A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,628
Currently Running With Scissors:
173 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Memorabilia from old neck ties  (Read 908 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Sashimi89
« on: August 27, 2018 02:54:09 AM »

Hello guys!

My grandfather passed away about a month ago. He was always dressed very well and had a huge collection of neck ties that I've now stolen from my grandmother. The ties are someting that relate to my grandpa quite strongly for me and I would like to create some kind of small trinket from his ties to remember him by for each of my cousins, uncles and the brothers and sisters he leaves behind as a Christmas gift this year. I've gone over the huge "reusing neckties" thread and there are some awesome ideas but nothing that really fits my purpose as most are too big or require too many ties per "project".

I'm wondering if any of you folks can think of a suitable trinket I could make "en masse" with 1 or 2 ties used per trinket. For any extra materials needed for the memorabilia I can spend about 15 - 20 bucks per trinket.

Looking forward to seeing your ideas and thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
endymion
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018 04:32:16 AM »

The first thing that popped into my mind was a coin purse.

The second was a [Christmas-or-not] ornament. You could make a stuffed round shape with one tie fabric on the front and a second on the back. You could even put a picture of him on the front... paper, or if you wanted the whole thing to be fabric, you could get those photo fabric sheets that you run through an ink jet printer.

Small padded picture frame? Or a similar treatment on a small trinket box?

Whatever you end up making, good luck! This is such a nice gesture, and a lovely way to commemorate him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/magnifisweets
www://craftcrossing.com
Improbable Bird Lady YouTube video link: https://youtu.be/tqHw31kMEsU
geekgirl1000100

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018 05:14:00 AM »

This sounds like a really nice idea.

I had a list of ideas until I reread your post and saw you needed ideas for men and women
The only things I can think of are small zip pouches or eyeglass cases
or if you used 2 ties maybe a small reusuable gift bag/drawstring bag
luggage tags or a key ring strap.

Hello guys!

My grandfather passed away about a month ago. He was always dressed very well and had a huge collection of neck ties that I've now stolen from my grandmother. The ties are someting that relate to my grandpa quite strongly for me and I would like to create some kind of small trinket from his ties to remember him by for each of my cousins, uncles and the brothers and sisters he leaves behind as a Christmas gift this year. I've gone over the huge "reusing neckties" thread and there are some awesome ideas but nothing that really fits my purpose as most are too big or require too many ties per "project".

I'm wondering if any of you folks can think of a suitable trinket I could make "en masse" with 1 or 2 ties used per trinket. For any extra materials needed for the memorabilia I can spend about 15 - 20 bucks per trinket.

Looking forward to seeing your ideas and thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018 08:09:32 AM »

This is an insane amount of work but perhaps your gran would like those ties returned to her in the form of a tree skirt? The family would get to see it & share memories of grampa every December Smiley.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018 08:09:59 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018 08:54:35 PM »

I am making my girlfriends little sewing kits using recycled makeup compacts. I filled them with bits & bobs from a dollar store sewing kit - they run about $1- $1.50. For the pincushion, I used a piece of cotton - your necktie fabric would look nice here. I just used a scrap of quilt batting to stuff it. The fabric is wrapped around a circle of cardboard made from a cereal box. Anyway, here's a pic - maybe it will inspire you

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018 08:55:37 PM by seleniebeanie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
reginald
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018 11:03:36 PM »

What about key cases? They're small, they're useful and each member of your family could use them.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018 11:04:19 PM by reginald » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PerennialProcrastinator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018 06:28:52 AM »

I think this a really lovely idea and I think your family will be really touched.

How about microwave hot (not water) bottles. You know the ones that are filled with rice, I think, and you can add a scent like lavender. The traditional long, thin rectangle that can sit across your shoulders; I have a wee square one; you can buy them in cuddly-toy/animal shapes. You could patchwork different ones using a few ties over several different items, maybe with a plain background to stretch the tie fabric further.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JS

** Life: an amazing adventure. Pack well. **

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018 09:48:23 AM »

What a loving tribute, whatever you make!  My father also wore ties and now my daughter has some of them for keepsakes.

I suggest rolling a tie into a flower (start with the small end) and wear it as a brooch or hairclip.  The men could use it as a boutonniere.  Or make the wide end into a cell phone protector.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God doesn't send people to hell.  He simply honors their choice.

My STS Shop
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Doily Display
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...