A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,841
Currently Running With Scissors:
224 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to price items to offer cheaper shipping online  (Read 382 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
fluffypants
« on: September 24, 2018 05:14:18 PM »

Hi all,

Hoping someone has some thoughts to share! I'm starting up a new Etsy shop (the one in my signature is my poor dead one). My main item is 1.25" pinback buttons. I'm based in Canada, and shipping to the US or international is intensely high. For example, to the US, even a single button needs to go as "small packet" mail, which costs $8.75. On a $2 button, it seems silly to spend close to $9 on shipping!

I played around with pricing my buttons higher and lowering the shipping cost to even it out, but I feel like charging over $2 for a small button is getting expensive. I also considered selling buttons in lots rather than individually so that the shipping didn't sound so high, but my buttons don't make sense to sell in themed batches for the most part, haha.

Anyone have thoughts on how I can even out my costs to provide cheaper shipping?

I already sold two buttons without advertising (but I had a lower shipping cost listed as I hadn't calculated it properly) so I feel like they're an easy item to move as long as the price is reasonable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imera
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018 05:10:25 AM »

As I'm based in Norway I know the struggle of high shipping.

So, my items are not as cheap as yours, but I still feel like I want to lower the shipping cost slightly. While deciding that to do I asked myself a few questions:

Is the small packet the smallest thing you can use? Are there other shipping companies around that might be cheaper?
Can I increase the item price to make up for some of the shipping? How much do I want to make on my crafts?

I did discover that switching from the small box to envelopes for the items that aren't in danger of damage I could lower my cost with about 30% (if I'm not too mistaken). I'm also thinking of increasing the price, but only slightly, so I can offer a slightly lower shipping cost. What I make isn't that much, but it's the price range I want to stay in so I won't be increasing/lowering the prices based on that criteria. And it's also the cheapest company so I won't be switching anytime soon.

You said you could maybe sell them in batches, what about offering something like "pick any 5 for $x", or custom made buttons. You could also try to make sets whenever you do make them.

Good luck deciding what to do, I have scrapped several ideas of cheaper items I would like to make because of this shipping issue XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluffypants
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018 08:25:49 PM »

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately Canada Post has limited options (and they are my cheapest bet) so even in an envelope it's costing me these prices.

In the meantime I think I may offer flat rate shipping on my shop as my items are all very small. Hopefully that creates interest in shoppers purchasing a few items to make the shipping costs more reasonable.

I like the idea of "5 for $X" or something along those lines, my biggest worry was how to list them so that I don't run out of stock if I make multiple sales in one day. Gotta figure out how all those multiple item listings work still. Smiley

Thanks again for the response, much appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upgrade Your Kitchen
Tute Tuesday: Caramel Candied Apple Salt Scrub
DIY Halloween Costumes

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...