A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 314,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
198 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Use The Good Beads! Prayer flag collection  (Read 1717 times)
Tags for this thread: prayer_flag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 19, 2018 08:34:36 AM »

When somebody you respect and admire goes through a major life event and offers a piece of solid advice, you'd be a fool not to listen. Recently edelC commented on how a big challenge in her life got her thinking that there is no time like the present for using the good beads, fabric, and yarn. That really affected me. I heard the background sentiments that NOW is the best time for doing the things you want, being right here, right now and embracing life. It got me reexamining my hoarding of the special stash and what the heck that was all about. I started looking at my collection with new eyes and since then I have been using the good beads etc and it is AWESOME!
I made this flag for Edel. The base is my most favourite piece of Shibori hand dyed with a group of other Craftsterers. The letters are a few kinds of faves from my scrap stash. The hanger was picked up on a road trip with my sweetie last summer at a really groovy little shop on Cape Breton Island.

There are tiny shell stars, glass leaf beads and wire wrapped flowers. The dragonfly is from a set of earrings given to me by a very special man. I don't wear them and they deserve to be flying free somewhere in the world.

Then I wanted one for myself to remind me every time I'm in the craft room. Mine has more of that shibori, a strip of shisha mirrors, and some really special beads. I was going to add the other dragonfly earring but it has escaped me somewhere in the studio, obviously it wants to be used for a different project.

Then I was inspired to keep making, I rarely create things for myself so this was cathartic. Here is "Love" with some very special beads and jewelry bits and the base is one of the first scrappy fabric pages I ever made.

I thought about the things that are really important to me and growing our own food is at the top of that list so here is "Grow". Sunshine, flowers, rain, and a bunch of special beads and buttons. This took me at least 5 hours to make but you know what? I am worth it.

And of course "Make". Backed with red velvet and including 3 glow-in-the-dark beads from suereal, a really special and important person I met here.

That last one still needs something but I'll let it tell me what whenever it happens.

I've got ideas swirling around my brain for one more, "Health". The plans are still hazy but I am committed to completing as many as I think up for myself.

Use the good beads, people!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
BeaG

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018 09:21:46 AM »

You are so right!
Use the good beads!

I have a list of chronic illnesses, that built up over the last 18 years (I'm 53) and little resistance to 'ordinary' diseases, and I have looked death in the eyes at least five times in my life already. Every day is hard, with a lot of pain, discomfort and exhaustion.
So yes, LIVE NOW!
And don't forget to ENJOY LIFE whenever you can!
Also, make a DIFFERENCE!

Your prayer flags are amazing!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018 09:22:41 AM by BeaG » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018 09:28:22 AM »

Well, this whole thing is just beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 35
kwality570
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018 09:31:03 AM »

Wow. This Use the Good Beads comment really made me think. Time to re-examine and use up some of those supplies and share the love!
Gorgeous prayer flags. Thanks so much for sharing!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018 09:31:25 AM by kwality570 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018 09:34:33 AM »

Thank you, ladies Smiley. I am really happy with them, the way they turned out but also just the act of creating something with "The Good Supplies". Now, when I look through my stuff the pieces that jump out at me first are the nicest ones. They beg to be used when before they wanted tucking away for some mythical future date. There is no tomorrow, only today. The older I get, the more that becomes not just empty words but a reality. How do I want to live? The best way possible is the answer.
XO friends Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
steiconi
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018 10:15:48 AM »

Lovely! 
I just did a major move, and got rid of all my craft supplies except one shoebox of tools and findings.  I sold or gave away all the rest, and never got to use all those treasures I had hoarded.

Use them now, or you might never get to!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
my website  http://wingsnthings.tripod.com/
my ebay  https://tinyurl.com/steiconi
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018 11:29:04 AM »

Fantastic sentiment and love your creative expression of it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smmarrt

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018 11:47:43 AM »

Love the story, love the flags.

Thanks for sharing - might copy the sentiment for myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Junk Journal-along in the Misc. Topics board
Altered Puzzle Pieces coming soon....
Another 4 x 6 Art Swap
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018 01:16:11 PM »

Lovely sentiment, and lovely crafting.  I think my favorite is the second 'good beads' flag, but the Love one is really up there too.  And the Grow....  Lol.  Fabulous work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018 03:45:26 PM »

Thank you all Smiley. I have them hung up in a row in the sewing room and I love looking at them, so encouraging.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: The Red, White, and Blue
May 23, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Candy Wrapper Bracelet

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...