A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,883
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Winter to Summer Shirt Transformation  (Read 1155 times)
Tags for this thread: summer , shirt , sleeveless , transform , reconstructed  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
cmarion3
Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 15, 2018 05:30:31 AM »

I like sleeveless shirts in the summertime. They are not easy to find in my size and price range. And I wear them for camping, working in the garden and hate to start with something new that I'll wreck in no time. So time to reconstruct some shirts.

The red one had sleeves that were just a bit to tight and so I had hardly worn it. I may still remove the collar, but for now, this is for more civilized pursuits than gardening. The plaid ones were worn to softness and hadn't been worn much in the last couple of years.

I removed the sleeves and made binding out of one of them. The side seam was taken up and the armhole trimmed and reshaped a bit. I hate having to take the shirt on and off repeatedly to get things right, but it's worth it. Then I used the binding to finish the armhole. I love these shirts now.

I am digging through my closet for more!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018 05:55:56 AM »

They look so great and wow, what a pro finish binding the armholes gives! Totally worth that extra effort.
Have you seen those duct tape dress forms you can make that fit you exactly? I have always wanted one for this sort of garment fitting. It is too awkward putting on and taking off a shirt over and over again, especially with pins in it, ouch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C

I'm not online as much as I used to be, don't panic if it takes a while for me to reply to things Smiley.
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018 06:41:17 AM »

WOW! These turned out great! The binding you made for the sleeves really makes them look like they've always been sleeveless. Great way to get shirts for grubby summer activities, too - it's frustrating to have to buy something specifically to get ruined!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 89
'19 FPs: 64
cmarion3
Earth Crone

I'm a Craftster BEST OF 2013 Winner!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018 08:22:29 AM »

They look so great and wow, what a pro finish binding the armholes gives! Totally worth that extra effort.
Have you seen those duct tape dress forms you can make that fit you exactly? I have always wanted one for this sort of garment fitting. It is too awkward putting on and taking off a shirt over and over again, especially with pins in it, ouch!

Yes, I made a duct tape me several years ago and then stuck it in the basement because I have no room for it...then forgot all about it! Thanks for the reminder, though it was a few pounds ago........
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Must craft....must craft.....
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Room Divider
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...