A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 314,113
Currently Running With Scissors:
178 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Voice of the Tempest Reliquary  (Read 347 times)
Tags for this thread: reliquary  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

appledainty
« on: May 25, 2018 05:52:51 PM »

Deeeeeep breath, ya'll. I finally finished my first Vox Machina reliquary project - The Voice of the Tempest Reliquary. Cheesy

I'm a huge fan of Critical Role, so after campaign one ended I decided that I would make reliquaries for each member of the party. I started with Keyleth, ie The Voice of the Tempest.

I knew I wanted to feature tsumami craft (of course?) and do a portrait of each character with their relic, but it kind of grew into needing a case for transport, and then a scroll of authenticity. I'm going to start with the kanzashi comb.

With kanzashi projects, I occasionally do sketches to flesh out an idea - but more often than not I will make a kanzashi without any concrete concept. I pick a flower or theme and start making. I just take breaks and pick at things until it feels whole. While I did have a few sketches for this project to start with, they were more for the portrait than the kanzashi.

This portrait also took on a bit of a life of its own. I consider myself to be a much stronger with black and white than with color, so working in my comfort zone of crowquill with deleter black #3 ink was an easy choice. But, I went through several concept sketches before settling on this one. I joke that it looks more like The Raven ft. The Voice of the Tempest than a portrait of Keyleth, but I pumped Keyleth up a little with spot colors before giving the portrait and all its accoutrements to Matt Mercer at Otafest last weekend.

I also made a case for the comb so that it could be safely transported.

The case started life as a rather cheap balsa wood and plexiglass buy from Michaels, and after several hours of carefully scraping away excess glue, sanding, and staining it ended up not looking terrible. I also lined the back panel with vintage silk velvet, and added an embroidered strap to hold the comb upright. The embroidery is snow drops and an air symbol (center) from Avatar the Last Airbender, which inspired Keyleth's back story.

The back of the box features a goldfish and the phrase "It's fine, we're gods" which Keyleth uttered just before swan diving off a very high cliff, realizing she was going to land on rocks, and morphing into a goldfish instead of...something that can fly? Her friends brought her back, of course, but RIP goldfish.

I drew the goldfish as well, then cut it with my Curio from gold foil vinyl sticker sheet. I think it turned out well. Smiley

The last part is the Scroll of Authenticity. I aged a piece of deckle edged calligraphy parchment with coffee and salt, wrote out a letter with a crowquill pen (traced using my lightbox because my hand's not the steadiest at fancy calligraphy), and added a Seamstresses' Guild logo (aye, a Terry Pratchett reference) and wax seal that represents my personal D&D Character, Ellie Moon (it's a moon with the initials EM).

I also made a simple care card that explains how to keep the kanzashi safe and sound, but didn't photograph it. It's just text on card stock.

And I wrote an even longer (and possibly more boring) blog post about this project and all its details, which can be found here: http://www.appledainty.com/projects-by-discipline/tsumami-zaiku/the-voice-of-the-tempest-reliquary/

As a little bonus, here's a progress shot from the portrait:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018 06:08:53 PM by appledainty » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TexasPurl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Friends don't let friends crochet drunk. :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018 04:00:20 AM »

Just WOW! I'm unfamiliar with the subject matter, but I've definitely just become a fan of your work. Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you be Blessed with health, wholeness, life, and love.

www.texaspurldesigns.com
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018 08:45:06 AM »

Beautiful work appledainty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018 10:26:12 AM »

I am also unfamiliar with the subject matter but that fails entirely to matter one bit. These are WONDERFUL! They must certainly have been received with awe. Amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018 07:42:12 AM »

This is beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018 07:54:14 AM »

Seriously gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018 01:39:49 PM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Flower Crown
Tiny House
Meatless Monday: Vegetarian Breakfast Taco

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...