A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and encouraged! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 315,375
Currently Running With Scissors:
236 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ten-year throwback: Calendars up the wazoo  (Read 319 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

calluna
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 27, 2018 07:21:58 PM »

Since it's been over a decade, I thought it would be fun to look back at a set of things I made for a swap in 2007 but never posted.

It was the 2008 Handmade Calendar Swap, and it was a lot of fun. Each of the 12 participants crafted a one-month, 12x12" calendar page and sent that month to every participant, so that in the end we each had a full year calendar. I tried to tailor each page to the tastes of the recipient. There were two cat-people, a goth-lover, someone who was into beaches...etc. I honestly don't remember what inspired the Candyland page, but it's still one of my favorite creations, ever. There are far more ways to create a monthly calendar layout than I had previously imagined!

(character images were cut out of the instructions for the 1985 board game, but the rest was drawn or collaged)

(red velvet, black lace, couched black tulle, embroidery, fabric paint, stencils)

(faux finish bronze patina on plain paper with vinyl wallpaper samples attached with brads; there was a sticker, image, or words under each panel)

(scrapbook paper sample images from the cover of my dollar-store paper packages, with vintage cloth side-tabs)

(real bark and couched twigs, with silk flowers to make the scrapbook paper design more dimensional)

(every Richard Scarry cat image I could find!)

(crafty cats, because this page went to a member called TheCraftyCat)

(stickers, woven paper strips, bead cords, gel pens)

(paper scraps and gel pen on what was probably a blue food coloring experiment)

(real shells, stamps, and pen on scrapbook paper, mounted on paperboard for sturdiness...I hope)

(cross-stitch, probably mounted on paperboard)

(all kinds of madness and substances...fence posts made from toothpicks, silk flowers, vinyl wallpaper samples, textured paints, days of the month written in any open space I could find)

So much has happened and I've learned so much since then! I wouldn't say I'm significantly better at mixed media now, but I do some things differently now that I've been here in Craftsterland a while...

• I don't as readily use copyrighted images/art in the things I send to people. I became a librarian in the past few years and that really helped drill in the importance of intellectual property (and what a messy topic Fair Use can be). I still really value how previously-created content gets remixed into new creations, though, and I still use magazine images for a lot of personal/noncommercial purposes that copyright purists might frown upon. Children's book images are still some of my favorite imagery.
  • I don't think I even own 12x12" scrapbook paper anymore, I just have smaller scraps. Most of the pages I used for this swap were in packets from the dollar store, but eventually they stopped carrying it, and the price of scrapbook paper elsewhere started blowing my mind. When I went to a specialty scrapbooking store and found that their going-out-of-business clearance price for individual sheets was about $3 each, I knew it was time to seek alternatives. As much as I like the look of many of the brands out there, I've been trying to redirect myself to homemade and second-hand decorative paper designs, figuring out what I can DIY.
  • It was also far too easy to justify spending money weekly at Michael's, usually on scrapbooking doodads, with the 40% off coupon that always came in the mail. My annual crafting expenses are maybe 25% of what they were in the late 2000s. The reduction in swaps has curbed my purchases and expenses as well.
  • Unlike now, I tended to take in any craft-related materials others didn't want, instead of letting them go to a thrift store and trusting that they would find good homes without my intervention. I see a number of materials in these images that I shoehorned into the projects, trying to get them used up. Now, if supplies don't delight me or hold great potential in my mind, I don't acquire it in the first place. That's not to say I don't love free stuff and serendipitous creations, but I've dabbled in enough crafts and mediums now to know what I do not need.
  • I try not to send out chaotic messes that I believe have some redeeming value. I now tend to plan the space/layout before I begin, and practice handwriting and drawing on scratch paper, along with testing pens and markers before committing them to paper. Likewise, I tend to put away tentatively-finished items for a few days and then return with fresh eyes, to find out if there's anything in need of improvement or clarification. If I botch something, I may very well start over from the beginning, if a suitable workaround can't be found. If I have a great idea but know I'm not able to execute it, I'll try to share it with people in hopes that someone else will make it happen. While I still want to craft all the things, I don't want people to be stuck with all the things I craft.
  • Whenever possible, no more flatbed scanning of 3D objects! (Ok, I just did this last year on one occasion, but I've almost learned my lesson!) All I had access to during most of this swap was a scanner, so that's what I used; it's still my preferred option for 2D art, but for me it's not worth owning the equipment in a small home. My new phone's camera sucks, but soon I'm going back to using a proper digital camera.

It's been quite a decade! I have been pretty scarce here since late 2012, but having Craftster helped me get from where I was to the awesome place I am now in life, while learning all kinds of new skills and techniques along the way!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018 07:44:44 PM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Does your household accumulate lots of dryer lint and empty toilet paper rolls? If you'll turn them into fire-starters for me, (stuff lots of lint inside the roll, fold edges, maybe add some candle wax), I'll happily send you something nice.
steiconi

Opa!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018 03:48:23 PM »

Wow, amazing pieces.
 I especially like the twigs and flowers and the shell pages.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Measure once, cuss twice.
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018 12:06:43 PM »

Wow, look at all that! Amazing variety of technique and material there. Very, very groovy compilations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...