A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 314,798
Currently Running With Scissors:
400 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Upsizing Recons  (Read 834 times)
Tags for this thread: reconstructed , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

gala_apples
« on: July 12, 2018 04:54:52 PM »

I have a lot of shirts that don't quite fit, that were bought for souveniers, or given to me as presents. They mean too much to donate, but I can't actually wear them. So I decided to figure out how to make my perfectly drafted raglan shirt pattern work with them.

Attempt One: I decided to go easy on myself for my first try. I used an old shirt of my mom's, something I'd be happy to wear if it worked, but not upset if I wrecked it. I had a hell of a time folding the shirt exactly in half to fit the pattern.

You can't really see it in the pic, but I used red fabric for the back.

Attempt Two: I love Clockwork Orange, I have a large collection of artwork of it. When I was in London a few years ago, first at a convention and then with a close fandom friend's house, we wound up at Camden Market, and I saw a CO shirt. I had to get it, even though it was only a 1xl.

For this one, to make life easier I made pattern pieces that were full sized instead of 'place on fold'. I used the back of the shirt to add stripes to the front, for width. The seams aren't very noticeable.

Attempt Three: The Fringe Festival is the most important event of my year. Well, that and Christmas. Every year they make a new shirt based on the year's advertising theme, but I've never bought one before, figuring that if I buy one, I'll want to buy one every year, and that's not feasible. But in 2017 they were selling all previous years left over stock for 5 bucks, and they happened to have one of my favourite campaign, the "we like to watch" campaign. I figure it's applicable to any year I attend from now til the day I die.  Grin

Thing is, the only size they had left was small. Not only was it MUCH too small widthwise, it was also too short for my pattern. So for this one I made many patchwork pieces.

I'm definitely going to keep on reconning, I have at least five or six more shirts that are too small.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not attached to your world, nothing heals, nothing grows... we used to love ourselves, we used to love one another.

life is no cabaret- we don't care what you say, we're inviting you anyway, you mf'ers, you'll sing someday!
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018 06:51:17 PM »

HOLY CATS! This is a brilliant save of your faves! There are several tutorials for enlarging a tee around the internet, but they pretty much all look exactly like that's what they are, but yours look like deliberate and creative style choices that are actually way cooler then just a regular tee shirt. Bravo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 77
Jasper_Jasley
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018 09:15:56 PM »

you are so hella talented. These shirts look like a style you'd buy places and not something pieced together. continue being awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gozer

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018 05:17:26 AM »

I am absolutely in love with these shirts. Adore the CO one! I like the fabrics you chose to go with each. I'm trying to learn how to sew clothes currently. Knits intimidate the heck out of me. Your shirts look amazing!
 I recently went thru my clothes and packed up a bunch of shirt so send to Goodwill. I kept three that were too small but I couldn't part with. I had no idea what I was going to do with them, just that I wanted to keep them. Once I get brave enough to sew knits I will have to recon them like you did! Thanks for the inspiration!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Witty_Child

I do hope that's all, you witty child.

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018 05:55:16 AM »

I especially love the fabrics you used on the last one - and Fringe will never have a better tagline!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018 07:20:19 AM »

Good job!!!!  Would you be willing to share how you did that?  I have a bunch of old concert shirts that I would love to wear again... but my form is a bit more robust than it used to be.... afterall, this is not the same body I had when I was 18!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

curiousfae

mecca-lecca-hi mecca-hiney-ho!

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018 08:13:08 AM »

Good job!!!!  Would you be willing to share how you did that?  I have a bunch of old concert shirts that I would love to wear again... but my form is a bit more robust than it used to be.... afterall, this is not the same body I had when I was 18!

yes please!

great job on your recons. i really like the fringe one with all the patchwork. so you are telling me that I could actually buy that cool t-shirt when all they have is a small left and make something cool out of it?! i'm sold. plus i just cleaned out my closet and stashed away some old (but beloved) tee's to do something with later. this would be perfect!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018 08:13:32 AM by curiousfae » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018 07:30:47 AM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018 10:16:43 AM »

Your new shirts are better than the originals. You've done a professional quality job, and they are so much more stylish than before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gala_apples
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018 08:04:13 PM »

Ugh, you guys are all so nice! Thanks for all the complimentary words!

The next time I make a new one, I'll try to remember to make a tutorial for it. I actually bought a few 'new' shirts at Value Village recently, so I have some more to make  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not attached to your world, nothing heals, nothing grows... we used to love ourselves, we used to love one another.

life is no cabaret- we don't care what you say, we're inviting you anyway, you mf'ers, you'll sing someday!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cupcake Bath Bombs
Rainy Days
Meatless Monday: Semlor aka Swedish Cream Buns

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...