A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 314,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
190 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Braised Beef Ribs  (Read 306 times)
Tags for this thread: dinner , recipe , dutch_oven  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

geekgirl1000100
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 16, 2018 05:09:24 AM »

I recently purchased a dutch oven and wanted to put it to good use.  I decided to make brasied beef short ribs.  I had never made ribs before.  I've only ever eaten them if someone else makes them.

The original recipe was a Pioneer Woman recipe and I made a few small edits, including doubling the recipe.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/braised-short-ribs-2716433

8 servings (or 4 if your friends eat like mine!)

salt and black pepper
8 beef short ribs - I had 16
1/4 cup all-purpose flour - omitted as one of the people I was making this for is gluten sensitive and I didn't think it was a necessary step.

6 thin slices bacon, diced - I used a whole pack
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 carrots, diced - even with doubling the recipe, 3 carrots was more than enough and next time I would cut them in larger chunks
2 shallots, finely minced
1 medium onion, diced - left out.  onions are gross!
Added several cloves of minced garlic
Splash of red wine - 1/2 a cup of a caberet savignon
4 cups beef broth (enough to almost cover the ribs) 8 cups
2 sprigs fresh thyme - 4-5 springs
2 sprigs fresh rosemary - 4-5 springs

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Salt and pepper the ribs, then dredge them in the flour. Set aside.
In a large Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until completely crispy and all the fat is rendered. Remove the bacon and set aside. Drain off any excess fat.
Add the olive oil to the pan with the bacon fat and raise the heat to high. Brown the ribs on all sides, about 45 seconds per side. Remove the ribs and set aside.
Lower the heat to medium. Add the carrots, shallots and onions (garlic) to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Splash in the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to release all the flavorful bits of glory. Add the broth, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper and bring to a boil. Taste and add more salt if needed. Add the ribs to the liquid; they should be almost completely submerged. Add the thyme and rosemary sprigs (whole) to the liquid. Finally, add the cooked bacon. (I didn't add the bacon back in.  I was afraid it would get soggy and I just saved the bacon for breakfast the next day).
Put on a lid and transfer to the oven. Cook until the ribs are fork-tender and falling off the bone, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.(My pan was so full it took more like 3 hours). Remove the pan from the oven and allow to sit for at least 20 minutes with the lid on before serving. At the last minute, skim the fat off the top of the liquid.

I then used cornstarch and thickened the broth up some.
I served with mashed potatoes.

(you can see my ugly scrap crocheted hotpad in this pic.  it was made from scrap leftovers of cotton yarn)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018 07:02:18 AM by geekgirl1000100 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018 06:18:11 AM »

Dinner at your house!!!

Looks yummy!  I like the changes you made...I am not wild about onions either in stews and such...but, adding the extra garlic probably made up for the nice flavors...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018 08:04:27 AM »

***drool***
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM IN NEED OF GIRAFFE ITEMS!
70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th this December, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018 08:10:02 AM »

Great use of the dutch oven! I only use mine to bake bread Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018 08:12:42 AM »

I have to try it for bread sometime. I have 2 which I use regularly for everything, they make great roasted chicken and veggies. We cook with them on the stove top too, rice, browning meats, etc etc. I love the dutchy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM IN NEED OF GIRAFFE ITEMS!
70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th this December, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Buttercup Cream Cake
Happy Hobbit Day!
@Home This Weekend: Garden Painting

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...