A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Want to join a Craft swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 314,689
Currently Running With Scissors:
254 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Poll
Question: What's your favorite entry in Craft Challenge #124, Craftster Rocks?  (Voting closed: August 21, 2018 07:11:04 AM)
a few random doodle rocks - 2 (4.8%)
A rock that looks like....a rock! - 2 (4.8%)
Adara the Fire Dragon - 2 (4.8%)
Free Hugs - 0 (0%)
Froggy - 1 (2.4%)
Longing For Fall - CraftsterRocks Challenge - 1 (2.4%)
Mandala Stone Smiley - 9 (21.4%)
Peter Max Rock - 0 (0%)
Positivity Rocks! - 5 (11.9%)
Rock my skull - 2 (4.8%)
Space Rocks! - 8 (19%)
Starry Night Stone - 7 (16.7%)
Stop to smell the rocks! - 2 (4.8%)
Superhero-themed rocks - 1 (2.4%)
Total Voters: 42

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craft Challenge #124 - Craftster Rocks! - Entries Due Aug 1 - 8 - BONUS PRIZE!  (Read 6749 times)
Tags for this thread: craftsterrocks  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2018 12:54:52 PM »

Craft Challenge #124 - Craftster Rocks! - Entries Due August 1 - 8

Administrator Comment
This challenge is completed!  Click here to view all of the Craft Challenge #124 entries! Smiley

Have you ever been the recipient of a RAOK (random act of kindness), or perhaps stumbled upon a painted rock along your journeys?  Didn't that one little moment just feel amazing?  Let's spread more of those moments!  This month, we are rockin' it out Cheesy and challenging YOU to paint and hide a rock!  We're going to be spreading creativity and joy all throughout our communities and travels. Kiss

The challenge is simple, really!  Find a rock.  Paint it.  Label it with #CraftsterRocks.  Hide it. Cheesy  If you create a set of [obviously] themed rocks, you may enter the entire set as one entry.  The minimum requirement is just to paint and hide one rock, though! Smiley  Your entry must contain a photo of your painted rock.  If you want, you can include in progress photos or even a photo where you've hidden it, too!

Here are some basic guidelines and best practices for rock painting:

1. Always be mindful of the environment and respectful of the community guidelines that already exist.
2. Seal each rock thoroughly.  Do not add or attach anything other than a securely-adhered label, as trinkets and attachments can pose littering and choking risks for animals.  Many use Mod Podge for attaching the labels to the back, followed by spray sealing the entire rock with at least two coats.
3. Do not hide rocks in national parks, state parks, or on private property.
4. Craftster, Pinterest and Facebook are great places to find inspiration for colorful creations and creative messages.

Printable Labels
We've created some printable sheets of itty bitty labels, if you need one for the bottom of your rock.  You can always just paint or use paint marker on the bottom of your rock instead of attaching a label, too.  Totally up to you!  These PDFs print on standard 8.5x11 printer paper.  Print which size you need, cut out a label and attach it to your rock.  Most people use Mod Podge or craft glue to adhere it prior to sealing the entire rock.

Facebook Group (optional fun!)
Sometimes when people find rocks "out in the wild," they take a photo and share it on Facebook with the rock's hashtag or group.  If you want to join a group for #craftsterrocks, we've just created it here!  Craftster Rocks #craftsterrocks group on Facebook.  Just request to join and myself, kittykill or rackycoo will get you added! Smiley

Rules:
  • Craft your project during this challenge period (July 2 - August 8, 2018) only.  Projects created before this timeframe will be excluded from the voting poll.
  • Each participant can enter ONE project (Although your entry can have multiple components to it).
  • Post your craft during the period of August 1 - August 8 2018. No sooner.  No later.  On August 2, there will be a special folder created for entries.  We will reply with the folder/board link here on this thread.
  • Voting will happen from August 13 - 20 2018.
  • The winner will be officially announced on our first business Monday of the next month, in our monthly newsletter, on this thread, and on the Craftster blog!  We will contact you via Private Message, after the announcement, to get your prize package information.
  • If cheating of any sort is discovered, the applicable entry and votes will be disqualified.

Originality:
It's probably impossible to know whether your project is 100% original, has never been posted on Craftster or made by anyone else in the past.  But if your project was definitely inspired by something you've seen before, please give credit to that project.

Prizes:
Bonus Prize This Month!
At the end, we'll set up a poll right here and the first place winner will get...
(1) their project in the Featured Projects area
(2) their project in the Craftster Blog
(3) this Craftster prize (winner can receive prize in U.S. or non-U.S.):  Their choice of any one item from one of Craftster's online shops!

(4) This month's bonus prize is a set of permanent metallic markers!  Water-based, quick-dry, acid-free and non-toxic ink.  They're perfect for painting rocks, art mugs, designing ATCs, scrapbooking and more.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018 11:33:04 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
LadybugsAndBumblebees

I'm so squishy!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018 02:04:50 PM »

I love this craft challenge!  I have a black rock that someone painted that I love!  What do you use to paint the rocks with?  Do you clean them at all before you decorate them?

This idea is great to spread the word about Craftster!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018 02:11:33 PM by LadybugsAndBumblebees » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl
ETSY SHOP:  LadybuggirlCrafts.etsy.com
Personal & etsy Instagram:  http://instagram.com/ladybggrl/

Too blessed to be stressed! Smiley
sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018 02:23:56 PM »

So I just found a rock in my stash a few days ago and put it aside to craft with....so this was meant to be  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018 03:17:49 PM »

What a fun idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

I'm so squishy!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018 04:22:02 PM »

Ok, so I went to one of my local beaches to get some rocks.  They were too tiny.  If clam shells could be used for this, I would be in luck!  So I went in my backyard and had more luck-the idiot landlord tore it up and all the bigger rocks were unearthed.

I couldn't wait to get started so I have already rinsed them and have them sitting in a bowl of water with dishwashing detergent.  I'll rinse and boil them and then start to paint!

BTW...Michaels has a set of paint markers for only $8!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl
ETSY SHOP:  LadybuggirlCrafts.etsy.com
Personal & etsy Instagram:  http://instagram.com/ladybggrl/

Too blessed to be stressed! Smiley
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018 06:27:00 PM »

This will be fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!

I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art..."  Vladimir Nabok
lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018 07:12:23 PM »

This looks like so much fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmyLynn98
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018 07:25:32 PM »

Fun! I have a ton of rocks in my front yard from the beach so they're nice and smooth...perfect for painting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My zombie gnome was a 2013 Featured Project, my KISS gnomes were an Aug. '14 Featured Project, my TARDIS was a Feb. '16 Featured Project, and my Grinch was a Nov. '16 Featured Project. Thanks for voting for them.
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018 06:19:33 AM »

Cool! I too have a yard full of rocks. We've been moving them from the back yard to the front, I'm sure I can find a few nice ones to spare for crafting Smiley.

I have acrylic paints and a krylon crystal spray on glaze but the paint nearly always gets smudgy. Those are the things to use according to rock painting sites though, any idea what I'm doing wrong?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
bethntim
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018 07:18:07 AM »

This is fantastic!  My city also has a hashtag #ApopkaRocks that we use for our rocks around the city and post pics when one is found, are we allowed to use both hashtags?  I'd love to see who finds my rock and see their pics
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Plastic Bottle Lanterns
October 17, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Magic Wands

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...