A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
184 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Let's get together for some Toronto crafty events this fall!  (Read 1564 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Wulf

Long Live Craftster!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 13, 2018 05:17:13 PM »

Onyxknox suggested getting together for The Toronto Bead Society show and the Old Book and Paper Show. I usually go to the Old Paper Show, but I haven't been to a Bead Show for years, so I think this is a great idea. What about the Creativ Festival? Maybe the Makeology Craft Market in Hamilton?

Anybody know of any other interesting-looking craft fairs or markets in the Greater Toronto Area this fall?

Wulf
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018 05:20:05 PM by Wulf » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018 05:32:50 PM »

I AM IN! I'll keep my eyes open for local thangs. The Cotton Factory has events & what ever happened to the Bazaar of the Bizarre?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever the question, the answer is always CRAFTING! It's the fix for all the sicks. Makes me feel better every time.

and remember, ALWAYS USE THE GOOD BEADS, YARN, FABRIC!

Love you all, thank you so much for everything. XO
Onyxnox
Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018 01:59:52 AM »

I used to go to Creativ - but it's been hard for me to get to it since they moved it to near the Airport - and it wasn't as good - they changed how they do the workshops, the list isn't out in the summer anymore, etc - BUT if a group want to meet and go together, I would be happy to join in on that!

But yes, I absolutely would be happy to go together to the bead show - it is relatively central and cheap (coupon on the Toronto Bead Society site!!!!).

It's at the reference library that is just North of Yonge and Bloor, so just a block way from the Subway - pretty easy to get to, and easy meeting spot.  Also, there is the used bookstore there too - a good place for looking for books to use for mixed media.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Sad Bye Bye Craftster - where else can craft addicts unite??
Wulf

Long Live Craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018 04:14:25 PM »

Yes, the Plastik Wrap website isn't listing upcoming Bazaar of the Bizarre shows any more. Their Facebook page says the Halloween shows are October 7 in Toronto and October 14 in Hamilton, but there doesn't seem to be any more information than that. Huh

The Textile Museum of Canada fall fabric sale is November 2 and 3 at Artscape Youngplace on Shaw St. I try not to go to more than one a year, but I may have accidentally volunteered to help with this one. There's also a sale at the museum on October 3. I've never been to one of these, but it looks good.

I've never been to one of the Creativ craft shows, and I'd be willing to drive a carload out there for it.

Wulf

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018 04:15:44 PM by Wulf - Reason: Improvement. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018 07:20:43 PM »

OOOOOH - I missed the spring sale - thanks for the heads up about the Fall textile sale.  I love to go to pic up random textiles, vintage patterns, ribbons, lace, funky yarns for mixed media and feed my magazine fetish! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Onyxnox

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018 07:23:14 PM »

There are a couple of gem shows too - there should be one at the Don Montgomery Community Center in Scarborough in September, but I am not sure which date, and one at the Hyatt, and another in North York - I used to go to them, but they are probably better for someone looking for semi precious stones - but if there are artisan jewelers out there - I can try to find more concrete details.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Nou
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018 04:45:02 PM »

I'd be happy to attend local events.  

Culture Days has free art activities and workshops (I did metal stamping last fall).  September 28-30, locations vary.

In June, Evergreen community storefront in Hamilton hosted an art supply swap.  Great way to de-stash supplies and find new treasures, all free of charge.  I missed it so I'm hoping they'll host another soon.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018 05:16:09 PM by Nou » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wulf

Long Live Craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018 06:39:57 PM »

I never even thought about Culture Days. I never seem to find out about anything until it's over. I'll see if I can find out ahead of time this year.

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018 01:36:38 AM »

What are Culture days - is there a website?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest

Nou
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018 03:18:56 PM »

Culture days takes place all across Canada.  The website for Ontario is: https://on.culturedays.ca/en/activities 

You enter your city or postal code and they will show you listings of everything available near you.  From my experience, it's all hosted free of charge, all supplies included.  I've done needle felting in the past, as well as metal stamping, henna tattoos, watched a cake decorating demo, etc.  Most places are drop-in, some require reserving online in advance.

Local businesses (or cultural dance troupes, bakeries, art guilds, museums, galleries, recording studios, etc) host demos or workshops for the public to participate in.  Some are geared toward kids or teens, some are reserved for adults if the activity is slightly more advanced or uses sharps/tools.

If you can find a cultural hub, they will often host dozens of activities all in the same place.  That's what I did last year, instead of having to go from venue to venue.  I love that it takes place over three days so that you can choose your own adventure for the weekend. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...