A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,845
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric snail with photo tutorial  (Read 956 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2018 06:08:18 PM »

I made this little fellow for ilovesnails in the most recent Secret Santa in July swap and thought I'd share the how-to for those of you that expressed interest Smiley.

Start with an 8-10" length of cord, it can be anything. I used a scrap of 3/8" paracord for the rainbow snail and a bit of thicker cotton cording (the sort you make piping with) for the tutorial. Alternately you could twist up some strips of fabric or strands of yarn to make a base, whatever you have on hand will do.

Take your strip of fabric and fold it round the tip of the cord like so.

Now twist a bit of wire, pipe cleaner, what-have-you around the head for the antenna, this will hold the fabric strip in place so you can begin wrapping it round the cord.

I did a small criss-cross over the pipe cleaner twist to conceal and secure it.

I used 1-1.5" strips of scrap fabric for this, about 3 times the length of the cord but you may use a different amount depending on how tight or loose you wrap. If you find you don't have enough length and you don't want to unwrap your work and start again, you can easily add more by putting the tail of a new piece under the last few wraps of the first piece, making sure to overlap well.

At the end use a clip or clothes pin to hold the fabric in place, or you can tie a knot or stick it with hot glue or add a little stitch of thread.

Take some embroidery thread (or yarn or whatever, this is your project, use what you've got!) again about 3 times the length of the cord. Starting at the head, criss-cross the centre of the strand around the antenna and tie a tight knot under the head.

Now wrap both ends of the strand tightly down the length of the cord in opposite directions so they cross each other. At the end tie a tight knot and clip the ends.

Here is the fun part. Starting at the tail, roll up the cord and either hot glue in place or stitch, like I did, through the cord to secure the roll. Stop when you like the look of your snail and tie a knot, hide the knot as best you can in the coil of the body.

Bend your wire antenna, you may add beads to the ends.

Glue your snail to a base to help it stand up or stick a magnet on one side to put it on the fridge. Either way, CUTE!

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018 10:47:24 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018 06:37:11 PM »

What a cutie! Thanks for the tutie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 60
steiconi
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018 09:26:18 PM »

Clever!  Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Measure once, cuss twice.
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018 08:28:07 AM »

This is absolutely adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018 01:46:04 PM »

Thank you Smiley. My sister is going to teach her son's class how to make these. I mentioned posting a tutorial and she reminded me yesterday so here it is. I hope she'll send me photos of their creations, I'll share them here if she does.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018 12:21:07 PM »

How cute! Now I want to make a whole collection of them using my fabric scraps. Thanks for sharing how you made them !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
BigBangMomma

@Lynx2Lancer on Instagram

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018 05:25:01 PM »

So sweet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller

Mini 12 Days of Christmas: Waiting to Send!
LV Round 30:Hosting SusieQ!
Monoprint on Fabric Swap: Sent!
Sweat Shoppe Ornament Swap: Offering "Craftster Christmas Tree" and "Cactus Santa"
Masterboard Swap Rd  2: SIGN UP NOW!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Smoked Salmon Fettuccine
@Home This Weekend: Upgrade Your Kitchen
Tute Tuesday: Caramel Candied Apple Salt Scrub

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...