A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,934
Currently Running With Scissors:
748 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Punk Red Riding Hood (Frankie Stein paint over/fix) -very pic heavy-  (Read 1489 times)
Tags for this thread: custom , doll , featured_project , monster_high  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
RedheadWithThread
Queen of Quirky, lover of all things cute and creepy

Proudly lets her freak flag fly

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 19, 2018 10:09:05 PM »

I was recently in the Nerd Games Swap and was partnered with the amazing gozer. I was so excited because she's AWESOME and I knew I would receive something amazing so I had to make her something equally great.
Like myself, gozer collects Monster High dolls and her favorite is Frankie Stein, the daughter of the Frankenstein monster. I can't blame her because Frankie is super cute.
I had an original release Frankie that I bought secondhand a while back to steal her shoes and belt for customs.
She's the one on the left:

But I couldn't bring myself to repaint her because I loved the original dolls' darker make-up so I was just going to change the color of her eyeshadow and give her some custom clothing.
Except that I had a mishap: when I used Goo Gone to remove the sticky gunk from her hair due to glue seepage/melted hair elastic, I got a bit of it on her face and when I wiped it off, it took off some of her factory paint! Shocked

Post accident:

Frankie was upset about it:

I was briefly upset then I told myself it'd be okay because I could easily fix her.
Well...maybe.
I had never tried to do a fix/touch-up/paint-over on a doll, only full repaints. I didn't know if I could emulate the original paint well enough for it to pass. But I knew I wouldn't know unless I tried so I gave it a go.
And I was pleasantly surprised with the results:

I changed the color of the eye shadow, as well as the shadows under her eyes, darkened her facial stitches, darkened her eyebrows, and gave her some subtle shading on her cheeks, corners of her mouth (in an attempt to give her a pouty look), and at the inner corners of her eyes (not as subtle):

Her crop top I made from a pattern that I hastily drew up because I couldn't find one I liked. I seem to have lost the pattern so I can't make another but Frankie's came out nicely the first try:

Her skirt was taken from a "Coffin Bean" Toralei that my sister gave me, as were her shoes. I made the leggings myself with the underwear/bikini/leggings pattern from Requiem Art Designs.

The shoes were cute but dull so I painted the details to make them pop (they were originally solid red):

Honestly, painting the shoes was the hardest part of this whole custom but it was so worth it because they look better that way.
I don't know if you can tell from the photos, but the spikes on one shoe are darker than the spikes on the other. It's really subtle but I did it as a nod to how Frankie dolls sometimes had mismatched shoes.

I know what you're thinking "If she's a modern Red Riding Hood, where's the hood?"
Well, she's a modern gal so instead of a traditional hooded cloak, she's got a hoodie:

The hoodie pattern is also from Requiem Art Designs and is the same as the one I used for my mini-me's Deadpool varsity jacket Smiley

ETA: I forgot this pic of one of her rhinestone earrings:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018 12:13:41 AM by RedheadWithThread » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018 05:18:25 AM »

I can't even tell her face is not factory, you did an amazing job painting her. Very tiny little work, I would need a microscope for this, ha ha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PLEASE MESSAGE ME YOUR CONTACT INFO!!!!!!!!

Craftster member 2006-2020 #CraftsterFriendsForver #craftyfriendsforever

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
RedheadWithThread

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018 01:55:45 PM »

Thanks Cheesy
I am very near-sighted and take my glasses off to work on repaints because I have to hold them super close anyway to be able to paint them properly. I was told to get a magnifier/lamp, and I may in the future, but for now, what I'm doing works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pottermouth
Crochet Moderator
Vintage Crafts Moderator

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018 02:31:13 PM »

Gee, I need to take my glasses off to see the finished results on my computer.  Cheesy  Amazing work on her new face and wardrobe. She looks much better that way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady4feet

^Sushi. My problem child.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018 06:19:42 PM »

Great save! Your "small" changes really pushed her over the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RedheadWithThread

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018 10:08:56 PM »

Thanks y'all Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gozer
If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018 06:07:41 AM »

I love her. She looks great in my collection. You did a fantastic job fixing her face. She looks amazing! Thank you so much! I love RRH and Monster High dolls!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patraw

C'mon, pegasister, quit foaling around!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018 08:39:29 AM »

Nice job on the altered face and new outfit!  It really is a shame that Mattel seldom paints all of the cool little details on their often-very-creative MH shoe sculpts.  Now Frankie can hang out with Cerise Hood from Ever After High!

I think the only Frankie Stein doll I have is the "Ghouls Alive" electronic one whose body lights up to show her bones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018 04:49:18 PM »

This is so awesome! You are on a roll.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RedheadWithThread

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018 07:23:57 PM »

Thanks Cheesy

It really is a shame that Mattel seldom paints all of the cool little details on their often-very-creative MH shoe sculpts.
I think the only Frankie Stein doll I have is the "Ghouls Alive" electronic one whose body lights up to show her bones.

When the doll line first started, they were a lot more detailed in the outfits and the shoes. The dolls were out only a couple years or a little longer when Mattel started getting lax with their detailing, especially on the shoes. They also started lightening/brightening the make-up/clothes because there were so many parents complaining about their daughters wanting such dark looking dolls. I don't know why they changed them to try to target those folks as I can almost guarantee those folks still didn't buy the dolls after the changes were made simply because the dolls were the children of horror movie icons.
I really wish I'd gotten myself a "Ghouls Alive" Frankie. Those are pretty cool. Or the Deuce Gorgon. He's way too expensive on eBay and the like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding
Thankful DIY

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...