A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,879
Currently Running With Scissors:
293 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Casserole, I never "got" them until now  (Read 970 times)
Tags for this thread: casserole , dinner , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2018 02:27:57 PM »

I couldn't figure out what a casserole was supposed to be, the recipes for them are all over the place! What was the guiding principle behind the dish, there didn't seem to be a rule I could discern. I think I finally get it now though, it's just stuff, often left overs, that combine well, baked together until bubbly and very often topped with cheese or crumbs. Eureka!

This one is left over rice and black beans with corn, diced fresh tomato, chopped up bbq chicken, topped with cheese and served with salsa and sour cream (or yogurt, that's what we had) on the side. The kids are so happy with this meal. It's basically their favourite burrito filling so how can you go wrong?

I would really love your favourite casserole recipes. I'm pretty sure with enough of them I can get the kids to cook a few more dinners on their own. Yay, freedom from the stove! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018 05:27:32 AM »

I loooooooved casseroles growing up.  My dad was a fireman and HATED them so my mom and the rest of us kids always ate casseroles when he was on duty.  And you're right, there are no rules for them just throw some stuff together and top it with cheese!  

My favorite was leftover spaghetti placed into a dish with cubes of cheese stuffed into it and baked.  It was gooey and bubbly and cheesy and delicious!

Another fave was 2 lbs. ground beef, browned, mixed with 8 oz. of cream cheese, 2 tbls. worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup ketchup, salt and pepper, poured into a casserole dish and baked until crusty.  We would serve it over rice and it was such a good stick-to-your-ribs meal, perfect for a cold wintry day.

It's also good to whip these up the night or morning beforehand and have a young'in throw it in the oven when you're on the way home that way dinner is done!  One less thing to worry about
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018 05:39:04 AM by bethntim » THIS ROCKS   Logged

patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018 05:49:06 AM »

Here's the "rule" for casseroles I use! This is from a book called The Tightwad Gazette.  The author has a Universal Muffin recipe that I use all the time too.

Universal Casserole
Makes 4 to 6 servings

1 cup main ingredient
1 cup second ingredient
1 to 2 cups starchy ingredient
1/2 to 1-1/2 cups binder
1/4 cup goodie
Seasoning
Topping

Main ingredient: Tuna, cubed chicken, turkey, ham, seafood, cooked ground beef, etc.

Second ingredient: Sliced celery, mushrooms, chopped hard-cooked eggs, green beans or other cooked vegetables, etc.

Starchy ingredient: Sliced potatoes, cooked noodles or rice, etc.

Binder: Cream sauce, sour cream, canned cream soup concentrate, shredded cheese, low-fat mayonnaise, beaten eggs, mashed beans, etc.

"Goodie": Pimento, olives, almonds, water chestnuts, etc.

Topping: Bread crumbs, shredded cheese, panko, sesame seeds, etc.

Directions: Combine all ingredients and cook on the stove until warmed all the way through, or layer in a 2-quart casserole dish coated with nonstick spray and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, until it bubbles at the sides. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PattyO's Pinterest

15 year old daughter ISO a kid/teen craft swap partner!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018 06:12:24 AM »

Ooh great stuff! I looked up that book and boo, it is about 5 times the price in Canada as on amazon.com. Our library doesn't have it but I'll see if they can order it in. Cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018 10:22:02 PM »

Our Library does have the tightwad gazette book. But, I think its out of print, so checking E-Bay.ca might be a better option. Or, maybe your online bookstore might have it in their Rock bottom remainders. Scouring used book stores or library cast-off sales would be a good idea. Checking flea-markets or yard sales, or Salvation Army, Valu Village-type shops might score you one.
Searching for used ones on your search engine might work as well.
Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018 01:48:12 PM »

I got it! They had a hard time finding it but eventually located a copy. It's a pretty intensive collection.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside
Meal Prep Monday: Autumn Vegetable Tian

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...