A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,822
Currently Running With Scissors:
309 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stashvent ~ Reverse Advent Idea Overload  (Read 1432 times)
Tags for this thread: raok , random_acts_of_kindness , advent_calendar , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
JS

** Life: an amazing adventure. Pack well. **

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2018 07:01:39 PM »

Scroll down the thread to see more photos.

During the holiday season we strive to do something meaningful each day that is directed toward others.  Our family has donated bags of clothes and other items to shelters many times, helped serve community dinners, and participated in numerous food drives.  We try to carry this givingness through the year.  We have a jar that contains RAK ideas to do each day.  Nice, but not holiday festive.
I have been wanting to make a meaningful Advent calendar, out of stash materials, that focuses on giving.  Some things cost nothing but can make a significant difference and have a huge impact.  Combining an advent calendar with donations sounds like the ticket.  These are a few themes I'd like to implement:

Instead of adding sugary treats to the numbered slots, instructions will be slipped inside with suggestions for items to donate that day: canned goods, toiletries, pet supplies, toys, crafted items, books

Another idea for each day is to focus on a specific charity, cause, or organization.  Delve into an endangered species; learn about a certain illness; find out what legislation is being enacted to support research; discover the location - local? national?; map out the shelters in your area; talk about what was learned.  Donate time,  money, talents; raise awareness by spreading the word.  

Yet another idea focuses on time.  Each numbered advent slot contains a note with a timed activity:  Read a book for 20 minutes; Talk to a relative on the phone for ten minutes (torture for teens); Do jumping jacks for one minute; Visit a nursing home for half an hour; Next time stay an hour.

Make people smile.  Open a door for someone; Brush the snow off of car windshields in a parking lot; Sing the last half of Bohemian Rhapsody while in line at the bank or store, making sure to raise up on your toes during the "for meeEEE" part (guaranteed to make folks smile and some will hum along); Find the grumpiest person and tell him/her how wonderful they are;  Thank the school cafeteria workers for a delicious meal; Thank a bus driver for a safe journey; Ask a veteran to tell his/her story

The advent calendar itself isn't made yet.  After this busy weekend I'll get started.  I am collecting toilet paper rolls to use for the numbered slots.  The rolls will be wrapped in wrapping paper or fabric and look awesome in my imagination.  We'll see how it turns out Smiley

Happy Holidays, however you celebrate!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018 10:55:01 AM by rackycoo - Reason: added photo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

God doesn't send people to hell.  He simply honors their choice.
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018 05:15:13 AM »

What a sweet idea, I love it! I may borrow it for next year. We've been moving away from the extravagance many favour & focusing on other aspects of the season. This would work in very well with the new traditions we're building.
Looking forward to seeing what you make & how it goes for your family Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018 12:16:19 PM »

What a great idea! Keep us posted about how it goes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018 12:45:13 PM »

Wow, I cannot wait to see this finished project!!  I LOVE this idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018 05:06:26 AM »

I've been thinking about this a lot. Last year our auntie brought over one of those advent calendars with the little drawers. We have 3 kids so filling them with treats that rotate for each child only causes problems. I think a daily kindness would be just the thing. Maybe we could decorate dominos or some such and add the words, then put them randomly in the drawers. Whatever I decide, I'd better get started soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
JS

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018 04:41:32 PM »

Thank you, ladies Smiley   I hope to get started on this soon.

clm, the dominos are a brilliant idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JS

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018 04:11:05 PM »

My original advent calendar made entirely from stash ("Stashvent") is finished and proudly displayed in the dining room.  I used toilet paper rolls, wrapping paper, tape, and clothesline rope.  Empty pill bottles fit inside the tubes and conceal some instructions, inspirational quotes, or treats.

Instead of numbering the tubes, we are using a clothespin to mark the spot where we left off.

I must admit, I love it!  Using tp rolls for a Christmas item might seem in poor taste but it has the adventage of being made from stash.   I am inspired to make a longer garland with tubes and paper.  The tubes are like huge paper beads.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018 04:12:27 PM by JS » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018 05:56:06 PM »

Super! I am too far behind to even think of catching up this year but I've been contemplating next year lots and have ideas. This is wonderful Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JS

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018 03:43:15 AM »

Thanks clm.  Originally I planned to make something like this that hangs down a wall: http://xtremeteamduty.blogspot.com/2009/11/toilet-paper-roll-advent-calendar.html
but we have a dog with lots of curiosity.  The horizontal banner works for us.  Getting on a chair to retrieve the day's note isn't a big deal - the Teens are tall enough to reach up and scoop the container out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

I'm so squishy!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018 04:43:03 AM »

I love this idea and may just do it next year!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl
ETSY SHOP: www.etsy.com/shop/LadybuggirlCrafts
Personal & etsy Instagram:  http://instagram.com/ladybggrl/

Too blessed to be stressed! Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Caramel Candied Apple Salt Scrub
DIY Halloween Costumes
Meal Prep Monday: Fish Tacos with Green Sauce

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...