A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 315,368
Currently Running With Scissors:
227 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mirabelle Coneflower Cross Body Bag  (Read 827 times)
Tags for this thread: cross_body_bag , coneflower_cross_body_bag , mirabelle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

gozer
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW
« on: September 24, 2018 08:51:07 AM »

Hello! I got the new pattern for my Bag of the Month club https://carriedawaypatterns.com/ on the 15th and was able to sew it this weekend. The pattern is called the Coneflower Cross Body Bag. I knew exactly what fabric I was going to use as soon as I saw the pattern. When I joined up I promised myself I would only use my stash fabrics for the focus fabrics. Im trying to use this as a stash busting experiment. I did buy the cork to go with it. I have seen so many people using the cork fabric that I just had to try it and I knew it would look good with the Mirabelle fabric. I am really happy with how it turned out. I think its one of my favorite bags that I have made. I already have a couple more planned. One for me (this one is going to my bestie, Bunny1kenobi) and one for my Mom for Christmas.
 The pattern shows the back as the front, but to me this is the back.

And this would be the front.

It has a zippered pocket on the back (what I consider the back) and two slip pockets plus another zippered pocket inside. It also has another pocket under the flap.

The sides have a nice accent of the cork. I was so nervous to sew with it but it was really quite easy. WAY easier than vinyl. You don't even need a walking foot.

Thanks for checking it out. I was so happy with how it turned out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018 09:01:33 AM »

WOW, WOW, WOW!  That's about all I can say once I pick my jaw up off the floor!

How did you like sewing with cork?  I have several Swoon patterns and they call for vinyl or cork and I've never worked with cork.  The results are beautiful, and your fabric is outstanding
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gozer

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018 10:08:29 AM »

The pattern club I am in is a collaboration between Swoon Patterns and Blue Calla Patterns.  Cheesy  The cork was really easy to sew with. The kind I got from JoAnn's was very short though so I had to get more than what the pattern called for. They have it wider at Hobby Lobby I believe. It has a sort of webbing on the back that makes it pliable. Very cool material. And thanks for the compliment on the bag. I was really excited that it turned out like I envisioned.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018 11:14:16 AM »

This turned out great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 22
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018 11:30:14 AM »

Seriously beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018 12:14:09 PM »

Beautiful! I like cork lots, I saw some shoes and even an umbrella at a trade show a couple years ago. It is such neat looking stuff. A nicely renewable resource too, that makes it extra groovy. Looks really terrific with the fabric you chose, gorgeous construction.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SonjaBoo

Release the Craftin'!

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018 12:30:22 PM »

Gorgeous! I love your fabric/cork choices. Do you have to treat cork at all to keep it strong? Or does it hold up pretty well? I had no idea you could sew with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kwality570
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018 05:31:12 PM »

This is amazing! When I saw the example, I didn't think it could get any better...until I saw this one. So great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

Unicorn imposters are everywhere--stay vigilant!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018 10:28:20 AM »

Huh, I did not know that you could sew with cork--considering how relatively delicate it is, I wouldn't think that it would hold up to that kind of stress, but I guess whatever the backing is works wonders (maybe they treat the wood with chemicals to make it more pliable/resilient too, I dunno).  I can remember easily scraping/peeling the thin cork off of my parents' plastic coffee cup coasters with my fingernails when I was a kid, so, that's probably why I think of it as so easy to damage.

Lovely choices for the other fabrics too, both the Mirabelle Santoro girls and the surrounding butterflies.  Very attractive and professional looking bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018 06:00:43 PM »

I didn't know that cork could be used as a fabric, but it looks fantastic.  Your bag is spectacular.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: St. Patrick's Day Wreath
March 13, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Wrap Front Top

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...