A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 321,178
Currently Running With Scissors:
208 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Roasted Chickpea & Freekeh Salad with Creamy Lemon Sauce - Vegan!  (Read 333 times)
Tags for this thread: vegetarian , vegan , moroccan , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2018 08:26:16 AM »

Roasted Chickpea & Freekeh Salad with Creamy Lemon Sauce

I initially tried the original version of this recipe when it was sent to me by Blue Apron.  I'm always looking for really flavorful vegetarian meals, that are so good my husband won't notice the lack of meat.  The Moroccan flavors in this dish are perfect for that.  What I loved most about this one, is that I nearly always have every single ingredient on hand already, so I can make it whenever I feel like it.  Over the last 5 or 6 times I've made it, I've slowly altered the recipe to better suit our home's spice preferences, and my lactose intolerance.  This is my vegan version.   Smiley

Ingredients:
cup  Cracked Freekeh
1  15-Ounce Can Chickpeas
2-3  Carrots
1  Lemon
1 bunch  Parsley
4-5 large Medjool Dates
2 Tbsps  Roasted Almonds
  Red Onion
1 Tbsp  Red Harissa Paste
cup  Vegan Sour Cream (I used Tofutti)
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper

Directions:
Start by finding some good tunes to groove to while you cook.  Whatever gets your hips swaying and puts your heart in a happy place.  I'd suggest some 80's Cyndi Lauper, but whatever you have is fine.  Happy hearts make delicious food.  Also, notice how pretty and colorful all your ingredients are.  This is gonna be a good meal.

Now preheat the oven to 425F and set a medium pot of salted water to boil.

While that heats, pour yourself a lovely cocktail or fauxtail, because you are a fabulous kitchen goddess, and you deserve it.  I made myself one with lemon-basil simple syrup, grapefruit bitters, and seltzer, because I'm a genius. 

Next drain & rinse the chickpeas, then spread them out on a piece of paper towel laid on top of a tea towel. Then use another layer of paper towel to roll the chickpeas, to pop them out of their skins.  This takes a little while and is boring.  If possible, enlist the help of a nearby friendly human.  Four hands make lighter work.  Drizzle the chickpeas lightly with olive oil & season with salt and pepper. Roast, shaking the pan halfway through, 20 to 22 minutes, until slightly crispy.

Next, just like when cooking lentils, check over the freekeh, making sure to remove any dirt or pebbles.  Trust me, it's no fun biting into a pebble!  Add the freekeh to the boiling water and cook, uncovered, about 24 minutes, or until tender. Turn off the heat. Drain the grains and return them to the pot. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, squeeze on the juice of 2 of the lemon wedges, and season with salt & pepper to taste. Cover to keep warm while you keep being amazeballs.

While the freekeh cooks, peel the carrots, halve lengthwise, then slice crosswise into pretty half moons. Because you can.  Pit and chop the dates. Chop the almonds. Roughly chop the parsley leaves and the stems.  Zest the lemon, then cut it in quarters and deseed. Finely chop the red onion.

While the grains & chickpeas continue to cook, in a medium pan (nonstick, if you have one), heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the sliced carrots; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 1-2 minutes, then add the chopped red onion and cook another 2-4 minutes, until everything is slightly softened. Seasonly lightly to taste.  Add chopped dates, the harissa paste, and cup of water. Cook, stirring frequently, 2 to 4 minutes, or until the carrots are softened and the water has cooked off. Add the carrot & onions, and half the chickpeas to the pot of cooked freekeh and stir to combine.

Place the vegan sour cream in a bowl, and add a drizzle of olive oil, the lemon zest, the juice of two lemon wedges and a pinch of salt & pepper.  Stir carefully, so as not to slosh the lemon juice and oil all over your hand. 

Divide the freekeh salad between two bowls, and top with the remaining chickpeas.  Sprinkle with chopped almonds & place a big dollop of the lemon cream sauce on top.  Sprinkle with parsley.  Take it to the table, and accept compliments graciously.  Cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018 10:29:02 AM »

I would cook a lot more if all the directions made me feel this good about myself!
Your dish sounds wonderful!  You could make a big batch and eat on it all week
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018 11:05:32 AM »

I would cook a lot more if all the directions made me feel this good about myself!
Your dish sounds wonderful!  You could make a big batch and eat on it all week

If you dislike cooking because it feels like a chore, seriously try putting on some music, and banishing kids and animals from the kitchen for the 45 minutes it takes to cook a meal.  Put on your power songs, dance and sing along, and get down with your awesome self.  It can change your day.  Smiley

Then again, if yo' bad self wants to order Chinese takeout, and lay on the couch in your pj's, then go with that option.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018 11:58:01 AM »

This looks yum and I bet I could make it with quinoa for my gluten-free mister.

I love to cook, I just don't love the negative reaction from at least one of our 3 kids no matter what I make. Our solution is to leave them inside and eat on the porch, ha ha ha Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM IN NEED OF GIRAFFE ITEMS!
70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th this December, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018 12:11:44 PM »

This looks amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018 12:33:29 PM »

I love to cook, I just don't love the negative reaction from at least one of our 3 kids no matter what I make. Our solution is to leave them inside and eat on the porch, ha ha ha Cheesy.

My current problem...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018 06:51:04 PM »

MMmmmm mmmmm good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018 08:26:23 AM »

YUM!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018 03:26:41 PM »

Oh, wow! This sounds delicious! Im trying to head in a more vegetarian direction with my eating habits, and this sounds like something I could make on a Sunday and eat for lunch for the next few days. And, your choices cr of music and your beverage concoction are perfect! Ive never had freekeh before, so itll be fun to try something new.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...