A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 314,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
283 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Broken glass cools the throat  (Read 572 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Patraw

Jkl/z.?UCIO[;Tvadd!

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2018 11:23:13 AM »

EdelC's junkyard photograph reminded me of this doll house diorama (made by Caroline Hamilton, I think--it's been ages since I read/scanned the book I got these photos from) that used broken glass for the ice that all of the fish are resting on in this vintage fishmonger's store.  I distinctly recall the author mentioning that she, and her friend, both elderly women, were throwing and shattering glass on the pavement of a parking lot, much to the confusion/amusement of onlookers, to make all of the ice that they needed for this piece.  If imagining two old gals cackling and having a ball obliterating glass objects in public doesn't amuse you, then you've got a cold mackerel for a heart!  Grin

Anyway, the point of all this is that, if you ever need to make some tiny ice for a diorama, or perhaps for a miniature drink, broken glass is a great, and inexpensive (i.e., free) thing to consider.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018 12:06:56 PM »

That is so crazy awesome. I am fascinated with miniature scenes and wish I was better at creating them myself. I am working on something but it's taking years and years. Bet any scene like this doesn't happen over night though. I know there was at least one trip to a parking lot anyhow Cheesy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM IN NEED OF GIRAFFE ITEMS!
70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th this December, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Patraw

Jkl/z.?UCIO[;Tvadd!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018 12:16:52 PM »

I love them, but I very seldom have the patience for larger/longer projects like dioramas anymore.  I look forward to seeing whatever it is you're working on, even if it takes several more years! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

With hair!!!

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018 02:59:48 PM »

Ha! no cold mackerel hearts here (although cold mackerel is delicious)

but that is a great idea for broken glass, not that I need any encouragment to collect more random stuff. But re the car picture. I am kinda sad that it is rusting away in the junkyard, but at least there is a cool photo of it. I wish I could collect the way the paint had weathered away, it looked like the coolest mosaic.

anyway I am waffling, that diorama is so cool. It must have taken her ages.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am trying to destash and make all the things, so if you want a personal swap, pm me

in need of coffee filter papers (my new obsession, filter paper flowers for my wedding next year).

www.pinterest.com/edelc
Patraw

Jkl/z.?UCIO[;Tvadd!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018 09:23:39 AM »

It's kind of depressing, but edelC, you might enjoy this car junkyard musical number from The Brave Little Toaster, one of my favorite childhood animated movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcWeE3NMeBQ

Here's four more images I scanned and saved from the book, whose title I don't know, because, in my infinite wisdom, I just named the folder on my hard drive "Carol Hamilton" instead of the book title, which is unusual for me.  My mind's rusty on the details, but I believe some of these were done by Carol herself (who's British by the way), some by her friend, and some a collaboration between the two of them.  That dynamic duo make simply beautiful dollhouse dioramas, that's for sure!

Kitchen:

Toy Shop:

Stairway:

Bedroom:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

With hair!!!

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018 01:36:11 AM »

Wow they are just amazing. They remind me of Victorian dollhouses

Patraw-, I don't know where you are in the world, but I've a destination for your bucket list. The museum of childhood in bethnal green in london, UK. They have a big collection of dollhouses, (and toys generally) judging from some of your posts and this one in particular. It is your spiritual home. Obviously everything is behind glass but it's wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am trying to destash and make all the things, so if you want a personal swap, pm me

in need of coffee filter papers (my new obsession, filter paper flowers for my wedding next year).

www.pinterest.com/edelc
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

With hair!!!

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018 01:37:37 AM »

This is it http://www.vam.ac.uk/moc/collections/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.pinterest.com/edelc
Patraw

Jkl/z.?UCIO[;Tvadd!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018 07:14:19 AM »

Yes, that most definitely looks like a museum I'd really enjoy (they'd probably have to forcibly remove me at closing time! Cheesy)  Thanks for the link; lots of great photos on their site.

I live in Michigan, USA.  I've never been to England, but, my youngest sister went once, to visit her boyfriend at the time, when he was stationed there in the military.  If I ever do visit that country, I'll definitely have to make plans to stop at that museum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Easy No-Sew Halloween Bunting
Witch, Please!
Meatless Monday: Buttercup Cream Cake

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...