A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,581
Currently Running With Scissors:
312 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Some cool Japanese dolls and a dollhouse on display at one of my local libraries  (Read 514 times)
Tags for this thread: japanese , dollhouse , tanuki , samurai , kabuki , library , doll  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Patraw

C'mon, pegasister, quit foaling around!

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2018 07:27:07 AM »

This seemed like the best place to post this, and, some of these are hand-crafted items, just not crafted by me. Tongue  Here are the photos I took of the Japanese dolls/figurines and the American dollhouse at the Peter White Public Library in Marquette, Michigan yesterday morning.  If I worked at this library, I would totally decorate the place the same way.  Grin

My photo angles on the dolls aren't the best, but, I'm only 5'9", and most of the dolls were up on the top of bookcases, so, short of lugging around a chair with me and standing on that, there wasn't much I could do but stand up on my tippy-toes.

A samurai armor display (not life-sized):

My mind is rusty about the myth, but I believe that this is the boat that the seven luck gods (only one of which is female) sail around in.

This is a Tanuki, mythical mischievous raccoon-dogs.   They're also known for their gigantic scrotums/testicles (which they sometimes paddle like drums!)

to change your image viewing settings please click here

The two smaller red figures are Darumas--you're supposed to make a wish, fill in the pupil of one of the eyes, and then, if your wish comes true, you fill in the other.  I saw a much larger one of those in a thrift store a few months ago, and almost bought it, but only one of its eyes was colored in, which told me that the previous owner's wish never came true, which was depressing to me.  

The wooden doll is a Kokeshi.  One of the stories about these is that they represent dead children--in olden times, when things were tough, proponents of this theory believe that parents would kill one of their children so that their other starving children would have more food, and they made the kokeshi to remind them of that lost child.  Personally, I don't believe that at all, as most parents would rather die themselves than sacrifice their child.  Speaking of which, one of my friends in college, Sarah, broke down into tears, during a creative writing class we were taking together, when another one of our female classmates was making some rather heartless comments/judgements about poor people.  Sarah told the class that she had been poor in her younger days, and even though she was working at the time, couldn't afford to feed herself and her children, so she starved herself, losing a dangerous amount of weight, so that they could eat, and eventually had to give them all up for adoption because she simply couldn't provide a quality life for them.  Anyway, my point is, that's what I believe most parents would do if they were in that situation, not sacrifice one to have more food for the others.  I don't have any children, but, if I did, I'd stop eating so that they could too.

The dollhouse had glass over all the rooms, so nobody (like me) can mess with the contents, thus, some glare from my camera's flash was unavoidable (it was kind of dim on that staircase landing too, and by its nature, unless it's internally lit, which this one wasn't, a dollhouse is always going to be full of shadows, so, turning the flash off wasn't really an option either).

The dollhouse had rooms in both the front and back, but, unfortunately, the structure was displayed right up against the 2nd floor stairway railing of the library, so, I couldn't really get any good shots of the other side of the house without risking falling and plummeting down to the floor below and breaking some bones (I had to lean way out, over the stairway railing, just to get this shot, which wasn't the safest thing to do either.)  I particularly wanted to get a better look at the third floor attic up there, which looks like it's probably a children's playroom/bedroom.

And these aren't really toys, but they were too cool not to photograph (and I can guarantee you children would try to ride the back of that life-size larger tortoise!)  These were located in the front yard of a acne-treatment business (probably a homeopathic affair) located on the street corner just down from the library.  I love the little hat on the head of the big one, but, it's sad that the turtles have to be chained to the ground to keep people from stealing them though . . .

And this is a geisha holding a samurai helmet from my doll collection, not the library, but it's the only one I have that's similar in style/design to the ones they have on display at the library:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018 08:44:47 AM by Patraw - Reason: added more pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018 11:01:36 AM »

That must have been so cool to look at up close and in person, all the deeeettaaaiiill!
And also, ha ha Cheesy! Bongos Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PLEASE MESSAGE ME YOUR CONTACT INFO!!!!!!!!

Craftster member 2006-2020 #CraftsterFriendsForver #craftyfriendsforever

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
noelle
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018 11:31:22 AM »

Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...