A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 314,663
Currently Running With Scissors:
189 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Miniature room box scene with mini plant tutorial  (Read 1453 times)
Tags for this thread: miniature , dollhouse , tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 23, 2018 06:25:30 AM »

I have always loved minis and wanted to make a cosy little scene myself and finally I had a great excuse to do so.

In the Use The Good Beads, etc swap my partner mentioned she loved little things and I was inspired to break out my best saved ideas, tutorials, and of course a few tiny treasures to include.
Every little bit that could be made by hand, was. The box is 5" X 5".

Here's a tiny upholstered chair with a blanket draped over it, a wee basket with balls of yarn, scissors and knitting needles, a lamp for light to craft by, loads of books, a fancy clock on the mantle, a cuppa on the lace covered side table, and of course a wee kitty for company.

Across the room there is a large, healthy plant, an aquarium with the tiniest plants and fishes, an old style phone, fancy silver candle stick on the mantle, and a framed photo of a ferocious tiger, GRRR!

The last detail I added was a pothos plant in a tiny terracotta pot made from paper clay. I thought that top shelf was looking a little bare and pothos are the only plant that will thrive in my home so they are everywhere and I love them Smiley.

The sides and back of the wooden box are covered in a collage of magazine pages, vintage sewing pattern paper, book pages in several languages, and some sheet music that was my father's.

The kitty is poly clay and was the trickiest thing to sculpt, wow.

That was actually the second attempt. The first turned out much too small but was surprisingly easier to make, I don't really understand that at all.

The yarn basket was woven from thick sewing thread on the end of a glass tube. It was painted and let dry, the handle and trim braided and glued on afterwards. The balls of yarn are thread covered beads, knitting needles made of vintage steel pins that were in an old pin cushion my mom recently brought me, and the scissors are a straightened hook from a tiny hook and eye set.

The chair is card stock, felt and fabric. and a lot of glue.

The aquarium is made from packaging that held very small hook and eye sets, black card, a bit of magazine clipping for the watery background (I wish I'd used something lighter as you can hardly see it at all), sewing thread for the plants, real beach sand on the bottom, and orange puffy paint for the fish. I think there is at least 3 kinds of glue holding it all together. It was crazy to make, I will likely never do it again at this micro scale, lol.

The telephone is black sheet foam and a piece of string that was coated in glue then wrapped around a pin and dried in place. I love an old fashioned curly phone cord, we have that sort of phone at home still Cheesy.

The window, carpet, and mirror frame were printed then glued onto card stock, the mirror is a bit of reflective plastic sheet from Alphastamps for doll house mirrors.

Side tables, fire place, and bookshelves all made from cardboard and either painted or papered. The only thing I had to purchase was the paper for the walls and the ceiling.

Here is how I made the plants:

Translucent cello tape folded over very thin pieces of wire (I didn't have green wire but I coloured it afterwards with sharpie marker).

Colour with sharpie marker.

Cut out and edged with liquid paper.

And here they all are glued into a bead with E-6000. I sprinkled old coffee grounds over the surface of the glue to look like potting soil. Glue the wires in place and when they are dry, bend the leaves into natural looking shapes with a pair of long-nosed tweezers.

The pothos was made with glue coated embroidery thread and paper leaves.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018 11:03:11 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018 06:37:13 AM »

FABBBBBBUUUUUUU!!!!!  Totally rocking it there!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018 07:09:32 AM »

Whoa.  That's awesome!  Love seeing all the new little details that pop out every time you look.
Rocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018 07:17:29 AM »

Thank you! I'd have a hard time choosing a favourite thing about the room but I was especially pleased with how the knitting basket turned out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018 07:29:14 AM »

Beautiful!  Excellent work.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018 07:29:43 AM »

Wow, just wow.  All the little details are fabulous.  I think my favorite is the kittie, she's so cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018 07:33:37 AM »

Thank you so much Smiley. I think it took around 40 hours hands-on so I am very glad all the elements turned out close to how I imagined them. It was fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeaG

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018 07:56:46 AM »

Amazing!
You really mastered it.
I love all the little details.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018 08:38:28 AM »

WOW! ZERS! This is amazing! So many great wee details!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 71
steiconi

Opa!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018 09:05:41 AM »

Marvelously minuscule!
Lovely job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Golden Apple Cornbread
@Home This Weekend: Woodburning
Tute Tuesday: Tiny Haunted House

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...