A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 314,682
Currently Running With Scissors:
212 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Which type of fabric to use for vintage dress?  (Read 278 times)
Tags for this thread: vintage , dress , fabric , 1960 , 1950 , sewing  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

LibbyDale
« on: April 02, 2018 03:49:37 PM »

Hi, I'm new-ish to sewing (almost intermediate?) and very new to vintage sewing.

I found this really cool free (public domain) 1950-60s sewing resource  https://archive.org/stream/PatternDraftingAndGradingByMichaelRohr1961/Pattern%20Drafting%20and%20Grading%20by%20Michael%20Rohr%2C%201961#page/n37/mode/2up

and want to learn how to sew some of the dresses for my etsy shop. (specifically the raglan dress, on page 38, or "IV"as the book calls it.) I've already muslined the basic bodice and am about to work on making the pattern for the raglan dress, via the instructions in the book.

The problem is, I don't know what fabric to use for the raglan dress (or any of the other dresses if I decided to sew them too) the book only covers how to make the PATTERN, not sew the actual garment. I'm not sure if I should go for a heavy fabric, light fabric, cotton, etc, or what type of fabric to use. It does say the dress will need a stiffened crinoline petticoat underneath, does that mean it might support heavier cotton? I want to make the dress durable as well. The dress has an 8 gored skirt for its bottom half.

could anyone help me? Does anyone have experience with vintage sewing and the fabrics used? Any input or advice at all would be greatly appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
October 17, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Magic Wands
Halloween Houses (Haunted, of course!)

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...