A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 315,265
Currently Running With Scissors:
158 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2019 Annual DeStashAlong!  (Read 9273 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

gaudiknight
« on: December 31, 2018 04:12:18 PM »

2019 DeStash Along

Sewing Circle of the Warwick River Church in Denbigh, Virginia.  Pictured Are Anna Hertzler, Alta Yoder, Phebe F. Krause, and Amanda Shenk by Mennonite Church USA Archives, on Flickr

Stashes.  Everyone has one, whether it consists of a single shoe-box full of beads tucked on a shelf or enough yarn and fabric to fill an entire room.  We add to them with thoughts of glorious projects to be, but occasionally these supplies get neglected once we get them home.  This CraftAlong, or DeStash-Along if you will, is here to provide motivation and inspiration to dig through what we have on hand and create marvelous things.  The purpose isn't to be ashamed of our stashes, but to celebrate them.  Let those great materials see the light of day again! Show off the great things you can make without going to the shops!

We'd love to have you along for the 11th year of the DeStash-Along.  There will be themes and challenges each month to provide a starting point if you are in need of  some extra inspiration, but feel free to ignore them if they don't mesh with your current crafty urges.  Whether you stumble upon this thread in January or June, join in the discussions, share projects and pictures, ask questions when you're stumped, and keep on crafting!

Previous Years' DeStash-Alongs can be found here
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaudiknight
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018 04:12:54 PM »

Monthly Themes
Posted at the beginning of the year for those who like to look ahead.  They will be posted at the beginning of each month as well, and may be slightly re-arranged as the year progresses.

January
Color: White
Pattern: Solids
For: Something to help with a New Year's Resolution
Challenge 1: Take stock of stash!  Figure out what you have, and create some goals for the coming years.
Challenge 2: Finish up remaining Works in Progress from 2018 (or earlier).

February
Color: Red
Pattern: Paisley
For: Organizing
Challenge 1: Put the stash in order.  Untangle your yarn, fold your fabric, and throw out the bits of string that are too small to save.
Challenge 2: Make a just-because present for someone who needs to be cheered up or as a Random Act of Kindness.

March
Color: Yellow
Pattern: Polka Dots
For: Animals, pets, or the fuzzies at the pound.
Challenge 1: Now that you've got a good handle on what you have in stash you may have come across some things that you know you will never use.  Weed these items and give them away to someone who can use them.
Challenge 2: Make something from the millions of tutorials you've collected on Pinterest, or from one of your vast hoards of craft and pattern books.

April
Color: Blue
Pattern: Stripes
For: Yourself
Challenge 1: Use materials in stash to learn a new craft or practice a new technique.
Challenge 2: Make something for charity.

May
Color: Green
Pattern: Floral
For: Your yard, window box, or back alley.
Challenge 1: If your stash is anything like mine you've got a fair amount that was given to you by older friends and relatives trying to reduce their own stashes.  Make them something from the materials they gave you.
Challenge 2: Nature Crafts!

June
Color: Pink
Pattern: Abstract
For: Teachers and instructors
Challenge 1: Use the item in your stash that you've had the longest.
Challenge 2: At the end of the month we'll have been DeStashing for 6 months.  Take stock of your stash, tidy it up, and see how you're doing with your goals from January.

July
Color: Turquoise
Pattern: Maps, charts, and letters
For: Charity
Challenge 1: Make a scrappy projects to use up odds and ends.
Challenge 2: Make a gift or two in preparation for the winter gift-giving season to cut down on the stress in December.

August
Color: Orange
Pattern: Stars
For: Friends
Challenge 1: Trade stash with a friend - not the whole thing, obviously, but things you are tired of looking at will be shiny and new to someone else.
Challenge 2: Craft something from the theme of a swap that has caught your attention recently, whether you joined the swap or not.

September
Color: Whatever is your favorite
Pattern: Argyle
For: Kids
Challenge 1: Recycle, Re-purpose, and Reuse.
Challenge 2: Teach someone a craft and use materials from your stash for instruction.

October
Color: Black
Pattern: Lace
For: Your workplace
Challenge 1: If you have a super special item that you've been saving for a perfect project there's no time like the present to use it.
Challenge 2: Make some small, portable projects.

November
Color: Brown
Pattern: Plaid
For: Transportation - your car, bike, water-buffalo, however you get around.
Challenge 1: In our family we have a saying "all done but the pressing" quoting a great-grandmother who was great at starting projects but not so great at the final details needed to make them usable.  Put the finishing touches on any languishing almost-finished projects.
Challenge 2: Make things in bulk.  Those multiples may come in handy next month.

