a very pale blue-white using a rustoleum cabinet repainting kit, which has served us pretty well. I did buy a different sealer because the sealer that came with my kit was contaminated with black dust. Rustoleum was kind enough to refund us the cost of the kit because of this, which was great.

After painting the cabinet frame and doors, I applied this floral contact paper to the sides and backs of the drawers, and the interior back panel of the cabinet.

Then we added these cute ceramic drawer pulls with brace backings. The old ones were worn looking rubbed bronze ones.

The 3d wallpaper that I had applied and painted started peeling off. I was trying to use the water activated paste it came with, and I'd never done wallpaper before. I was disappointed, but starting over ended up giving me a much better, cleaner result. After the wallpapering, we had our countertops installed professionally, and I was able to finish the trim on the back of the island and concentrate on organizational elements.

Unfortunately, the edge banding on the counters wasn't done perfectly and we had a bit of a chip and some sections are coming off; eventually I'm just going to reglue it myself with contact cement.

And here's a few more finished photos Smiley

The ceramic apple canisters I've had since university. The apple fruit basket was a gift from my mother-in-law, and the marble baking board and roller were my Mom's, which she gave to me when I moved, since I love baking. The baking board was a mini project of its own. Two of the feet fell off, and we had to remove the two remaining feet and add new ones.

Organization started with a simple cutlery organizer. We also have a separate clear acrylic container for some small utensils (pastry brushes, can opener, etc).

The inside has a hook on the door for hanging my cutting board, vertical dividers for our cookie/sheet pans, and a slider for our pots and pans (and one pyrex pie dish). The bottom shelf has a stoneware dutch oven and an ceramic apple serving dish. :3

We also installed this bar which is currently holding pot lids. Eventually we're going to buy a slider (like the one for the pots and pans) for the lids, and install a second bar for all our kitchen towels.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019 06:10:15 PM by appledainty » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019 08:30:34 PM »

WOW! Such thoughtful and considered design to meet your needs! Looks pretty to boot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 49
curiousfae

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019 04:13:59 AM »

This looks great! I adore the use of the flowery contact paper especially along the sides of the drawer. So pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019 01:00:57 PM »

What a great job you did! The paper on the inside outside bits of the drawers is genius too,
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019 06:45:07 AM »

Great revamp - love the little details like the patterning on the side of the drawers.  Love your apple accessories too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019 10:47:45 AM »

Oooh, so pretty!  I love your attention to detail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
gigglygirl

prettypickings.wordpress.com

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019 02:11:21 PM »

Love this! What a great and useful upcycle!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"
Meal Prep Monday: Crockpot White Chili with Chicken

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...