A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
248 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pinecone Fire Starter  (Read 709 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
hillcitybride
« on: February 05, 2018 01:01:04 PM »

We love using these tried and true starters to get our fire blazing!

Supplies:

soy wax flakes (do NOT use leftover wax from store bought candles!); you can also use beeswax, but ONLY use a natural wax
flammable outdoor items such as pinecones, bark, berries and tiny sticks
paper muffin cups
wax paper (this is for protection of surfaces when dealing with potential wax drips)
muffin tin or small cups to give shape to the paper muffin cups
glass, microwavable container suitable for pouring (and a microwave; if you dont have a microwave, a saucepan or double boiler setup would work)
scent (optional; I chose a pine scent specifically for candles)
epsom salts (optional; this makes a whitish flame when burned)
wicks (optional; I make candles and always saved my trimmed wicks for projects like this; twine would also suffice)

Instructions:

Place your paper muffin cups into the muffin tin or cups.
Melt your wax. I prefer to do this in a glass, microwaveable container that has a pour spout (a Pyrex measuring cup works well!). If you do not have a microwave, then you can melt the wax in a saucepan or use a double boiler setup (I have not personally done either). In the microwave you want to take a cup of wax and melt it for about 1.5 minutes. Microwave for additional time if needed.
After your wax is melted, pour a bit into your muffin cup. I would say to fill it up about 1/3-1/2 of the way full. Adding in your burnable elements will increase the level.

Add in your burnable elements. This can be done in whatever arrangement you think is pretty, and children can even help in this step (be sure they dont knock over the wax!).
During this step I added pinecones, bark pieces and wick segments.
Be SURE to let your wick not sink down as this will actually be where you will light the fire starter.
After you have everything arranged as you see fit, you can add in a bit more wax if you arent happy with the level, but be sure it doesnt spill over (if it does, its not the end of the world there will just be wax outside of the paper liner).
If you choose, sprinkle your fire starter with epsom salt (it looks almost like snow!), and you can also add in unmelted soy wax flakes to add dimension and interest for fun.

I like to pop my project into the fridge (or freezer) to harden, but if you do this, just be careful in carrying so that you dont spill any wax. This is NOT necessary as the wax will harden in 30 minutes or so on its own.

Once it's cooled and hardened, it's ready to use. So fun and cute!

To find out more about these and to see a video tutorial, just check my site here http://www.hillcitybride.com/2017/12/pinecone-fire-starter-diy/

P.S. These are not for use as candles!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SevsOnlyGirl
Swap Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018 05:45:46 PM »

Great idea! I'll have to make some of these for the fall!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JS

** Life: an amazing adventure. Pack well. **

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018 06:55:00 AM »

Perfect for camping, and so pretty Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God doesn't send people to hell.  He simply honors their choice.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...