A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 321,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
253 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: iso: someone who can make something  (Read 429 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

libby2595
« on: March 07, 2018 08:06:35 AM »

i'm not sure if this is allowed, so forgive me if it's not.

i'm hosting a surprise 50th birthday party and would love that the cake topper be a polymer clay replica of the birthday boy's dirt buggy. i've looked for someone on etsy but no luck.

is there anyone here who might be able to help me make this birthday cake the most amazing in the world?
i don't expect it to be exact... there are so many parts on that thing. i would like to have the replica be recognizable: decals on the sides, the big lights on top, the whip in the back.

thanks in advance for any and all help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Patraw

Sparklers aren't toothpaste!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018 08:36:48 AM »

My advice would be to have a look in the toy aisles, see if you can find something that approximates the vehicle in question, and then customize/kitbash it further yourself to match the birthday boy's ride.  I don't know what your guy's dirt buggy looks like, but looking through some photos of them on Google, it seems like you could get pretty far just by gluing together and attaching some rods and panels to a wheeled chassis.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
libby2595
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018 08:41:55 AM »

My advice would be to have a look in the toy aisles, see if you can find something that approximates the vehicle in question, and then customize/kitbash it further yourself to match the birthday boy's ride.  I don't know what your guy's dirt buggy looks like, but looking through some photos of them on Google, it seems like you could get pretty far just by gluing together and attaching some rods and panels to a wheeled chassis.

this is definitely not a bad idea. hadn't thought of it.

not sure how far i would get being that it's a custom build lol my luck
but it's definitely worth a shot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Patraw

Sparklers aren't toothpaste!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018 09:11:01 AM »

Thinking about it further, another alternative idea that occurred to me is papercraft.  You could make a fold-up cardboard body and attach that to a plastic toy chassis or make the entire thing out of cardstock.  Papercraft projects can vary wildly in complexity, but here are some samples I found on Google just now (the third photo is a very easy/simple one):

it's not a dirt buggy, but this is a press-out slot-together cardstock/Styrofoam stock car kit (no glue required!) that I bought from Dollar Tree and assembled years ago.  With a bit of creativity, you could probably modify something like this into a dirt buggy too:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over
Meatless Monday: Summer Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...