A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 321,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
198 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Icing Stripes/Swirls  (Read 688 times)
Tags for this thread: cupcake , icing , cake_decorating , recipe , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

redheadedblonde

Now we're in Gumby; I'm gonna walk through a book.

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2018 01:49:54 PM »

I've been working on upping my cupcake game for a while.  Truthfully, I'm not a fan of most cupcakes because they are overly topped with super sweet, cloying American buttercream (but I'm a fan once I scrape most of it off!). Smiley  But man, they sure do look pretty with those swirls.  I've started using ermine buttercream in addition to my favorite swiss buttercream because one of my kiddos has a classmate with an egg allergy.  Cupcakes with those frostings are never overly frosted to me.  Grin (Both recipes below--though both cupcakes below used ermine.)

IMG_6077 by Donna Flores, on Flickr

To make super-saturated frosting without having to dye a ton of batches different colors for a rainbow effect, I turned to using dye directly on plastic as frosting "plugs" or "bullets."  Basically, you lay out a sheet of plastic wrap and paint a line of gel dye down the side.  Plop some frosting in the middle, wrap it up in the plastic sheet, and twist the edges shut.  Use the plug in your icing bag directly.  I have never had luck pulling the twisted edge through the piping tip and trimming it that way--I have to trim off the twisted edge before I put it in the bag, but ymmv.

IMG_6083 by Donna Flores, on Flickr

Here's an idea of the painted gel stripes and a softer rainbow stripe after the gel colorant begins to deplete as you frost.

IMG_6074 by Donna Flores, on Flickr

I also recently acquired the Wilton Color Swirl coupler--and I love it.  My boys and I tinted icing three different shades - packed up three different bags and then put them all in one bag with the coupler.  It made a perfect swirl with all three shades and was super simple.  

IMG_0091 by Donna Flores, on Flickr
closeup by Donna Flores, on Flickr
IMG_0098 by Donna Flores, on Flickr
IMG_0105 by Donna Flores, on Flickr

Adorable children in the background eating popsicles while I frost cupcakes because why not have 8 tons of sugar.....check.

My swiss buttercream recipe:
3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (slightly soft, but still cold)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
a big pinch salt (if using salted butter, omit)

Whisk egg whites and sugar in double boiler until sugar is totally dissolved  (I just cook it in my mixer bowl for ease).  I cook mine to 160 F just to make sure it will be safe for those with compromised immune systems to eat. Let it cool off heat for a few minutes, whisking occasionally.  Then whisk with mixer until stiff peaks form.  Drop in the butter, a few tablespoons at a time, while still constantly whisking.  Allow the butter to mix in fully before adding another piece.  If you're lucky, an amazingly delicious buttercream will emerge.  If, like me, you never allow the meringue to cool enough, you'll end up with an amazingly delicious butter soup.  Don't worry.   Just pop the bowl in the fridge for 15 minutes and try to whisk again.  Keep up the chilling/whisking till it's a light-textured frosting.  Use as desired.  Makes enough to decently frost a 9x13/double layer 9 in cake/2 dozen cupcakes.  I'd say about 15 cupcakes with generous swirls.

My ermine frosting recipe is really the NY Times recipe Smiley
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016330-ermine-icing
INGREDIENTS
5  tablespoons/40 grams flour
1  cup/235 milliliters whole milk
1 cup granulated sugar
1  teaspoon/5 milliliters vanilla extract
 Pinch of salt
1  cup/ 230 grams unsalted butter, softened

PREPARATION
Over medium heat, whisk flour and milk in a small saucepan and heat to a simmer, stirring frequently until it becomes very thick and almost puddinglike.
Remove from heat, whisk in vanilla and salt. Pour into a bowl to allow it to cool completely. Put plastic wrap on the surface to keep a skin from forming.
Use a mixer to cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on medium, add the cooled flour mixture a little bit at a time. Continue to beat until the mixture becomes light and fluffy and resembles whipped cream.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018 08:27:22 AM by redheadedblonde » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018 02:20:52 PM »

Those look amazing! Thanks for the frosting recipes! My mom was just telling me of the joys of cooked frosting. I may have to try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018 05:28:39 AM »

Very pretty!  Thanks for sharing your technique.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Witty_Child

I do hope that's all, you witty child.

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018 05:50:01 AM »

Those are gorgeous!  I would consider your game upped!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

Jkl/z.?UCIO[;Tvadd!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018 07:37:16 AM »

Great-looking colorful cupcake swirls!  I'd never heard of coupling three bags of frosting together like that, but I can easily see how that works now from your photos and that's mighty neat.

I seldom make cupcakes (I mostly just make microwave mug cakes these days), but, when I do, I'm super lazy and unimaginative and just spread one frosting color on top with a butter knife.  Roll Eyes  The most adventurous I ever get is putting some sprinkles/candy on top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018 09:25:03 AM »

I would eat those! They look lovely, delicate and tasty. Mmm, now I am craving sugar...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM IN NEED OF GIRAFFE ITEMS!
70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th this December, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
gozer

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018 10:13:23 AM »

They all look fantastic and it's awesome that you make them without eggs so the student with allergies could par take. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018 10:55:24 AM »

These look fantastic!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018 02:16:31 PM »

Oooh my goodness, these are splendid!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018 01:27:45 PM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Happy Hobbit Day!
@Home This Weekend: Garden Painting
September 19, 2018 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...