A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is super awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 314,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
130 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Treat pouches with tutorial  (Read 850 times)
Tags for this thread: treat_bag , tutorial , easter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 31, 2018 09:03:06 AM »

I've seen some bunnies like this and thought I'd try my hand at making them from from felted sweater stash but craft felt would work just as well. Hand sewing would also work for this project. Those fabrics turn out a bit fuzzy so unwrapped treats should be in a small zipper baggie.

First trace 2 small circles on a piece of plastic with sharpie marker.

Place that on the wrong side of a piece of fabric and pin in place.

Machine sew along the inner circle then trim at the outer circle. *** notes on how to machine sew plastic below Smiley.

Turn the fabric over and very carefully trim away the fabric inside the sewn line to reveal the little window.

I used freezer paper for the shapes I wanted. Hold the fabric up the light to centre the shape and gently press in place with a hot, dry iron for only a second or 2. Take great care not to melt the plastic! Iron around the sides of the shape. You could also opt to draw directly onto the fabric and sew along that line, whatever works best for you.

The back will be 2 pieces that overlap about a half inch or so. Place front and back wrong sides together so the nice side of the fabric shows on both front and back.

Pin in place and sew around the edge of the freezer paper (or drawn line) taking care not to catch it under the needle.

Peel off the paper, trim very close to the stitched line and voila!
I'm afraid the egg ones are shaped more like avocados but considering what's inside I don't anticipate any complaints, ha ha.

I did a variety of shapes:

Loops could be attached to the tops of these to hang them up. They'd look cute on a tree or hidden in unexpected places for older kids to find on a treat hunt.

***I have a special slippy plastic presser foot for sewing vinyl but if you do not have such a thing a small piece of scotch tape on the bottom of a regular machine foot will work, the one labelled "magic" that's a bit hazy instead of completely clear. It will peel off if you remove it right after your project. I have found the tape gets a bit extra stuck when left for a long enough time. If the tape does not work for you, placing a small piece of tissue paper over the plastic will do it though you may find it difficult to see the traced circle. In that case draw the circle right on the tissue, sandwich everything and pin it in place and it should sew just fine.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018 09:05:59 AM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM IN NEED OF GIRAFFE ITEMS!
70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th this December, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018 09:41:24 AM »

These are so great! And I can imagine them becoming a treasured tradition. I'm glad you mentioned the craft felt option, because I have some felt stash to bust, a remnant of clear vinyl, and some ideas for Halloween! Pinning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 67
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018 09:53:31 AM »

Ooh, Groovy! I am so looking forward to seeing what you make for October. Fun fun!

I'm going to figure out a woven fabric version too. That will be a bit more work I think, a good scrap-stash buster though Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th this December, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018 10:01:23 AM »

Very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeaG

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018 10:37:07 AM »

Thanks for the tutorial!
I never saw anything like this before.
I might give it a try.
They are lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018 11:17:44 AM »

Glad you like it Smiley. One thing I didn't think to say is that the fold over part is best above the clear circle, that way you can't see an opening even if you stuff the shape with lots of treats, nothing will fall out either. You can add a wee bit of velcro or a snap to the opening if you want to make sure it's very secure. I didn't bother, they close up just fine as is. Maybe if they were bigger that would be a good thing to include.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018 11:27:30 AM »

Ooh, Groovy! I am so looking forward to seeing what you make for October. Fun fun!

I'm going to figure out a woven fabric version too. That will be a bit more work I think, a good scrap-stash buster though Wink.

I had actually considered wovens already, too. I think not so different than many of the throw pillow covers I've made, just smaller and instead of applique, it's window.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 67
blupaisan

I work for Cats.

if you are Scottish lord then I am Mickey Mouse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018 01:08:15 PM »

awesome!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are the Redcoats. And they are ours! Or tonight Becky Thatcher sleeps a widow!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018 04:51:43 PM »

Very clever and I can see a lot of holiday treats being packaged this way!

I must be missing something, though...how do you get the treat inside? Is there a place open for it?  I think I am not understanding the fold over part...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018 07:08:31 AM »

Oh my goodness! What a cute idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Easy No-Sew Halloween Bunting
Witch, Please!
Meatless Monday: Buttercup Cream Cake

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...