A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,625
Currently Running With Scissors:
166 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: T-shirt panties, tutorial with mondo photos  (Read 1534 times)
Tags for this thread: tshirt , tshirt_recon , panties  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 11, 2018 01:59:46 PM »

Please let me know if something isn't clear. It will be helpful if you've got a bit of experience with sewing as well as pattern drafting or at least the courage to experiment. Have fun, the worst that can happen is that they don't fit and you've got to tweak your pattern Smiley.

Drafting the pattern is fairly simple and while you can try to trace a pair of panties I recommend beginning with a pair that fit you well and are on their last legs so you don't mind cutting them up. Cut very close to the stitching line, cut off seams, elastic, etc until you are left with only the 4 pieces shown here. Trace each piece onto paper and cut them out. Fold each piece in half evenly so you can even out any parts that aren't perfectly symmetrical, try not to alter the shape too much (check them against the fabric pieces). Wherever a seam will meet another seam, like the crotch pieces and the front and back sides, line them up and check that they are the same length. Adjust as needed and again, check against the fabric pieces to make sure you haven't trimmed so much from any one place that you radically changed the shape of things.
Retrace each piece onto fresh paper and add a small seam allowance around the edges, I use only about a 1/4 inch but add what you'll need. Label all the pieces. Now cut out your fabric!

Line up the front piece and the outside crotch piece at the front crotch seam as shown, right sides facing up. For clarity, I intend for the pale green to be the outside crotch piece, the blue fabric with bugs will be on the inside crotch.

Turn the outside crotch piece over so that it's laying on top of the front piece, right sides together with the front crotch seam lined up.

Turn both pieces over and line up the inside crotch piece with the front piece at the front crotch seam (front piece will now be wrong side up, inside crotch piece will be right side up).

Turn the inside crotch piece over so that it's laying on top of the front piece with it's right side down. All of the front crotch pieces are lined up.

Pin the crotch pieces together. They'll likely have opposing curves as mine do, simply pull the fabric and force the edges to line up. Pin in place and sew the seam, I used a serger but a zig zag or overlock stitch on a regular machine may work as well.

Fold both crotch pieces away from the front piece, the seam is now hidden between the crotch pieces.

Line up the front piece, right side up, with the back piece, also right side up.

Turn the front piece over so that it is laying on top of the back piece, right sides together.

Roll the top of the panties down as shown.

Fold the inside crotch piece up and over to the back of the panties (see next picture for clarity).

Here you see the back crotch seam of the back piece as well as both crotch pieces, this seam will line up to be pinned and stitched (see next photo).

These are opposing curves. Pin the centre of all 3 pieces together, then the corners, then manipulate the edges to line up. Pin in place and sew (I used a serger here as well).

Take the end of one side and feed it through the space between a crotch piece and the body of the panties as shown and pull everything right side out. If this is a bit confusing look up how to sew a pillow case "burrito style", it is a similar technique and a video tutorial will give you a visual example of how-to.

The crotch seams are totally enclosed.

***If the raw edges of the crotch pieces are not even, trim them so they are. They will need to be the same in order for the elastic to be applied evenly. You can see the upper corner of my example is not exact, that got trimmed.

Place the side seams right sides together and stitch.

If you are using fold over elastic pin it starting in an inconspicuous area. The measurement will be up to you, how much give your elastic has and how snug you would like the leg holes to be. Keep in mind that you want the elastic to be tighter than the leg hole is naturally to keep the panties from riding up.

***There are instructions further on for applying flat elastic, it's a bit easier and works just as well.

Overlap the ends of the fold over elastic making sure to keep it all going in the same direction (you don't want a mobius strip of elastic here!).

With pins, mark the elastic and the leg hole evenly in half as shown.

See the 2 pins here? Instead of evenly lining them up I am placing the pin in the elastic about 1" away (towards the front of the panties) from the pin in the leg. This leaves less elastic on the back, around the bum, so it's tighter than the front and will hold snuggly in place around cheeks Wink.

Now the tedious bit of pulling and folding and pinning pinning pinning. Make sure to catch the fabric in the folded elastic or you will have many stitches to pick out later on.

Pulling slightly but enough to match up the fabric with the elastic, sew around the leg holes with a zig zag stitch. Take care with all the pins and to make sure you're catching the fabric all along.

Pin a length of ***flat elastic to the right side of the waist band (or leg if you are not using fold-over elastic) with the TOP of the elastic (in this case its got a bit of decorative ruffle) pointing down and the bottom of the elastic aligned with the fabric edge.
How much elastic you use will be determined by you, how tight you want the waist band to be, the give to your elastic. Once you've got a good measurement write it down so you'll remember for next time.
Slightly overlap the ends of the elastic in an inconspicuous spot.

Zigzag stitch in the centre of the elastic making sure to catch the fabric.

Fold the elastic up so the top is now pointing upwards and the bottom is on the inside of the panties, zigzag on the fold to catch the bottom of the elastic as well as the cut edge of the fabric. (you can sew this elastic so that it shows on the outside of the panties if you wish, you will just begin with it against the wrong side of the fabric so when you fold it over it shows on the right side)
This is MUCH easier than the folded over elastic BTW. I barely even had to use any pins at all Wink.

I had so much fun pairing all these pieces up Cheesy.

Made from kid's outgrown spidey jammies.

These are a few years old and have held up great to regular use and washing. As durable as a tshirt in fact Cheesy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018 02:35:08 PM »

Very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018 02:48:49 PM »

I started these when I lived in another province years and years ago and I am still not finished putting the elastic on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018 03:37:04 PM »

Cute and clever! You cannot believe how glad I was to see that there were some tee shirts in there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 38
audio

Nobody could do that much dcoupage without calling on the powers of darkness.

stay weird

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018 05:11:01 PM »

omg those look so comfy! great job! Love the crazy combos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Doily Display
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...