A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: The December Craft Challenge has been announced. Read all of the details here and get to crafting!
Total Members: 322,047
Currently Running With Scissors:
200 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: many ways to make a tassel  (Read 654 times)
Tags for this thread: tassel , tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

All lit up for the holidays ;D

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 31, 2018 08:47:57 AM »

I've been making these scrappy tassels for day and there are so many assembly variations. I'll share a few ways to make them and the supplies I used. These are fun as ornaments (the ones with felt balls get a drop of essential oil and are a lovely diffuser of natural scent), purse or journal decoration, key fobs, book mark additions, little ones would make fun earrings, we are keeping the red, white and green combos as holiday ornaments.

I have lots of ribbon but to make things visually interesting I used everything; lengths of yarn and embroidery thread, lace, rickrack, shoe laces, bits of pre-fab fringe, chain with bead bits on the ends, etc. If you haven't got any of that sort of thing you can simply cut or tear narrow strips of fabric, they will be frayed and raggedy which is great for a shaggy effect.

If any of your materials are creased you can very carefully iron them flat between 2 layers of parchment paper. This will keep any synthetic (ribbon usually is and you can never tell with other scraps) from melting to your iron, ironing board, etc. It's worth the precaution. Ask me how I know Tongue.

I usually pull it from under the iron, see my hand there? That helps straighten things out.

I used 20 gauge wire for most of the wire wrapping, the craft store had a great selection of different colours. You don't have to use wire at all, string is just fine for tying the tassels. I liked making connections though, it was fun figuring out all the ways to attach things.

If you need a tutorial on wire wrapping, she starts with the basics at 0:40 in this video

I raided the stash for these pretty little flowers and made dangly bits with chain.

This one was made by machine sewing strips of stuff onto a bit of pre-fab fringe. It was rolled up and hand stitched closed, then wrapped with a bit of wire.

The step-by-step how-to images are clickable for bigger photos.

Here each piece has been individually looped around a key ring then gathered together tightly and wire wrapped.

Clickable larger how-to pics

For this, all the strips were loop around a key ring together.

Larger clickable how-to pics:

Both of these were string tied.

Larger clickable how-to pics:

For this, thin strands were drawn through then wrapped over a bead with a very large hole in it. This was likely the easiest one to make, and possibly the most secure for something that would get bounced around lots like on a purse or zipper pull.

Larger, clickable how-to pics:

And finally, I've used this nifty interwoven technique before with strands of similar size, it works quite nicely though I haven't a photo of my own to show as an example.

These are essential oil diffusers, a drop of oil goes on the felted wool ball.
Ornaments:

Zipper pulls:

Let me know if you want clarity on any of the steps or any other information. I hope you'll make some tassels, it was so satisfying using up all those little bits and bobs from the stash. Super fun!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018 07:11:12 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018 09:15:56 AM »

Hooooooo boy! I am a sucker for a tassel and boy, oh, boy do the scrappy ones speak to my heart. All this to say, "What great tassels and thanks for the tute(s)!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 6
steiconi

Opa!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018 09:38:29 AM »

Lovely, cheerful bits of color!
Gives me all kinds of ideas:  feathers.  Bells. Charms!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
kwality570
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018 10:07:41 AM »

So phenomenal! Thanks so much for creating and sharing the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeaG

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018 10:34:35 AM »

Seems like you had a lot of fun making these and they look great!

I have plenty of supplies to make a batch of my own. Might do so next year.

Happy New Year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BelleBeryl
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018 12:19:35 PM »

Very pretty. The threads type goes on my to make list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018 07:13:27 PM »

They are really a lot of fun to make, I had such a great time sifting the stash and pulling out all the wee bits and pieces to pair them up. The dangly bits with chain, beads, flowers and such are my favourite parts but they would still be lovely without anything but the fabricy tassel bits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019 06:49:38 AM »

Thank you for the tutorial for these fantastic little scrap-busting tassels!  I'm clearly going to have to make some soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bleachykeen
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019 04:57:44 AM »

Thank you for the how to!  We have bins of scraps waiting for the right project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019 03:35:36 AM »

I hope you will make some & show them off here. I love seeing other people's scrap busting projects, they are my favourites!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Cauliflower Spinach Puree
@Home This Weekend: Bowl Cozies
January 16, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...