A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is super awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 321,159
Currently Running With Scissors:
221 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Marshmallow Cake  (Read 459 times)
Tags for this thread: smores , birthday , recipe , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 22, 2018 12:42:19 PM »

My 12 year old Slytherin girl is an exceptionally picky eater.  She won't really eat cake, won't eat ice cream unless it is homemade vanilla.  She lives on bread and cereal.  I've actually had to say, "No, you can't make brownies, you didn't eat dinner.  You only ate twelve rolls for lunch!" and then laughed for five minutes when I realized what I said.  That story being said, she wouldn't want cake and ice cream for her birthday party.  For her last bday party I made her a giant Reece's Peanut Butter Cup which she adored.  This year her friend party was a bonfire with smores.  She made a side comment, "I want a candle on a marshmallow.  That can be my birthday cake."  But that stuck with me and I saw in my head this whole round marshmallow tier for a cake.  Then as I was developing it in my head I decided it needed a graham base and chocolate layer.  Thus, Marshmallow Cake was born!

No pic of the graham layer, but here's the ganache.  I used three small spring form pans.  One larger for her cake and a taster for me.  Then there was still enough graham leftover for another tester.

My food torch ran out of fuel before a full toasted effect could take, but here's cut through.  Family said it needed more chocolate.  I can do it that way next time, but I was going for Marshmallow Cake, not necessarily Smore's Cake this time.

OMG it was so good.  But so very rich and sweet.

Graham Crust

1 tsp butter, for pan
10 rectangles of graham crackers
6 TBSP melted butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 350*.  Use 1 tsp butter and coat the inside of a spring form pan.  Crush graham rectangles into crumbs either with food processor, or placed in a ziptop bag and hit with a rolling pin.  Add melted butter and sugar and mix until wet sand consistency.
Press mixture into springform pan.  Bake for 8 minutes and cool.

Ganache

1 c. heavy cream
1 1/3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 TBSP honey
Pour cream, chocolate, and honey in an oven-proof bowl.  Place in microwave for 30 seconds and then stir.  Keep heating and stirring in the microwave on 30 second bursts until chocolate is mostly melted.  When mostly melted, keep stirring until mixture is smooth, letting the residual heat melt the last of the chips.
Pour over graham crust in your spring form pan, until as thick as you want your chocolate layer.  If you have any extra, place in a ziptop bag in the fridge.  You may want to remelt leftovers in the microwave at cake serving time and drizzle over the top of your slice.  

Marshmallow

1/2 cup water
3 - 1/4 ounce envelopes unflavored gelatin

2 cups granulated white sugar
1/2 cup cold water
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 TBSP vanilla extract
about 1/4 cup powdered sugar

Soften gelatin with cup water in bowl of stand mixer.

In a medium saucepan put 2 cups sugar, cup water, 1 cup corn syrup, and tsp salt.  Bring to a boil at medium to medium high, stirring.  When boiling, place saucepan lid on top for two minutes to let condensation wash down the sides.  Remove lid after two minutes and clip in candy thermometer.  Allow to reach 240* without stirring this time.

Start mixer on low speed, slowly pour in hot syrup into softened gelatin.  Gradually increase speed to high, beating for 8-12 minutes until bowl is softly warm to the touch and mixture is bright, shiny, and thick.

Stop mixer and add vanilla.  Beat again until mixed, about 15 seconds.  Spatula out sticky mixture into springform pan.  Try to smooth top as best you can.  Sift a light layer of powdered sugar on the top.  Let set for 8 hours or overnight on the counter.

Release spring form pan.  Tap or softly sweep off extra powdered sugar from top, and serve.  For an easier cut, set a knife in hot water for a minute and then dry completely.  Let the heat slice through the mallow layer.

You may top with a drizzle of extra ganache if you have any leftover.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018 08:24:43 PM by patty_o_furniture » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018 03:13:19 PM »

Ohhh, this looks amazing! I don't know anybody who doesn't love marshmallows. I'm making this for sure, thanks for the recipe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM IN NEED OF GIRAFFE ITEMS!
70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th this December, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018 06:38:22 AM »

Looks delicious!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018 07:39:05 AM »

This sounds flippin' AMAZING! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom

I own too many beads!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018 07:49:43 AM »

Looks yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SiFi Mom, aka Nancy
Crafting is my mental therapy!
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018 09:57:05 AM »

That looks like absolute heaven!  and thanks for the recipe

FYI-There's an old Irish proverb* that says, "If you eat standing up the calories don't count!"

*I'm old and I'm Irish so that's where the saying comes from Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018 08:18:38 PM »

Gathering supplies to make it... let set 8 hrs on the counter or in the fridge?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM IN NEED OF GIRAFFE ITEMS!
70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th this December, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018 08:20:49 PM »

Counter.

Good question!  I'll update the instructions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

Sparklers aren't toothpaste!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018 12:31:03 PM »

Wonderful looking cake that I'm sure was absolutely delicious!  I was a super picky eater as a child too (and, um, I still am), so, I can sympathize with what you're going through with your daughter, but, props to you for going out of your way to make something special to tempt her taste buds.

@bethnin:  I'm not Irish at all, but I typically do eat standing up and I also constantly pace around the house, room-to-room, while I'm doing it (and, yes, that drives other people nuts), so I probably do burn a fair amount of calories while I'm eating.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018 06:55:11 PM »

This is my kind of cake!!! I LOVE marshmallows
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over
Meatless Monday: Summer Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...