A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
183 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A girl I used to know  (Read 1290 times)
Tags for this thread: woman , portrait , drawing  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Patraw

I make all of my dough by at yeast leaven o'clock!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018 07:33:18 AM »

I haven't heard back from Jeannette yet, but, using one of her semi-recent photos on Facebook as a still-life model, I decided to try drawing a younger version of her to see how that would look to me (again, done with ink, permanent marker, and graphite pencil). However, I pretty much failed. While it's not a horrible drawing, I also don't know who this is supposed to be. It certainly doesn't look like Jeannette, it's not the teenage girl I remember either, and I don't think it's anybody I know or have ever known--she's just some random 90s young woman I guess.

And this is sort of a Japanese manga-ish take on the mystery girl (ink, graphite/colored pencil, and permanent marker). I was just messing around here, but that's definitely the look that dream women give me when they have to share their imaginary clothing with me. Okay, not really, she was smiling and happy in my dream.

On a side note, I don't know what my unconscious brain's current fixation with clothes is about, but, I had another dream about garments (no women involved this time) Saturday morning. I dreamt that I had somehow contracted a strange disease where I had to change my clothes every 30 minutes or unspecified bad things would happen to me. Well, I stuck to my doctor's advice, rotating my wardrobe every half an hour, until I got sick of that routine and just said the hell with it (which is probably exactly what would happen if I had to do that in real life) and left the same clothes on for hours . . . and nothing happened. Dream doctors are quacks.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018 05:21:00 AM »

I agree they don't look alike aside from the hair.
In a dream like that I would have ended up going naked, haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mountains and Clouds
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018 12:41:31 PM »

Ahhhhhh!! I hope there is soon more to the story!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Patraw

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018 01:06:15 PM »

Nothing much new to add I'm afraid.  I stopped off at yet another library, in another city, after my appointment with the neurologist this morning, to look through their early-to-mid 90s high school yearbooks collection, and, while I found photos of a few young ladies from that time period that looked something like her, nothing concrete (I was hoping to find a photo of Jeannette in particular, because I'm pretty sure that's the city where the mystery girl lived while we were in school together, but no such luck).  Looking at hundreds of yearbook photos makes your brain feel like it's melting after a while too . . .  Tongue

On the upside, said library had a really nice collection of Japanese dolls (they're sister cities with a town in Japan, so they have a quite a display) and a beautiful gigantic doll house that I took photos of (still on my digital camera's memory card at home though, so, I can't share any at the moment).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Patraw

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018 11:05:29 AM »

Jeannette finally got back to me on Facebook Messenger a few minutes ago, and, nope, she told me that wasn't her.  Sad

Thus far, out of the hundreds of images I've examined, I feel that these three yearbook photos are the best matches to the girl I remember (only Seniors get color photography in school yearbooks from that era).  Clockwise from the top left, they're Marie, Linda, and Shannon.  If you pointed a gun to my head, I'd likely select Shannon as the right one, but, if I could combine them all together into a single woman, that'd probably be an even better match.  The name Shannon also feels like a better fit to me, but I've known several Shannons over the course of my life (including a member here at Craftster Tongue), so that doesn't necessarily mean anything either.

I think I'm just going to give up now anyway as the whole thing was kind of silly to begin with.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018 06:52:14 AM »

I don't know, I thought it was fun & interesting.
Maybe you'll bump into each other somehow, someday. You never know...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FoxyBlue

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018 12:38:18 PM »

Love this, too. The story and the art. Just awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

follow me on Instagram  @delightfully.deedra
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
June 20, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Shea Butter Sugar Scrub
Fancy a Cuppa?

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...