A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,933
Currently Running With Scissors:
390 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Butter chicken with tandoori masala  (Read 874 times)
Tags for this thread: indian_food , dinner , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2018 04:25:33 PM »

I made up some Tandoori masala (spice mix) to get some different flavourings into our dinners. The kids have been complaining about us always having the same old thing Undecided. It's because there are only a few dishes all 5 of us enjoy and/or can actually eat so, short of making more than one meal at a time to satisfy everybody at once, my range has been a bit limited.
Tandoori masala is an ingredient used in butter chicken which all of us enjoy so that's what I made for dinner tonight. Everybody claimed to like it I'm happy to say  Smiley.

Here's the recipe:

Chicken:
Mix about 1/2 cup tandoori masala with 1/3 cup yogurt and 2 Tbsp lime or lemon juice, marinate chicken for at least 8 hours, over night if possible. I used 2 med breasts and a couple of thighs.
Heat the oven to 375 and cook chicken chunks in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or in a shallow glass dish for about 10 minutes, until nearly cooked through but not quite. Set aside

**You do not need tandoori masala or tandoori paste to make butter chicken so if you'd rather a simpler version you can skip that part and add the raw chicken chunks right to the sauce, simmer until they are cooked through, not too long or they can become tough.

Sauce:
Melt about 2 Tbsp of butter in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and slowly saut 1 large thinly sliced onion over med heat to caramelize it. If it's getting browned at all turn the heat down, this is best done low and slow.
Add 2 cloves of minced or crushed garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute or so.
Add 2 more Tbsp of butter, melt and stir in
    1 Tbsp garam masala
    2 tsp paprika
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp cumin
Stir about until fragrant, a minute or so (I put it all in at once because I cheat, ha ha).

Add one can of tomato sauce or diced tomatoes, bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. Diced tomato yeilds more of a rose sauce flavour, sauce will amalgamate with the other flavours more. Both are nice, whichever you prefer is fine.
Slowly pour in heavy cream, the amount can be from 1-3 cups depending on your tastes. I recommend you eyeball the amount of sauce that will go best with the amount of chicken you prepared. Use a stick blender to puree it all, not completely smooth but no large chunks remaining. Here is where you exercise a little kitchen finesse and don't make the immersion blender spray creamy tomato sauce all over the counter, your clothes, the cell phone, etc. Sigh.
Taste and salt as needed.
Bring back to a simmer and once bubbling add the chicken. Simmer just until the meat is cooked through, too much may toughen it up.
Remove from heat, stir in 2 more Tbsp of butter and serve immediately over rice or with fresh, hot naan bread. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and a wedge of lime.

Please let me know if anything is not clear enough in my instructions Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PLEASE MESSAGE ME YOUR CONTACT INFO!!!!!!!!

Craftster member 2006-2020 #CraftsterFriendsForver #craftyfriendsforever

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
LimeRiot
Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018 08:57:06 PM »

This looks so yummy and full of flavor. I can almost smell it through my computer screen Smiley. Thanks for sharing the recipe. The sauce looks delicious and easy!

I just had something similar but with chickpeas instead of chicken and that was tasty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018 01:21:53 PM »

Thanks for the recipe.  I tried to make butter chicken last month and it didn't turn out so great.  But now I can use your recipe!  And I know how you feel about trying to find dinners that everybody is happy with, and still not get bored.  It takes half the fun out of cooking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The thing about believing that you can do anything is that you actually do things!
craftylittlemonkey
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018 01:37:42 PM »

It was very good the next day and the day after that I used the last bit for soup along with the biryani rice from earlier in the week, delish!

One note about this sauce is that using a can of diced tomatoes yields a fresh and ripe taste, very tomatoey if you know what I mean. I think it could use a good long simmer with the onions and spices before adding in the cream and chicken. In fact, the next time I make it I might do the sauce a day or two before. I tend to simmer any tomato based sauce for a long time to bring out the richness of the flavours, this will be the same in future.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018 01:38:36 PM by craftylittlemonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PLEASE MESSAGE ME YOUR CONTACT INFO!!!!!!!!

Craftster member 2006-2020 #CraftsterFriendsForver #craftyfriendsforever

"Always use the good beads, the good fabric and the good yarn. Life is too short to leave it waiting in stash." ~ Edel C
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...