A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and encouraged! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 321,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
211 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scratch Ice Cream Sundae  (Read 192 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , whipped_cream , waffle , chocolate_sauce , ice_cream , ice_cream_topping  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 31, 2018 07:36:26 PM »

Decided to get my Martha Stewart on and make a sundae from scratch.  Really I just made homemade ice cream and then went, wellllll I can't put homemade ice cream in a store bowl, and if that I can't use spray can whipped cream.... you probably could use store sprinkles, but I even went homemade sprinkles.  That wasn't a whim though, I had those in the cupboard lol. Just wish I had homemade cherries to put on top!  Guess that's the next project.

I used a waffle bowl maker (I was going to link it and then it was $70!  Don't pay $70 for waffle bowls---I buy all my makers at the second hand shop) and ice cream maker for this dessert, so if you don't have those your mileage may vary.  But if you do, yum yum for you!

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Old Fashioned Vanilla Ice Cream

3/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 3/4 whole milk
2 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

In heavy saucepan, combine sugar, salt, and milk.  Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until mixture is steaming.  Reduce heat to low.  
In medium bowl, slightly beat eggs.  Slowly whisk half of the hot mixture into the eggs and pour back into saucepan.  Cook over medium-low heat until slightly thick, about 3 minutes.  Remove from heat and strain mixture with a mesh strainer into a container.  Refrigerate until chilled or overnight.
When ready to freeze, stir in heavy cream and vanilla into the chilled custard mixture.  Stir ice cream maker and pour mixture through hole in the lid.  Freeze until desired consistency.

Chocolate Syrup

1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix the cocoa powder and the water in a saucepan. Heat and stir to dissolve the cocoa. Add the sugar, and stir to dissolve.
Boil for 3 minutes over medium heat. Be very careful not to let it get too hot and boil over! It is surprising how quickly it will boil up in these three minutes.
Remove from heat. Add the vanilla. Let cool. Pour into a clean glass jar, and store in the refrigerator.
~This recipe yields two cups. It will last for several months in the refrigerator.

Waffle Cone Bowls

2 whole eggs
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat your waffle cone maker according to manufacturers instructions.
Mix together egg, egg white and salt until well blended. Beat in the sugar until the egg has lightened in color, about 1 minute. Add the flour and mix until blended and smooth. Add the melted butter and vanilla and mix until smooth.
Pour 1-2 TBSP batter in the center of the iron bowls. Close the lid and cook for 1 minute before lifting the lid to check for doneness. Continue cooking until the desired color is reached.
Quickly remove the waffles from the iron onto a wire rack to cool.

Whipped Cream

1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon granulated sugar

Put cream, vanilla, and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat until soft peaks begin to form. Cover and refrigerate until serving.

Homemade Sprinkles
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=422278.0

Now go make all, or go make one.  And hey, that chocolate syrup is great for those chocolate milk cravings if not just for ice cream.  
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018 09:44:47 PM by patty_o_furniture » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nou
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018 01:30:18 AM »

Wooooow

I am impressed by your work, and grateful that you posted recipes.  I can't wait to try the chocolate syrup, it seems like it could be versatile when making vegan and gluten free desserts for guests with dietary restrictions!  Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018 06:43:25 AM »

Now that's dedication to a goal!  Well done patty_o!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018 11:53:35 AM »

Im impressed with your dedication to doing it all homemade! It looks so good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over
Meatless Monday: Summer Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...