A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
250 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt Block Pattern Recommendations  (Read 264 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 22, 2018 09:49:12 AM »

Hi everyone! So, I'm very much not new to sewing, and I'm confident that my skills will translate, and I've done some basic quilt-like things, like pinwheel potholders and such, but I've really never made a quilt. To be honest, I'm not sure I will be able to make the WHOLE quilt. But I bought some fabric yesterday, and well, I need block recommendations for a new quilter.

See, periodically I take advantage of good sales at Fabric Mart, and a while back they had precut "kits" that came with fabric and a pattern. This one is 1 3/4yd of the dark batik and 5/8yd of the lighter one, plus the pattern, for $3.

The pattern itself is quite interesting, and retailed for $19, but I like it in the drapey linen much better than the more structured batik. But the batik was beautiful colors, and all in all, it seemed like a no-brainer. Then I watched a bunch of videos featuring Edyta Sitar... Dangerous! So, I went to the fabric store yesterday with a 30% off total purchase of Keepsake Calicos fabrics (reg and sale priced) and the two batiks, and this happened:

Actually, all of them are Keepsake Calicos, the Keepsake Calicos were also on sale 40% off, AND the yellow tonal is the only one I got off the non-clearance rack. Everything else came from the dotted clearance rack at Joanns and were 50% off. As a result of how I bargain shop, I know these are somewhat disparate patterns. And I know that there isn't a really balanced mix of dark/light or large/small... I probably need to pick a solid or solid-like background fabric. The gray-background floral might be a binding or backing fabric... I bought the most of it. Plus, although the overall pattern on that one is fairly large-scale, used in small pieces for a quilt, it would work as a medium-sized print. But the thing is, I really just thought they all looked beautiful together somehow, even though they were all so all over the place as far as print-theme and etc. I know there are formulas out there for how to balance types and colors of print, and I'm dead sure I broke all the rules, but it's just pretty, is all. (Plus, I then stopped at the Goodwill before heading home, and found a new-in-package cotton blend full-sized quilt batting for $4. So I took that as a sign.)

So, really, I am just wondering if there are certain block patterns that would lend themselves better to me being careless with my pattern mixing. And possibly advice on maybe a final fabric or two to add in to balance it out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes I post at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin! Actually, really, find me almost everywhere as Lothruin!
donniesgirl
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018 09:29:35 PM »

I think they're beautiful fabrics and I think they'll go nicely together but I have no qualms about mixing patterns.   Grin. If you're nervous about it, though, maybe do something with a lot of white or another solid in it to break it up.  One block that I think lends itself to bright colors is the Garden Fence Quilt block.  Or check out some of the patterns on Gen X Quilters Block Library.  If it's your first quilt, though, I'd recommend something that is not paper piecing.  From one experienced sewer to another.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting cotton Hawaiian fabric scraps for a quilt if you wanted to send any my way!
http://www.pinterest.com/donniesgirrl
BigBangMomma
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Living the @Lynx2Lancer life on Instagram!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019 05:22:10 AM »

If you like stars, search for Wonky Star quilt blocks. These can be made in any size. There really is no way to mess them up, because THEY ARE WONKY!!!!! Smiley And, they are really fun.  I agree with donniesgirl. Paper piecing is not for beginners. It's not really that hard to do, but it takes a bit to get the hang of. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Little Visitor Swap Rd 29: Mr. Sparkles is travelling to Scotland!
2019 Make-A-Friend Revival: Organizing!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Welcome Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...