A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,765
Currently Running With Scissors:
200 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Memory Game, Hogwarts version  (Read 591 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
blupaisan
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I work for Cats.

I am the DandiGirl, koo koo ka choo.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2018 10:52:39 AM »

I found a second-hand memory game featuring harvest machinery of all things, and turned it into something classier.

What I bought...

I cut out covers from good quality paperstock and glued them over the old graphics.
Some tips on this....

Dip your dipper (I used a piece from the same cardstock) into your modpodge jar and begin spreading.

Use a backwards motion as if you were using a metal spreader on cement or the like. Doing a backwards motion gives it all a super nice even spread so your paper will not be rippled as it dries. Or ever.

After glue is spread, work quickly before that thin layer begins to set up.
Line up your cover paper on the old card, press just to get it started. Do a bit of jiggling to get the sides lined up as accurately as possible.
You are about to put it under heavy books to get it to really grip nicely. But, as this rather lame photo shows, flip the card so that the paper is on the BOTTOM and the old card is staring up at you.  One last touch or two at the sides to be sure you cannot see any paper peeking out, and go ahead and add the heavy book or two.
As you play the game, it is good to have each piece look like the other. This is why you dry the pieces with paper side down, so as you look straight down on the card, it is easier to see if any tiny bit of paper is sticking out. If you had it the other way around, there might be paper sticking out (thus giving a hint after playing the game a few times that 'the card with the paper a bit out on the left always has the snitch on it') but you might have that stickyouty paper mistake unseen.
I think I have muddled things somewhat in this explanation so I will just sigh and go on to show you  how I decorated the  cards once they dried....

Just sharpies for outline

and I added a tiny splash of color somewhere on each card

I added a couple of humorous bits to one full card and one bit of a card

The original game was manufactured on really nice heavy duty cardboard, built to last years so i hope the family who now owns this will get many happy years of playing

THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are the Redcoats. And they are ours! Or tonight Becky Thatcher sleeps a widow!
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm so squishy!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018 12:25:14 PM »

It makes me giggle that the game you found pictured farm equipment.  I say that b/c when I taught, I also tested the students, and part of the testing was identifying pictures of things.  It was interesting to see what kids who had never seen a farm would call a tractor, etc...  The test had to be "normed" to be used across the USA so the creators of the test picked the pictures they did for a reason, but it always made me giggle! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl
ETSY SHOP: www.etsy.com/shop/LadybuggirlCrafts
Personal & etsy Instagram:  http://instagram.com/ladybggrl/

Too blessed to be stressed! Smiley
Patraw

C'mon, pegasister, quit foaling around!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018 08:31:59 AM »

That's a nice Harry Potter personal redesign of an existing Memory card set.  It's interesting that the original cards are rectangular and have two images on them, as the ones I see are always square and have a single image.

I have a great many digital versions of Memory, but I don't think I have any physical copies, although that's definitely one of the most common games I see at the thrift stores I frequent.  I'm okay at Memory if there are around 10-20 cards, but my brain gets frazzled with more than that.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Autumn Wreath
September 11, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: 30 Minute Skirt

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...