A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: The December Craft Challenge has been announced. Read all of the details here and get to crafting!
Total Members: 314,958
Currently Running With Scissors:
235 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Unicorn or Mermaid Cookie Mix in a Jar - with Tutorial & Recipe  (Read 5083 times)
Tags for this thread: mason_jar , canning_jar , gifts_in_a_jar , gift_idea , unicorn , mermaid , cookie , recipe , tutorial , april_fools_2018 , unicornucopia , project_of_the_week  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 01, 2018 09:25:30 AM »

Unicorn & Mermaid Cookie Mix in a Jar!

Being a sparkle unicorn princess, I subsit on a diet consisting mostly of cookies, with the occasional wildflower salad or stardust smoothie.  In order to make mealtimes more convenient, I decided to whip up some pre-made cookie mixes to have on hand when Im in a rush, or for when my fellow unicorn princess friends show up unexpectedly.  These also make great gifts, for the special children, princesses, or mermaids in your life.  I've done the tutorial with the Mermaid cookie mix, but the unicorn one is nearly identical, so I'll list any changes in parentheses as we go along.

Ingredients - listed per single jar of cookie mix
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Gel food colorings
1/3 cup light brown sugar packed
cup EACH pearl chocolate candies in green and blue
       (These are sixlets, found in cake decorating area of grocery stores or the wedding/party cake area in Walmart)  
1 - 1.5 cup white chocolate chips
Sprinkles (if desired, used in Unicorn Cookie jars)
1-quart Mason jar

Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.  Whisk to combine.

Use a canning funnel, (or a rolled sheet of paper turned into a funnel) to pour in the flour.  

At this point you need to check on your flour, because it will be in an uneven layer.  Shake jar to evenly distribute the flour mix, then tap gently on the counter several times to get the flour to settle and pack itself in.

My apologies, as this picture makes it look as though the flour is still uneven, but it is because the picture was taken at an angle.  I promise, it's flat.  If need be, use a spoon to lightly pack it down a bit further.

Pour your granulated sugar into a bowl, and add 2 drops of your blue gel food coloring.  Mix really well, to evenly distribute the color.  (For unicorn cookies tint your sugar pink or purple.)

You may need to add more gel color to get your desired shade.  I believe I used about 4 or 5 drops to get this shade of blue.

Use the funnel again, to pour your sugar layer on.  I found that pouring my sugar around the edges of the funnel (rather than straight down) gave me a much more even layer.  Again, tap your jar gently on the counter to settle the sugar layer.  

Same deal with your brown sugar.  I found that sprinkling it in by hand (since it had been packed into the measuring cup), allowed me to distribute it more evenly.  

Now, use a spoon to tamp the brown sugar down, packing it more firmly around the edges of the jar, and leaving a small (but still packed) hill in the middle.  (This is so that when we pour in our round pearl candies next, we will see more of them through the jar, as they will pool in the lower edges.)  The act of packing it into the jar, also will help form a seal of brown sugar, keeping the blue granulated sugar and flour in place, rather than letting them spill into the candies above.

Pour in your green sixlets into the jar, and gently shake to evenly distribute.  (For unicorn cookies pour in purple, white & silver sixlets, purple sugar pearls.  Then add 1 Tablespoon of rainbow pearl sprinkles, allowing them to settle down in between the sixlets.)

Next layer in 1 cup of your white chocolate chips.  (Same for Unicorn cookies.)  On top of these add your blue sixlets.  (For unicorn cookies then add rainbow heart candies or more sixlets.)  Now, if you have any space left in the top of your jar, fill it in with more white chocolate chips.  You want the jars to be packed pretty tight, so that the layers don't get mixed up.

Make some cute tags with the instructions for baking, and decorate the jars with a square of pretty cloth, or with ribbons or yarn.  I created my tags with my Silhouette Cameo, cutting background tags out of purple and teal cardstock, then layering lacy cream paper with the recipe over them, and tying them all on with seam binding and fluffy yarns from my stash. 

RECIPE TO INCLUDE WITH THE JAR:
-Pour the contents of the jar into a large bowl and stir to combine. Add 1/2 cup of barely melted (not hot) unsalted butter, 1 beaten egg, and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Stir until combined. Chill for 30 minutes.
-Make golf ball sized portions of dough and place the dough balls onto lined baking sheets. Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes, until the centers of the cookies are just barely set.

And there you are, all ready for gift giving.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018 01:04:49 PM by Mistress Majestic Unicorn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

anna.wahnsinn

You cannot give me too much work; to accumulate work has almost become a passion with me: my study is so full of it now, that there is hardly an inch of room for any more. I shall have to throw out a wing soon. (J.K.Jerome)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018 09:45:27 AM »

I was just looking for the perfect food to feed not only me but also my two Unicorn fillies one of which might yet turn out to be a mermaid after all so this comes at exactly the right time. Lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindyv321
Cooking Moderator

My fingers are itchin' to be stitchin'

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018 09:56:16 AM »

These are fantastic!!! So pretty and perfect for all your unicorn friends
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018 10:06:08 AM »

These are almost too pretty to use...but being a unicorn princess I doubt I could hold myself back from that rainbow fantasticness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!

I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art..."  Vladimir Nabok
sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018 10:13:28 AM »

These are so beautiful I could cry. Cheesy  Love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018 10:32:34 AM »

So pretty and clever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy
Pinterest
My Etsy: Bubble Off Plumb Productions

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 84
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018 11:52:41 AM »

I wanna mix up several batches of this to share with my friends...so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Winter Market 2018
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018 12:23:27 PM »

You have no idea how happy these make me. They are so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018 12:26:22 PM »

Oh. My. That is amazing! I would be tempted to open a jar and just start spooning it into my mouth, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Quasior13
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018 07:45:27 AM »

Beautiful.  Now to figure it out as gluten free....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2018: Pop Top Pin Cushion
Meatless Monday: Tomato Vegetable Lentil Soup
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2018: Monsters!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...