A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 315,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
232 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: holiday goodie bags (w/ tutorial)  (Read 591 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

thanate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

wanting to do everything is *no excuse* for not doing anything.

writer/crafter/naturalist, mother, Team Oak Tree

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 21, 2018 08:17:25 AM »

I picked up several yards of this fabric at the thrift store a couple months back, so that's what I used to make winter holiday goodie bags for my daughter's kindergarten class.  

I ran them all through my embroidery machine for the snowflakes, which would probably have shown up better if I'd done them as felt patches, but I didn't.  Oh well; it's a bunch of kindergartners; half of them will destroy or throw away the bags in the next week, and a few of them will be treasured until the kids are my age and who knows which will be which?

Here's my semi-lazy method for making a bunch of bags that won't fall to pieces immediately:

Cut up enough strips of fabric to make the number of bags you need.  (I went with 15" by 8 stripes of this fabric, which came out to 7 bags per 15" strip.)  Embroidery or other decorations optional, but do anything you're sewing on before assembling.  I did my long cuts with pinking shears to reduce fraying.  

Fold in the sides a little, so your strings won't start fraying the edges immediately.

Then fold over about 3/4" for your drawstring casing.  Pin as much or as little as makes you happy.  (I didn't bother here, but this fabric was pretty decent at staying put.)  

Zig-zag that on down!  

If you're flying without pins, don't forget to pause and fold in the other side before you get there.  

Do the opposite end of the bag the same way, then fold it in half (right sides together!) and zig-zag the sides from the bottom of the bag to right below where you folded the casings over.  For some reason I don't have a picture of this, but just make sure the sides are closed & the ends of the casings aren't and you'll be fine.  

Turn it right side out, & you have a bag with little tube hems at the top!

Then thread strings through the tubes, & you're set!  I used a crochet hook to do this, but safety pins or yarn needles should work fine, too.  You can do just one string through both tubes, or two strings (also through both tubes!) and pull one from each side.  Yarn makes the bags stay closed more securely, ribbon makes them easier to open.  I did one string blue and one string white, and tied jingle bells to the ends, because jingle bells!! Smiley  

Stuff with presents, give to children.  Or whoever.  Enjoy! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018 08:20:24 AM by thanate » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"And the Moral of Pierre is: Care"-Maurice Sendak

Ugh, it's like Thanos, ok?  the long E is the feminine ending.  (Also, I prefer *not* to destroy the universe when possible.)
Thann-uh-tay, no "nate".

Read more!(sometimes I write stuff)
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018 12:18:53 PM »

These are so sweet and cheery!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 23
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018 03:33:42 PM »

These are great! I had such good intentions to make bags instead of buying wrap this year but...
Maybe next year. Thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thanate

wanting to do everything is *no excuse* for not doing anything.

writer/crafter/naturalist, mother, Team Oak Tree

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018 06:59:09 AM »

These are great! I had such good intentions to make bags instead of buying wrap this year but...
Maybe next year. Thanks for the tute!

I was totally going to do orange ones with pumpkin face applique for hallowe'en, and that utterly failed to happen, so at least I managed one set for the year. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"And the Moral of Pierre is: Care"-Maurice Sendak

Ugh, it's like Thanos, ok?  the long E is the feminine ending.  (Also, I prefer *not* to destroy the universe when possible.)
Thann-uh-tay, no "nate".

Read more!(sometimes I write stuff)
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018 08:53:17 AM »

That is really sweet and thanks for the tutorial.  I wish my local thrift store had good stuff like this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gozer

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019 07:17:16 AM »

I bet more kids will treasure these than you think. They are very neat since most things today are so disposable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Welcome Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...