A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,452
Currently Running With Scissors:
191 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 56
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Circular Shrug / Vest - Scale Model - TUTORIAL  (Read 334122 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

CarlaB
« Reply #420 on: December 09, 2005 06:57:44 PM »

Hi craftsters,

Hmm.  In addition to being so hubris-filled that I thought I was beyond doing yarn math, I also seem to be unable to post to Craftster I posted the below earlier today and it doesnt seem to have gone through.  So here it is again, and if this is somehow a repeat, my apologies just wanted to be sure that at least I could be a cautionary tale.

Thanks for the helpful replies to my questions; I went ahead and did 10 inches of mock rib and finished with 5 inches of double rib...and it's just a too short.  The only way to get it to wrap in a nice way around my body requires pulling the back collar area halfway down my back which makes the vest nearly off-the-shoulder, which is not a very good look for this vest and possibly all vests since they are pretty much by definition held up by the shoulders.  I am 5'8" so perhaps if you are shorter you can get away with less mock rib.  Otherwise, anyone out there who is running low on yarn and thinking that maybe a bit less of the mock rib will be enough, beware. 

I am going to spend a day in mourning and then I'm going to rip the whole thing apart and, after doing very careful yarn math, if I have enough yarn, I'm planning on knitting up the anthropologie caplet that was kindly suggested by one of you.

We must remember that it is the agonizing defeats that make the triumphs so triumphant.  Even if the defeats are more because we are dumb rather than visionary or strong or brilliant.

CarlaB
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knottyknitpicks
« Reply #421 on: December 10, 2005 10:42:42 AM »

Hi CarlaB,

Sorry to hear that yours turned out shorter than you like. 

I'm 5'7" and i knitted mine for a total of 30 inches - 5 inches double rib each at the beginning and end, and then i knittied 20 inches of 1x1 rib for the body.  Did you remember the extra 4 inches when you casted on?  That gave mine the cap sleeve effect.  if you did, then i'd suggest frogging the last 5 inches of double rib you knitted - add 10 inches (or a little more) of your mock rib for the body - then finish off with the 5 inches double rib. This way you don't have to frog the whole thing. even't though i'm 5'7", i have to tell you that i do have a bit of a long torso.  so 30 inches in length might work out for you. 

you can see pics on the previous page of this thread, on my blog, or my gallery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
capnhooty
« Reply #422 on: December 20, 2005 07:02:27 AM »

ok...so I've read through this entire thread at least twice.  But forgive me if this has already been answered.
My question is....has anyone actually made this shrug from the yesterknits pattern?
For myself I think the way the shawl collar lays on this one would be more flattering than having the ribbing stretched and pinned across my more than ample boobies I guess I'm looking for feedback on the pattern.
I like the way it folds over completely and just lays that way.
I requested the pattern this morning and LOVE all the FO's on this thread.
Such creativity and ingenuity!!
Fabulous work everyone!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lulu Clyde

Making it in Brooklyn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: December 20, 2005 08:09:04 AM »

Some one on this post made it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nixx
« Reply #424 on: December 20, 2005 03:51:31 PM »

ok...so I've read through this entire thread at least twice.  But forgive me if this has already been answered.
My question is....has anyone actually made this shrug from the yesterknits pattern?

page 36, gleek knit it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ford, you're turning into a penguin.  Stop it.
--
www.uber-dork.net ; www.myspace.com/nikkirawr
capnhooty
« Reply #425 on: December 20, 2005 07:07:43 PM »

thank you nixx!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nixx
« Reply #426 on: December 23, 2005 01:17:55 PM »

no problem Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ford, you're turning into a penguin.  Stop it.
--
www.uber-dork.net ; www.myspace.com/nikkirawr
zeeuzoon
« Reply #427 on: January 13, 2006 09:44:56 PM »

I've been reading all of the posts and finally decided to try it myself. Used Joann's Angel Hair yarn, that's why the shrug is kind of fuzzy in the picture,i think it's a bit big, maybe i casted on too many stiches, but i still kind of like it Smiley
thanks for all the advices and tips from all posters and thanks for looking

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/zeeuzoon/album?.dir=/bf20

Carol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 14, 2006 12:13:52 AM »

I finished mine tonight... this took me soooo long because of other projects meanwhile...

I used purple worsted weight yarn out of a bargin bin at lewiscraft (100% unknown fibres, but was actually pretty soft!), which is sold in lbs,(1lb for $7.00) not yards, so I have no idea how many yds it took... but it only cost me $4.66 to make!

I love this pattern!!!

Emms
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lasandri
originator of the term "crackster", as in craftster is like crack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: January 14, 2006 12:32:53 AM »

hey emmie looks fantastic! even better than the last one! i love the color Smiley

yr bff
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 56 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Intoxication Station
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...