A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: The December Craft Challenge has been announced. Read all of the details here and get to crafting!
Total Members: 314,958
Currently Running With Scissors:
250 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to finish a sweater quilt, advice please?  (Read 434 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 09, 2018 08:54:16 AM »

Made from natural fiber sweaters felted in the wash, different fiber content and varying thicknesses and density. It was tricky to put together, had to be pushed through the machine to keep the seams from getting too wavy so my shoulders are pretty achy. I triple stitched each seam too, pain in the bum but made it nice and flat so worth it I think. Now I am just stuck on how to finish the edge.

It could be backed in something with buttons or ties at each of the crosses. Sewn like a giant pillow case and then turned right side out and edged stitch around the outside. I've got a couple of wool blankets I could use or I could buy fabric if I find some that is wide enough, or I could buy suiting wool and piece that together.
Or leave it a light-weight single layer and just finish the edge somehow. Maybe a bias like binding from more sweaters or a wide pre-fab satin. What do you think?
I'm still considering buying more sweaters and making a couple more rows so it's big enough for both the fella and I to snuggle under as a movie blanket but I was really trying to cut down on sweater stash with this project, not add to it. Isn't that always the way? LOL

I would like it noted that each of the crosses is perfectly aligned, I am very pleased with how that turned out considering the differences in the fabric. Yay me! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018 09:09:15 AM »

Super impressed on that stitching!! You could always poke holes and do a fancy crochet border  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018 09:16:10 AM »

Oh my gosh, I never even considered that. What an amazing idea! sheepBlue, you are brilliant! I have just the yarn too! We bought this lovely hand spun wool on our road trip to the east coast last summer, our first trip on our own without the kids. We had Such a great time. The man would love it if I finished our blanket with that yarn. Now to figure out just how to do it... Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018 09:35:12 AM »

I have done that with hankies and fabric...I would suggest that you make a cardboard template the size of your squares and draw the holes along the side...use the template for each square so you will have an evenly spaced edging. In the corners, decide whether you want a squared off edging or a rounded one...you will have to stick a few more stitches in one hole in each corner to make the turn.

another lovely blanket, CLM!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018 09:43:06 AM »

Thank you for the advice, I wasn't sure how to add the stitches evenly with no pulling or puckering. I think a rounded corner would be nice. I rummaged our closets and found a couple more sweaters that don't get worn anymore so I will add 2 more rows to make it an even 7X7 patch square. I might need to buy 3 more to make up the rest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2018: Pop Top Pin Cushion
Meatless Monday: Tomato Vegetable Lentil Soup
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2018: Monsters!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...