A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 321,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
209 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Black Bean & Caramelized Onion Tacos (Vegetarian - w/ Vegan friendly options!)  (Read 264 times)
Tags for this thread: vegetarian , vegan , taco , black_bean , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2018 09:51:35 AM »

This recipe is easy, fast, and doesn't heat up the kitchen too much in the dead of summer.  Mostly chopping and stirring, with just a bit of time in a skillet.  Happy (and healthy) Taco Tuesday!

Black Bean & Caramelized Onion Tacos with Lime Marinated Zucchini

Ingredients:
1  can black beans
1  large sweet onion
6  flour tortillas
1 Tbsp taco seasoning (or a mix of chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, cumin, cilantro, & Mexican oregano)
1  lime
1  zucchini
1 Tbsp  light brown sugar
2 oz  aged sharp cheddar cheese (or vegan cheese substitute of choice)
cup vegan sour cream substitute (or real sour cream if you want)
1 avocado
olive oil
salt & pepper

Directions:
Start by remembering that today is Monday, aka your husband's D&D night, and that you need to have made & finished eating dinner by 6:00 pm, so he can go slay demigorgons or something.  Decide that vegetarian tacos are the way to go, and pull out the ingredients.  Realize that you're going to need some help to get this done on time, and put on some James Brown to help get you moving.  I recommend "Get Up Offa That Thing".  

Prep the ingredients:  Zest the lime, then slice in half.  Quarter the onion, then slice about 1/4" thick.  Halve the zucchini lengthwise; then cut into thin half moons.  Grate the aged cheddar cheese on the large side of a box grater.  Drain and rinse the black beans.

Start the filling:  In a nonstick skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil on medium.  Add the sliced onion and season with salt & pepper.  Cook, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes.  Lower the heat to low, add the light brown sugar and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until golden and soft.  

While the onions caramelize, place the zucchini in a bowl with a light drizzle with olive oil, the juice of half the lime, and season lightly with salt & pepper.  Stir every few minutes, while getting on with the rest of your taco goodness.  You are the queen of multi-tasking.  

Realize that your James Brown song has ended, and ask Alexa to play you Brick House by the Commodores.  Heck yeah, you are kicking tonight's butt!

Go back to the skillet of onions, and add the beans, 1/2 cup of water, and the taco seasoning. Increase heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring occasionally and mashing the beans lightly with the back of a spoon, 7 to 9 minutes, or until thickened and the beans have slightly broken down. Turn off the heat; season with salt & pepper to taste.

While the beans cook, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream substitute, lime zest, the juice of the other lime half, 1 Tbsp of olive oil, and season with salt & pepper to taste.  

Wrap the tortillas in dampened paper towels and warm in the microwave for 15-30 seconds.  Or warm them in another skillet if you dislike microwaves.  But I for one, ain't got time for warming individual tortillas or washing extra pans!  The crafts, the crafts are calling....  Finally, slice the avocado at the last minute, because you almost forgot about it.

Assemble the tacos: place a schmear of the lime cream on the bottom of each tortilla, then a scoop of the the black bean & onion filling, tuck the avocado slices along the sides, and top with the shredded aged cheddar. Serve with the marinated zucchini on the side.  Watch your meat-eating Midwestern husband happily destroy his veggie tacos, and know you are victorious.  Wish him luck in his D&D game, while not seeming like you are shoeing him out of the living room so you can crochet & Netflix with your puppy.  
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018 09:52:28 AM by Mistress Jennie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018 11:25:30 AM »

Waaaahhhh! Why isn't teleportation real?! Or at least smell-o-vision!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018 02:03:53 PM »

Mmm, looks delish! It is zucchini season after all. My neighbours don't want anymore of them and there's only so much bread I can bake. Thanks for the recipe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM IN NEED OF GIRAFFE ITEMS!
70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th this December, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018 02:07:29 PM »

You always have the most unique recipes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady4feet

^Sushi. My problem child.

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018 09:21:37 AM »

Mmmm now I'm hungry. Tonight is veggie night at my house, time to go grocery shopping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018 12:07:11 PM »

Happy Meatless Monday lady4feet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady4feet

^Sushi. My problem child.

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018 04:51:48 PM »

I made these last night and everything was really good. I added some mushrooms when the onions were cooking, and used burrito size tortillas since that's what I had in the fridge. I really enjoyed the zucchini! I make marinated cucumber salad frequently but have never thought to try zucchini.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018 04:54:12 PM »

Thats awesome lady4feet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018 10:31:00 PM »

Yum! Sounds good and your text cranks me up! I don't ever eat raw zuke, will have to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love to cook, have an overflowing pantry, or want to save a little money on your grocery bill?
Join the Pantry Challenge Cookalong!

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over
Meatless Monday: Summer Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...