A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 314,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
201 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Traveler's Notebook cover - HP Style!  (Read 663 times)
Tags for this thread: notebook_cover , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

fatewineroses
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 29, 2018 12:18:59 PM »

Soooo....I have used a notebook forever. My memory sucks. So I try to write stuff down. I got sucked into the bujo world a couple years ago and have always loved Moleskeines. Because I have multiple things going on, I was finding keeping a single book a pain in the rear. So I have been looking at Traveler's Notebooks for a while.

But as a Craftster, you're always looking at something and saying..."Man...I can make that!" Right? So that's what I did.

I did a search and there are several YouTube tutorials; but most of them use cardboard. Others use the materials I might use to make a wallet or a purse; but they leave raw edges. I wanted something more finished. I *did* find a couple videos using a process like I used; but they were very basic and did not include pockets. I wanted pockets.

I made my Traveler to fit "regular size" inserts; but it will also hold a "large" size insert comfortably. It has four "strings" and currently is holding four regular size dotted inserts. It could easily hold two or three more. Instead of using elastic cord, I used the stretchy elastic commonly used as hair rubber bands as of late. I like the texture and shimmery quality, as well as the thought that it's a little less likely to snap in my face.  Shocked

I used quilting cotton (Hufflepuff) with some sparkly linen I have been hoarding. You can't see the sparkly bits very well; but it just looks fabulous together! It only has two pockets; but I love the angled edges. I used 809 interfacing on the quilting cotton, along with a firm Peltex center. I used one sided fusible for this one, or 71F. It made it firm enough for my taste. I'd seen one done with a foam and another with a fleece. Knowing those as I do, I knew it would be either too floppy (fleece) or to fat (foam) for my taste. I made a pen loop, but I made it too big and I'm not pleased with it. I will probably cut it off and make a removable one with a binder clip.

It is only missing a charm to go on it. I finished it last night at about ten and was so pleased I wanted to put it to use right away! I probably will make a couple more eventually. I have some fabric I have been hoarding to make something for someone..myself. If anyone would be interested in a tutorial, I can make one when I make my next one. 

I haven't decorated all of my inserts yet. My bf got me a Sprocket printer and I'm slowly but surely printing off stuff to stick on them!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
excelsior
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018 01:31:05 PM »

I am not familiar with Traveler notebooks, but I like the side pockets on the left in picture 3.  In the first photo, what are those yellow bands at the bottom, do they run the length of the notebook so you can insert notebooks and remove them when filled?  Also, did you make a spot to insert a writing device?  You should be sure to write your contact info in case it becomes lost!  I imagine if someone found this they would be tempted to keep it for themselves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT
There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018 02:33:51 PM »

AMAZEBALLZ! I foresee me tumbling down a "traveler" rabbit hole in the near future!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb

'16 FPs: 50
'17 FPs: 72
'18 FPs: 54
fatewineroses

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018 03:28:21 PM »

I am not familiar with Traveler notebooks, but I like the side pockets on the left in picture 3.  In the first photo, what are those yellow bands at the bottom, do they run the length of the notebook so you can insert notebooks and remove them when filled?  Also, did you make a spot to insert a writing device?  You should be sure to write your contact info in case it becomes lost!  I imagine if someone found this they would be tempted to keep it for themselves.

Thanks!  Normally Traveler's are strung with elastic cording. You slide your smaller notebooks on the bands to hold them in. You can actually add additional notebooks in using "connector rubber bands" as well. The basic Traveler has two strings. I knew I was going to want to stuff this puppy full, so I looked up how to add more. I could probably stuff this with six or eight notebooks. I used the wider elastic called "fold over elastic" that is often used as hair bands as of late instead of the cording. I'm considering changing the inside elastic out for the cording though. It's a bit bulky. I love it for the wrap around one though. It's just a touch shimmery and soft to the touch.

I added a pen loop but it ended up being ginormous. I will probably snip it off and make one from a binder clip. The ones I have seen like that I really liked. In anticipation of doing this project, I bought a small collection of different the elastic stuff in all sorts of colors.

Only thing it is missing now is some bling. Typically, females that use Travelers tend to put charms on them and dangly jewelry. I like the look and think I want to do that.

AMAZEBALLZ! I foresee me tumbling down a "traveler" rabbit hole in the near future!

Look for me when you get down the rabbit hole. I'm still down there somewhere!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geekgirl1000100

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018 05:06:13 AM »

Awesome work!

I came across this type of notebook a while back and thought it was cool.  A few days ago I decided I wanted to make one and for the life of me couldn't remember what the name was and had trouble googling it.  So your post was very well timed!  I have a week to make one for my intended purpose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Keep on crafting!

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018 06:30:45 AM »

awesome, work...It is nice to see the foldover elastic in use...I have been looking for nice elastic and found a bunch but it said it was foldover, which I had no idea what that was...but I assumed like binding bias tape except stretchy...

I also want it for notebooks, so I am going to buy them now!  Thanks (I think! Grin)...

I do love the angled pockets in the inside...

I would love to make a few of these to hold this type of journal, as it is my favorite for designing, drawing, etc. Since I also would like multiple journals for my multiple brain forgetting or thinking of multiple things, the way you do those bands would be especially welcomed...pretty please?

Inspiring work...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects 2018 59/75
PINTEREST
355 days until retirement!!! Beach here I come!
Need some supplies?  I am destashing..maybe I have what you need! PM me!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018 12:03:40 PM »

That looks great! I've used that elastic as trim on undies, it is a pain to pin & stitch. Probably better as book holders, haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM IN NEED OF GIRAFFE ITEMS!
70 giraffe gifts for mom's 70th this December, party decorations too. Please message me if you can help, thanks Smiley.

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
fatewineroses

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018 04:21:55 PM »

awesome, work...It is nice to see the foldover elastic in use...I have been looking for nice elastic and found a bunch but it said it was foldover, which I had no idea what that was...but I assumed like binding bias tape except stretchy...

I also want it for notebooks, so I am going to buy them now!  Thanks (I think! Grin)...

I do love the angled pockets in the inside...

I would love to make a few of these to hold this type of journal, as it is my favorite for designing, drawing, etc. Since I also would like multiple journals for my multiple brain forgetting or thinking of multiple things, the way you do those bands would be especially welcomed...pretty please?

Inspiring work...

I used a tute by Chic Sparrow from YouTube. This one gives you four elastics. Each elastic (with connectors) can hold two notebooks...giving you the possibility of EIGHT notebooks. As you size, remember to size for that depth.  Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq31dIXRfO8
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Where is my Cosmo?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018 10:37:40 AM »

Congrats! This has been chosen as a Featured Project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018 08:27:12 AM »

Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...