A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,879
Currently Running With Scissors:
249 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Using mens ties to revamp a 1970s folding suitcase rack  (Read 774 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
blupaisan
I work for Cats.

I am the DandiGirl, koo koo ka choo.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2018 12:08:29 PM »

A dear friend owns an Adirondack summer home compete with one of those fabulous mens ties chairs in her guest bedroom. However, when guests do arrive (and they flock to her place each summer for the beauty) they end up putting their luggage on the bed. Not too convenient. So I decided to provide her with a rack to go along with the theme of her chair.

My friend George Albee made a luggage holder in 1970 as a gift for my parents. It has remained in the family and in spite of the fabric ribbons being busted for the past ten years, I rescued it from the tag sale my father held when he moved to assisted living last year.

What was originally on it..... gorgeous and retro but no way to salvage.

I have been collecting ties for a couple of years, hoping to one day make a tie chair of my own. Each time Goodwill has them for 99 cents, I gorge. So I was able to dig into my collection and come up with nine brown themed silk ones for this project. I did not want to use any bright or fun fabrics because I was afraid they might clash with the existing chair at my friend's house.

Since I have been ill all summer, my joints don't really work so I could not pick up my sewing machine in order to set it up and sew a bunch of ties together, which I originally pictured for this project. I opted to braid them instead and I think it will do. So I was able to hand sew in the few places that needed such a thing, which was only the edges.

I was even able to save all 18 little brad nails and use them in the original holes.

Here is what it looks like where it meets the wood. The one place that you still get the visual of a tie.

This is her Christmas gift but will be handed over next week before she leaves her summer home.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are the Redcoats. And they are ours! Or tonight Becky Thatcher sleeps a widow!
Patraw

C'mon, pegasister, quit foaling around!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018 12:46:39 PM »

That's a really neat use for old ties that I'd never seen or heard of until now!  The different tie patterns make for pretty braids too.  A dollar a tie is a pretty good thrift store price; I've never looked at the local Goodwill's tie selection (I generally make a beeline for the toys), but the St. Vincent de Paul Society thrift store I frequent most often sells them for that same price.   Do you have a photo of your friend's chair that you hope to pair this with?  And sorry to hear that your joints weren't up to managing your sewing machine; hopefully they'll improve with time.

Sad tie confession #1: I only own clip-on ties.  I watched my sister's friend's husband show a boy how to tie his tie at my sister's wedding last month, so, after that demonstration, I kinda, almost, sort of think I could manage that myself now . . .  Roll Eyes

Sad tie confession #2:  When I was buying my clothes for said wedding, I seriously considered getting a garish Coneheads Beldar tie and wearing that, but, common sense prevailed, and I bought a respectable solid dark brown one instead.  You shouldn't show up at your sister's special day dressed like a clown--even I know that!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018 01:07:27 PM »

Such a great project, I love using old ties in stuff like this. I have a collection but can't remember what I started collecting for so am always on the look out for good ideas. I will file this one for sure, thanks for sharing Smiley.

Patraw, my siblings are allowed to dress like clowns if the mister and I ever decide to get legal. Coming from our family I would expect no less Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018 02:28:22 PM »

How clever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 64
LadybugsAndBumblebees

Ohana, my loves. <3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018 05:34:14 PM »

I love that everything you make has a history to it, nothing goes to waste, you are so thoughtful and mindful of the person you are giving it to, and you always find a way to get it done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl
Personal & etsy Instagram:  http://instagram.com/ladybggrl/

"The time has come the walrus said, to talk of many things...of sailing ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside
Meal Prep Monday: Autumn Vegetable Tian

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...