A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,876
Currently Running With Scissors:
179 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Starbuck's Pink Drink - Low-Cal Vegan Version!  (Read 911 times)
Tags for this thread: copycat_recipe , starbucks , strawberry , vegan , beverage  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2018 10:32:37 AM »

Terrible confession:  While I am a 30-something white girl with a large collection of scarves, I'm not much of a Starbuck's fan.  I know, I sort of fail at being a Millennial.  I'm not a coffee drinker, I'm lactose intolerant, and I dislike sweetened beverages that make my teeth feel fuzzy.  Sad

But that doesn't mean I don't see the appeal of those fancy coffeehouse drinks, because I do.  Every time I pass a Starbuck's poster advertising fantastic sounding concoctions of caramel and cream, or magical unicorn beverages, etc., I'm tempted.  So not being a Starbuck's fan, I missed their 'Pink Drink', until Pinterest felt the need to point out several 'do-it-yourself' versions of it last week.  I came across one that seemed perfect for me, the Healthy Pink Drink on 40 Aprons.  I headed over to Target for the Perrier strawberry sparkling water, and the freeze dried strawberries, breezing right past that Starbuck's kiosk on the way out, convinced I was about to make myself something much better than they could offer.  And boy was I right!

This was light, refreshing, and not a sugar bomb that would leave you feeling lousy later.  Somewhat like a strawberry egg cream.  Smiley  I did end up tweaking her recipe though, so here's my version.

Jennie's Modified Vegan Pink Drink

Freeze Dried Strawberries
Perrier Strawberry Sparkling Water
Crushed Ice
Pink Food color (optional)
Sweetener (optional, I tried it with Rose simple syrup, but prefer it unsweetened)
Milk or Creamer of choice

If you want any sweetener, pour some in the bottom of the glass.  1 Tablespoon of simple syrup should be more than enough.  Next pour a scant 1/4 cup of freeze dried strawberries in the glass, and top with half the seltzer, allowing the berries to rehydrate and dye the beverage pink. 

After a few minutes, take a peek and decided if it's pink enough for you.  If you want it pinker, add 1/2 drop of food coloring.  I do this by squeezing the food color bottle gently, and dabbing a bit on a clean (reusable!) straw, then stirring it in. 

Now add some crushed ice to hold the berries down in the beverage.  Next pour on the remaining seltzer.  Finally top with a splash of your favorite milk or creamer substitute. 

Personally, I liked the flavor of Nutpod's Vanilla Creamer, but the texture of Silk Cashew Milk.  The Nutpod's creamer tended to separate a bit, requiring you to stir every time you take a sip.  The cashew milk stayed evenly distributed, but since mine is plain it lacked the vanilla flavor.  Overall I'd describe it as a grown-up version of the strawberry Quick you might have drank as a kid, but lighter and more refreshing.  Creamy, fruity, but not overwhelmingly sweet.  A lovely pick-me-up on a hot summer afternoon. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018 10:33:45 AM »

I am so making this today when I get home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

geekgirl1000100
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018 10:54:59 AM »

This seems like it would be good with vodka.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018 11:00:18 AM »

This seems like it would be good with vodka.

Well what wouldn't be?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gozer
If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018 11:45:56 AM »

That looks so good. I recently gave up all soda and caffeine and that looks like a yummy way to punch up my sparkling waters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018 12:05:06 PM »

Freeze dried strawberries, eh? That's the secret to those drinks? Very cool. I recently gave up coffee and wine for health reasons, I need new drink ideas. This looks yummy, thanks Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018 12:12:28 PM »

That looks so good. I recently gave up all soda and caffeine and that looks like a yummy way to punch up my sparkling waters!

I'm such a seltzer addict, but sometimes want to fancy up mine too.  Now I'm wondering about trying this with my favorite peach seltzer and freeze dried peaches.... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018 06:49:07 PM »

I am not a Starbucks lover either! For a lot of reasons listed and also because the prices are ridiculous and the drinks have about a million and half calories! This looks amazing though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

curiousfae

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018 06:54:11 PM »

This GenX-er is not a Starbucks fan either! I also am trying to quit caffeine and pop. I love the smell and initial taste of the flavored seltzer waters but I find it's too bitter to finish a whole drink so this sounds like the perfect fix for that. I love my lemonades and such to be more on the sour side and not so sweet so your unsweetened version of this sounds just right!

Thanks for sharing!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018 06:56:07 PM by curiousfae » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018 04:32:14 AM »

I am not a Starbucks lover either! For a lot of reasons listed and also because the prices are ridiculous and the drinks have about a million and half calories! This looks amazing though!

YES!  This version is about 10-20 calories, depending on how big a splash you use of your milk substitute of choice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside
Meal Prep Monday: Autumn Vegetable Tian

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...