December
Color: Silver
Pattern: Folk-Art
For: Your Home
Challenge 1: Congrats! You've been DeStashing for a year.  Take a look back and see how much you've accomplished.
Challenge 2: Help come up with ideas that will make next year's DeStashAlong better.

Pictures posted along with the monthly themes are found in the creative commons on flickr.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019 01:47:17 PM by gaudiknight » THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaudiknight
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018 04:13:27 PM »

[place holder just in case...]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rantyhippie
Carnivore Extrordinaire

Drunken Crafter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018 04:27:55 PM »

I am down for this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Respect ghosts and gods, but keep away from them -Confucius

www.etsy.com/shop/BlackbirdRanch

pinterest.com/artisticgamer
gaudiknight
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018 06:35:14 PM »

Huzzah!  We caught one.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018 06:38:14 PM »

You know I'm in. Gotta make some bigger projects this year to use up more than just a scrap or two each time, heh.

January
Color: White
Pattern: Solids
For: Something to help with a New Year's Resolution
Challenge 1: Take stock of stash!  Figure out what you have, and create some goals for the coming years.
Challenge 2: Finish up remaining Works in Progress from 2013 (or earlier).

I have all those undies I was making out of tshirts to finish. All they need is elastic edging. I need new undies. I'm not sure they'll still fit me so many years and another child later, haha, but I might as well give them a try, right? Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018 08:08:19 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kbrison

Genealogists trace history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018 09:29:51 PM »

And I'm in again. I don't feel like I accomplished much de-stashing this past year but when I look back at my 50 Projects list I notice that most of the things I made did use mostly or only stash so I think it's just the volume of my stash that's overwhelming me. I gave my Accu-Cut die-cutting machine (big, honking thing) to my daughter as well as most of the steel rule dies. More of the dies went to our local library. I just sent UTM and Lana my button-maker machine. I taught card-making classes at several events this year (4-H camp, state, district, and local home extension programs) and donated all the supplies. Same with the denim projects I taught to the same groups. I hit my yarn stash to make charity projects, donated more yarn to two schools. Then there were the 200+ cards I made for our military. Sounds like it should have made a huge difference but it hasn't. I've decided my best course of action is to buy much less, find more people and organizations to donate to, and to dedicate more time to larger projects. Anyway, that's my current plan. We'll see how it goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

http://pinterest.com/ancientofdays/
153/150 in 2018
134/200 in 2017
rantyhippie
Carnivore Extrordinaire

Drunken Crafter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019 07:16:07 AM »

Most people do projects for both craftalongs. I have gotten myself mixed up in some amazing yarn sales and have some nice yarn to whip things up with. DH got me some amazing blanket yarn that will become an afghan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Respect ghosts and gods, but keep away from them -Confucius

www.etsy.com/shop/BlackbirdRanch

pinterest.com/artisticgamer
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019 07:46:20 AM »

I'm in! Again!

While I always go to stash first when working a project, I, too, feel like not that big of a dent was made. After making something like 80 fabric gift bags, most everything else was small potatoes. It didn't help that I took up paper crafting with my Cricut which lead to developing a decent start on a cardstock stash.

This year I'm supposed to do a rather intense remodeling project of our library/craft studio/auxiliary guest room which is going to take quite a bit of the time I would normally use for crafting as well as totally disrupt the crafting space. But hopefully part of removing so much material from the room will encourage moving it along to other users, at least a little.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 17
anna.wahnsinn

You cannot give me too much work; to accumulate work has almost become a passion with me: my study is so full of it now, that there is hardly an inch of room for any more. I shall have to throw out a wing soon. (J.K.Jerome)

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019 09:19:46 AM »

I'm in too! We changed around a few rooms last year, so I now have a new craft room, but there is so much still randomly shoved into boxes with piles and stacks of stuff and stash and things that don't even belong in there... I did start to empty the biggest box today looking for that one shade of red thread that matches my work aprons, but so far I haven't found it. So I'm kind of working on the first challenge, finding things that belong together and then finding a space (the appropriate box...). What is most annoying is that not everything is accessible.

I've decided to reverse January's theme to make it fit my needs: I have a few spaces of solid white wall, and there are some colourful pieces of (mostly Craftster) art going up there! Nails, screws and glue have been involved here today already.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Book Jewelry
Let's Spool Up!
Meatless Monday: Spinach and Cheese Gnocchi Bake

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...