A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
403 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you organize your embroidery patterns?  (Read 944 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
thanate
wanting to do everything is *no excuse* for not doing anything.

writer/crafter/naturalist, mother, Team Oak Tree

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 24, 2018 07:13:12 AM »

(alternate sub-title: Is anyone else never going to be able to find anything again now that Urban Threads & Embroidery Library have banned pinterest?)

So I've had my embroidery machine for less than a year, and I already have a LOT of patterns.  (mutter mutter weekly sales, etc)  And while I have a folder system for the memory stick I keep them on, I also have been keeping a lookbook on pinterest so I can scroll through everything when I'm looking for project inspiration.  This serves several purposes: I can keep track of what I have, even if the folder it's in isn't the one I think I want for this project; I have a quick reference on my phone for when I'm trying to figure out which super blurry picture on the sewing machine screen is the one I want; and I can also use that quick reference when picking colors on the fly to figure out what's background & what's important parts of the design (again, something I can't tell on the sewing machine screen, & for which I need an accurate visual reference.)  I can also point friends & swap partners at the pinboard to let me know if they have requests. 

Unfortunately, Embroidery Library & Urban Threads have stopped supporting pinterest, and I am never going to be able to keep track of what I have again.  I get the potential copyright issues with image aggregation sites; whether they allow pinterest is their call.  But it sure makes my life more difficult.

Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions?  What sorting system(s) do you use?

Help??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"And the moral of Pierre is 'Care'." -Maurice Sendak

Join us for the Last Swap: Little Good Things R2

Ugh, it's like Thanos, ok? (Also, I prefer *not* to destroy the universe when possible.) Thann-uh-tay
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018 07:19:13 AM »

I haven't really got a suggestion about this per se but I wonder what positing this query to those businesses might yeild? They must have considered it in their decision making process. Perhaps they have suggestions, they might even be working on something in house & your ideas could be invaluable to them. You never know!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018 07:19:48 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PLEASE MESSAGE ME YOUR CONTACT INFO!!!!!!!!

Craftster member 2006-2020 #CraftsterFriendsForver #craftyfriendsforever

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
geekgirl1000100
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018 08:06:34 AM »

What about Evernote?
I used it use it years ago and it serves the same purpose plus more.  You can save websites with screenshots, weblinks, create notes, scan in pics, receipts, etc. and organize in folders.  They have a free and premium feature.  I just started using it again because while pinterest is great, sometimes the app is slow.  And I use a private folder for swap ideas - so I am transitioning to Evernote for that and the note taking is more detailed etc.  You can also sync across 2 devices for free and I think create a link to access on a PC (haven't done that part).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018 08:45:05 AM »

Well that's cool. I am a paper-note writer usually but it's great having an online space to stash ideas. I can't go sketching copies of everything I like or think up, lol. That would require a lot of notebooks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
thanate

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018 09:34:54 AM »

I haven't really got a suggestion about this per se but I wonder what positing this query to those businesses might yeild? They must have considered it in their decision making process. Perhaps they have suggestions, they might even be working on something in house & your ideas could be invaluable to them. You never know!

Unfortunately, that's where I started.  I sent something similar to the above post and got one reply of "we just stopped using pinterest," and one of "We stopped using pinterest so our designs won't be misused; have you considered downloading our design sheets?" which are basically useless to the way I use embroidery designs.  I am attempting to muster the resolve to write back without starting, "Did you actually read the message I sent you??"   Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ugh, it's like Thanos, ok? (Also, I prefer *not* to destroy the universe when possible.) Thann-uh-tay
thanate

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018 09:41:06 AM »

What about Evernote?

I will look into that; thanks! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018 11:17:54 AM »

That is frustrating. They may very well be overrun with messages about it and all they can manage to send in reply is that pre-drafted response. Sad but it must be very difficult to keep embroidery designs from being copied. They are just drawings after all and anybody with a screen can easily get a copy and often you'd have no idea where it even came from if it was on a free sharing site.
Oh well, I hope you find a solution that works for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tayesmommy3
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019 10:31:51 AM »

So I have a laptop dedicated to my business. I keep folders on my desktop and organize my embroidery files into them. Each file is labeled with a category: Fonts, Animals, Sports, etc. I have found this is the best way for me to keep stuff organized. I also have multiple thumb drives.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thanate

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019 08:48:46 AM »

So I have a laptop dedicated to my business. I keep folders on my desktop and organize my embroidery files into them. Each file is labeled with a category: Fonts, Animals, Sports, etc. I have found this is the best way for me to keep stuff organized. I also have multiple thumb drives.

See, folders work up to a point.  They definitely help.  But then I am trying to remember a) what I actually have, and b) which folder I put it in (did this birds & flowers design go in "birds" or "flowers"?  Did the map go in "travel" or "light stitching, misc" because I filed it before I had a travel folder?)  Meanwhile, what I see while trying to choose designs on the machine is this:

Which is not super helpful if I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, and sometimes not even then.  Having a visual archive of clearly identifiable pictures I could scan through saved so much time selecting things to find out what they are and then waiting for the s l o w embroidery-machine brain to reload when they inevitably turn out not to be the thing I wanted. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...