A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: The December Craft Challenge has been announced. Read all of the details here and get to crafting!
Total Members: 315,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
194 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafternoon group Tea Cosies! w tutorial :)  (Read 1237 times)
Tags for this thread: tea_cozy , featured_project , tutorial , project_of_the_week  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

All lit up for the holidays ;D

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 31, 2018 07:37:32 PM »

This is our 8th crafternoon session, woo hoo! We are having such a great time! Just look at this cute little Gnome Home tea hat my children requested for the pot they use the most often.

Adorable, right? And much more simple than the fancier little cottage tea cosy I made before. I love that one but it is a bit too large and floppy for the smaller tea pot, this is just right. The base is a natural fiber sweater that got shrunk in the wash, more sweater bits and other fabric were attached using iron on fusible web and stitched in place for extra security and decoration. There's a brass button door knob, a bit of hand embroidery and some beads. It was quite a quick and easy project. Not so with a couple of my friends, they spent many hours over more than one day hand stitching up all their complicated designs. Amazing results though, check out this OWL!

As if that wasn't enough, there is an entirely different design on the back! A kitty, so adorable.

This was made by a friend with little boys who hasn't come before and isn't sure when she might have time again so she opted for a design she could finish in a couple of hours. I love her addition of hand stitching along the fabric join. I didn't get a shot of the lining but it's green with tiny white dots, very cute.

A chemex doesn't keep coffee warm for very long, check out this adorable cosy with the blue bunting.

It's a double layer of wool so it should work to keep the heat in. I think it looks like a wonky monster face here, haha.

And another owl, beautifully stitched.

The back has all these lovely bits of ribbon, lace and buttons.

As with each crafting session so far, every participant started with access to the same supplies but each person made something completely unique and personal to their style. I am in love with every single creation, I adore this group of people and feel incredibly lucky to have them come to my home and make amazing things with me. It is the most inspirational thing I've ever participated in. It is amazing. Take a look all our crafternoon session in order. I'm hoping to keep going with this project for as long as possible. Goodness knows I've got enough supplies to last, lol.

Saturday Crafternoon #1
Saturday Crafternoon #2
Saturday Crafternoon #3
Saturday Crafternoon #4
Saturday Crafternoon #5
Saturday Crafternoon #6
Saturday Crafternoon #7
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019 07:09:10 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018 07:42:03 PM »

Measure the tea pot you'd like to cover, bottom to the highest point and then another measurement around the widest part including the handle and the spout.

To draft the pattern the height of the pot is marked out, then HALF the measurement around the pot (half because there will be two sides, mine was 24 inches in total so I marked out 12 on the pattern).
A dome is added to the top, it's just a rounded top shape that exceeds the height of the teapot. This will allow the to cosy fit but also leave a bit of space inside to capture heat. Add room for ease and a seam allowance around the entire outside edge of the pattern, including the bottom (about 1 inch in total).

Cut 2 outer and 2 lining pieces. I am using the same fabric for the lining as the ironing pad, sorry for the confusing photo, lol.

Sew the lining pieces (right sides together) leaving the bottom edge open, also leave a 3-4 in opening along one side (for turning later on).

Embellish the outside of the cover however you wish, then sew the two sides together, right sides together, leaving the bottom edge open. If you wish to add a loop to the centre top for hanging the cosy up when not in use, pin it in place before sewing the outer sides together.

At this point I added some fusible felt to the inside cover to increase the thickness but it's not necessary.

Turn outer and lining pieces right sides together (insert liner into the outer cover), pin in place and stitch along bottom edge. Turn right sides out through the opening. Use a ladder stitch to close the opening in the liner. I sewed along the bottom hem which I recommend.

You can see I changed the shape of the top which I could do because it's all extra space and doesn't really matter. I went with that cute point, I thought it suited the house better. Hope the kids love it as much as I do Smiley.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018 07:43:45 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018 08:13:09 PM »

Will the wonders of your Crafternoons ever cease? I sure hope not! Once again every last one is so great. Thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 6
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018 08:21:36 PM »

No end in sight! We've got bead people this weekend, then we'll make needle books, after that it's poetry spools followed by tree of life ornaments. Not really sure where we'll go next, I am thinking a multi-session book binding trial run would be interesting. I'm no expert but we are just having fun so why not? So long as they are keen to continue, so am I!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kbrison

Genealogists trace history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018 09:48:58 PM »

Wish I lived near you or barring that, I wish I had room at my house to host crafternoons. Our Crafty Ladies get together about once a month but we have to haul all our tools and supplies to my church in order to have work space. That really limits what we do. Plus, crafting at your house would just be so much more fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

http://pinterest.com/ancientofdays/
153/150 in 2018
134/200 in 2017
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019 08:37:38 AM »

Kathy, I have been sort of beta-testing these sessions at my place with the intention of offering them for a fee elsewhere. I make a list of all the supplies needed and have a few labelled 12 quart tubs as containers. I can absolutely travel with most of these crafts, no problemo, even by bus. Most of them are done with smaller tools, things I can easily carry and a group could share a couple sets of. Now I'm working on printable instruction hand-outs and taking better photos for advertisement purposes.
Granted, this took way more material and space than anything else so far, there is still sweater trim all over the house, lol. Beads are tiny though Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019 07:14:31 AM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019 07:11:23 PM »

I've updated the post with photos of the last tea cosy to be completed, everybody did wonderful work!

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley

How fun! I will let all the participants know their projects are being featured, thank you Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019 04:51:23 PM »

Wow, these all turned out so freaking adorable. As if having these recurring crafternoons wasn't cool enough in and of itself, everything that comes out of these events is gorgeous--most likely because all the participants have you as their encouraging fearless leader.  Smiley Also, may I say how much your kids rock for being tea drinkers.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Does your household accumulate lots of dryer lint and empty toilet paper rolls? If you'll turn them into fire-starters for me, (stuff lots of lint inside the roll, fold edges, maybe add some candle wax), I'll happily send you something nice.
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019 06:15:13 AM »

I love seeing your crafternoon goodies!  These are perfection!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Crochet Rainbow Scarf
Let it Snow!
Meatless Monday: Cauliflower Spinach Puree

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...