A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 314,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
117 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tasked with the creation of a giant craft elephant - ideas?  (Read 505 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

MichaelAngelo
« on: April 09, 2018 10:39:09 AM »

Hello all,

I'm reaching out to the forum for design ideas. I've been tasked with the creation of a giant craft elephant for the purpose of a themed-party based off of the recent Kardashian baby shower.

My craft skills are somewhat limited, and I'm very much trying to simplify this into something I can put together in an afternoon. Perhaps constructing something out of grey bristol boards? Any advice on how to build a frame to attach everything to?

Thanks for all your ideas!

Link to the picture of the elephant I'm trying to roughly replicate:  https://m0.her.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/12083340/Screen-Shot-2018-03-12-at-08.15.26.png
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Patraw

Jkl/z.?UCIO[;Tvadd!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018 10:53:41 AM »

This is the type of thing that MichaelAngelo is trying to make:

Scale-up a slot puzzle elephant maybe?  You could then "flesh out" the frame with other materials to make it more 3-dimensional.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018 12:36:50 PM by Patraw - Reason: added photo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MichaelAngelo
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018 10:56:14 AM »

Scale-up a slot puzzle elephant maybe?  You could then "flesh out" the frame with other materials to make it more 3-dimensional.

Not a bad idea Smiley  Any idea where I could find massive pieces of corrugated cardboard that I could use to build the body?

Also, what would be the best way to cut corrugated cardboard accurately at this size (maybe 4' by 6')?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018 11:00:45 AM by MichaelAngelo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Patraw

Jkl/z.?UCIO[;Tvadd!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018 11:03:26 AM »

Check out some furniture/appliance/etc. stores or schools/universities and ask them if they have any extra big boxes that they don't want (which they likely do).  You could just cruise around the back of some businesses and see if there's anything put out by their dumpsters for recycling as well.

Where I live, tomorrow just happens to be paper/cardboard recycling garbage day (my city alternates between fibers and rigids every other week), so, if garbage day is coming up for you as well, you might get lucky and find someone who put out a bunch of big cardboard pieces if you take a look around your neighborhood.

A utility knife or boxcutter would probably be my choice for cutting a bunch of big cardboard pieces.  Scissors will also work, but your hands would probably get pretty tired/sore after a while.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018 11:05:27 AM by Patraw - Reason: added cutting advice » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MichaelAngelo
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018 11:16:50 AM »

Awesome!  Any ideas what I could wrap it with to fill it out?  I was thinking grey tissue paper and then using two rolls of white Bristol board to cover the tusks.  Or grey bristol board over the body instead of the tissue paper?  It would take fairly accurate cutting however.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Patraw

Jkl/z.?UCIO[;Tvadd!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018 11:32:55 AM »

There are any number of things you could do.

Yes, you could use gray tissue paper as the final covering.  I'd bunch up newsprint and tape that into place, all over the frame, to build up the musculature first, and then do a final layer of tissue paper over that for the coloring (or paint it).

You could get a bunch of duct tape and wrap the frame.  The standard gray/silver color would just happen to be perfect for an elephant to boot.

You could wrap the frame in plastic garbage bags and/or old sheets and paint those.

If cost isn't an object, you could mix up a bunch of that lightweight foam stuff that rapidly hardens, cover the frame with that, and then paint it.  You could probably "sculpt" the foam a bit before it hardens too, giving the elephant's skin some texture.

If you can find some good-sized chunks of white Styrofoam, you could probably cut/carve some tusks out of that too.

Be mindful of how big/heavy your elephant is getting though, as transportation, or just getting it into/out of buildings/rooms could become quite problematic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
excelsior
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018 12:48:18 PM »

I assume you will also be transporting this to the party site as well?  So keep in mind how you are going to fit the finished product into your car.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MichaelAngelo
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018 09:17:04 AM »

Thanks for the help so far.  I was browsing google and came across this one made out of balloons, but wasn't sure what the frame for something like this could be made of? Also would there be any specific technique to achieve the symmetry and coverage of the balloons as pictured?

Link to image:  https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d0/09/41/d00941c397b297662c719490dc7c468a.jpg

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018 09:19:07 AM by MichaelAngelo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Patraw

Jkl/z.?UCIO[;Tvadd!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018 12:16:49 PM »

I dunno, I've never made balloon stuff like that.  I'd guess wire for the frame, but I could be wrong.  

Since you probably can't upload photos yet with your low post count, I did it for you, so that others can more easily see what you're talking about and perhaps offer some advice:

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018 12:20:11 PM by Patraw - Reason: added photo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Buttercup Cream Cake
Happy Hobbit Day!
@Home This Weekend: Garden Painting

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...