A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: The December Craft Challenge has been announced. Read all of the details here and get to crafting!
Total Members: 322,047
Currently Running With Scissors:
199 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nine-Tailed Kitsune & Kit Sculpture  (Read 368 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

appledainty
« on: January 09, 2019 07:29:22 AM »

This sculpture has basically been three years in the making - a piece for my very patient cousin.

I actually don't like sculpting very much. I've never considered myself particularly skilled at sculpting, but if a close family member asks I can't seem to say no. XD; Working on this piece didn't really change my feelings about sculpting in general, as it took a header off my desk after I finished the original sculpt and had to be repaired (ugh), but my cousin is happy with it. One of the tails also developed a crack during shipping, despite my best efforts to prevent damage from happening. I embedded the sculpture base into a piece of styrofoam, taped the sculpture base to the foam, and taped the foam to the box. Then, filled the empty space with packing peanuts. I assume the crack is due to the cold and the aforementioned fall off my desk, but I'm supposed to visit next year so I can probably repair it them. Smiley

My cousin saw a nine-tailed fox I made for my husband, and asked if I could do a painted snow-themed one for her, with a kit that represents her son, who was born in winter.

Here are a few WIP pictures:

I started with a wire armature, and stuffed the larger sections with tin foil. Polymer clay shrinks, so you can save yourself material and trouble by filling out sections with foil.

I made general shapes and smoothed them out before adding details, like fur and facial features.

And some finished pictures:

The white base paint is a spray paint. Yes, I know, no spray painting polymer clay. Generally, you can't use spray paint on polymer clay because it either doesn't dry or stays tacky forever. I got away with it because I primed the sculpture with white acrylic first. Once the white was done, I detailed the sculpture with blue and purple acrylic, then sealed with a clear spray sealer to give it the shiney appearance.

My cousin requested snow and amethysts on the base. I took a hammer to some amethyst crystals to get smaller pieces and glued them to the base with E6000.

The snow is a mix of white glitter and faux modeling snow (for miniatures).

I am pretty happy with how the sculpture turned out, but I'm not sure I'll be doing another one any time soon. Or, maybe I'll do something simpler/smaller/with less tails involved. The tails were the worst. XD
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019 07:35:57 AM by appledainty » THIS ROCKS   Logged

gozer
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019 08:55:32 AM »

I've sculpted before but I am not really any good. Just thinking about having to smooth out the clay in between the tails.. Wowza. That was a lot of work. I think you did an amazing job and I love the amethyst touch. It turned out super cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019 09:02:06 AM »

This is freakin' AMAZING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019 09:48:39 AM »

Very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

geekgirl1000100

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019 06:45:30 AM »

This is great!  I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

Wish for fish & fish you gits!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019 12:37:34 PM »

Beautiful 9-tailed fox and kit!  Lovely pose/arrangement and the blue/purple detailing contrasts beautifully with the white.  Is amethyst hard to hammer apart?  I always imagined people cutting it with a saw or something.  Cool progress shots as well.

The white coloration makes me think of the Pokmon Ninetales too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kwality570
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019 05:50:53 AM »

Absolutely amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

appledainty
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019 09:19:52 AM »

Thank you for the kind words everyone! Smiley

Beautiful 9-tailed fox and kit!  Lovely pose/arrangement and the blue/purple detailing contrasts beautifully with the white.  Is amethyst hard to hammer apart?  I always imagined people cutting it with a saw or something.  Cool progress shots as well.

The white coloration makes me think of the Pokmon Ninetales too.

The amethyst took a bit of doing. I think if I wasn't made of paper, it would have come apart more easily. But, then it probably could have been more dangerous with the shards flying as well. I wore safety glasses while doing it, and kep the amethyst in a box to try and contain the shards a bit. I still had to sweep up some sharp bits afterward.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019 10:03:31 AM »

Whoa!  Shocked I hope your cousin knows how lucky she is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Does your household accumulate lots of dryer lint and empty toilet paper rolls? If you'll turn them into fire-starters for me, (stuff lots of lint inside the roll, fold edges, maybe add some candle wax), I'll happily send you something nice.
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

All lit up for the holidays ;D

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019 11:08:08 AM »

Whoa, wow! Amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Cauliflower Spinach Puree
@Home This Weekend: Bowl Cozies
January 16, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...